-Press Release, Vance-Granville Community College
This fall, the Information Technology department at Vance-Granville Community College will launch two new programs: Healthcare Informatics and Cyber Security.
Healthcare Informatics is a program designed to provide students with a foundation in computer technology and information sciences as they apply to supporting decisions in the healthcare fields. Students will focus on computer software, networks and security, programming and operating systems, and database management, as well as healthcare topics in medical language, the health insurance industry, and healthcare laws. Classes will be offered online and in a day program on the main campus in Henderson, NC.
The Information Technology department offers a Healthcare Informatics Support Certificate consisting of 5 classes and 15 credit hours and an associate’s degree which requires the completion of 67 credits. The IT-Healthcare Informatics program is designed for computer professionals, nurses, and healthcare administration professionals as they prepare to work for healthcare providers, hospitals, and government entities.
Graduates will be eligible to prepare for industry certifications through CompTIA, Microsoft (Microsoft Technical Associate – Database Administration Fundamentals and Microsoft Office Specialists certifications) and the Health Information and Management Systems Society (CPHIM – Certified Professional in Health Information and Management Systems).
Cyber Security is the first-ever program at VGCC offered through the Information Technology department that provides students with training in securing information and defending data within computer systems, including hardware, software, and electronic data. The program places an emphasis on classes in network vulnerabilities, cyber-crime activity, and security risk management providing students with highly sought-after skills in ensuring confidentiality, maintaining integrity and availability of information, researching emerging security threats, and recognizing vulnerabilities. The curriculum is also aligned with exam material for many industry certifications for IT-security professionals.
The IT-Cyber Security program will be offered at the Franklin Campus in Louisburg, NC. The IT department will offer a 15-credit hour certificate in Cyber Security Support and an associate’s degree consisting of 67 credits. Classes will be offered online through distance education and on campus in a day program. The Cyber Security program is designed for individuals interested in technology, interacting with computers, and problem-solving and analyzing data and information.
Graduates of Cyber Security will be eligible for positions in information technology specializing in security for a variety of industries including healthcare and research, technology firms, banking and finance, and military and government agencies. To compete in this fast-growing industry, students will also be encouraged to obtain industry certifications, such as CompTIA Security+, ITF+, Net+, A+, and the *CySA+ Cyber Security Analyst.
*The CompTIA CySA+ certification is an IT workforce certification for IT professionals looking to gain the following security analyst skills: (https://certification.comptia.org)
- Data analysis and interpretation of results to identify vulnerabilities, threats, and risks
- Configure and use threat-detection tools
- Secure and protect applications and systems within an organization.
For more information about these two new curriculum programs, please contact Faith Harris, program head for Information Technology at 252-738-3235
New students can find admissions information on our website: https://www.vgcc.edu/admissions
Connect With The Author
- Vance Co. Schools’ Student Spotlight Winners Tour Washington, D.C. - June 24, 2019
- West End Community Watch Hears From Planning Director on Required Permits - June 24, 2019
- Aycock Rec. Center to Offer Fast-Track Afternoon Swim Lessons - June 24, 2019
- Granville Co. Government’s Summer Civic Leadership Program Underway - June 24, 2019
- VGCC Child Care Center Awarded Five Stars - June 21, 2019
- Vance Co. Animal Services Recipient of Spay/Neuter Grant - June 21, 2019
- 9V Batteries Needed for Fire Dept.’s Annual Campaign - June 21, 2019
- Alston Arrested on Multiple Drug, Firearm-Related Charges - June 21, 2019
- VCS Students Benefit From Read to Achieve Summer Camps - June 21, 2019
- Granville’s Lake Holt Fireworks Celebration Set for Wed., July 3 - June 21, 2019