- Davis Chapel Baptist Church will have sponsor Vacation Bible School beginning Monday July 16 to Friday July 20, 2018 from 6:30-8:30 pm nightly. There will be classes for all ages. For more information call 252-425-8161
- Davis Chapel Baptist Church Usher Ministry will Celebrate their Anniversary of 131 years on Sunday July 22, 2018 at 4:00 pm. Pastor Anthony Vickers of Spring Street Baptist along with his choir and congregation are the special guests. All area Usher Ministries are invited to come out in support.
- Oak Level UCC Revival will begin on Sunday, July 22, 2018 with school at 10:30 and morning worship at 11:30 am. At 7:30 pm nightly: guest minister for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday will be Minister Michael Alfred from Rincon GA. Wednesday through Friday the guest minister will be Rev. Dennis Carnington, Pastor of St. Delight United Holiness Church in Drewry NC.
- There will be a ribbon cutting ceremony at Home Decorator Shoppe, 521 Dabney Drive in Henderson at 10:00 am on Tuesday July 24, 2018.
- The Henderson Lions Club will meet on Thursday July 26, 2018 at 6:30 pm at the Henderson Country Club. The speaker will be Lion Mikey Chavis on his trip to Camp Dogwood. To learn more or join the Lions and be part of an active community service organization contact any Lions Club member or President Randy Oxendine at 252-438-8034.
- The 10th Annual Clarksville Bluegrass Gospel Concert will be held on Saturday, July 28, 2018 beginning at 5:00 PM. Advance tickets $12, Door $15 and Children 12 and under free w/adult. Advance tickets available at Ace Hardware in Clarksville, Clarksville Community Pharmacy, Yancey Store in Nelson, Hood Brothers at Lunenburg Court House, South Hill Auto Glass, Barnesville Exxon Service Center in Red Oak and K&D Flooring in Halifax. For more info call Rodney/Carole Barwick at 434-374-0143.
- Lunch Break to Educate will be held on Wednesday, August 1, 2018. Canva for a small business, learn how to create flyers, business cards, web postings and more. Register online at www.vgcc.edu/schedules/small-business-center.
- Come out for the Quarter Auction on Friday, August 3, 2018 at Vino Oasi 3200 Bliss Trail in Stem NC. Doors open at 5:30 pm, dinner at 6:15 and Auction begins at 7:00 pm. Tickets are $10 for dinner and bidding paddle. All proceeds go to direct services for Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Victims and Survivors. Don’t forget your rolls of quarters for bidding and extra cash to purchase products that you love from vendors.
- The Deaconess Board of St. Andrews Christian Church is excited to announce and invite you to the Annual 100 Women in White program. It will take place on August 5, 2018 at 4:00 pm at St. Andrews Christian Church located at 203 Mulberry St. in Henderson. For more information call 252-492-7511.
- Registration is underway for Rebuilding Hope’s Annual Kid’s Construction Camp. The camp is for youths who are entering third through sixth grades who want to begin learning basic construction skills. The registration form for the August 6-8, 2018 camp is online at www.rebuildinghopeinc.org. Forms are also available at Rebuilding Hope, 414 Raleigh Rd. in Henderson. From 9 AM until noon each day of the camp, kids will be given hands-on experiences with basic construction skills as they rotate through stations such as hammer and nails, electric and plumbing, block laying and take-home project. Participation is limited to 30 on a first come-first served basis. The camp is held at Rebuilding Hope.
- The Kerr-Tar Agency on Aging (AAA) and Dementia Alliance of NC will host a Dementia Education Conference on Tuesday, August 7, 2018 from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. The event will be at VGCC Civic Center, 200 Community College Road in Henderson. The event is open to the public including caregivers, students, local leaders and aging professionals. For more information call 252-436-2040 ext. 6072.
- Henderson/Vance Night Out Against Crime will be held on Tuesday, August 7, 2018 from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM on Breckenridge St. at the Henderson Police Department. Hotdogs and event cups will be available. There will be presentations and displays by the HPD, Vance County Sheriff’s Office, Henderson-Vance Crime Stoppers, HFD, Vance County Fire and EMS, NC State Highway Patrol, Vance County Schools and many other agencies and organizations working together with the community to prevent crime and promote safety. Rain date will be August 14th.
- Joy in the Lord Baptist Church will hold a Gospel Singing featuring The Oak Grove Boys & Stephanie from Elm City NC on Saturday, August 18, 2018 at 6:00 pm. The church is located at 1238 Debnam Ave. in Henderson. Everyone is welcome to attend.
- The seasoned Seniors of Spring Street Missionary Baptist Church will host a trip to the Spirit of Norfolk, in Norfolk VA on Tuesday, August 21, 2018. A limited number of seats are available on a first come first serve basis. The total cost of the trip which includes the cruise, an all you can eat buffet luncheon and transportation is $75 per person. At least a 50% deposit is required no later than June 17, 2018 and final payment is due by July 20, 2018. To guarantee your seat you must make your deposit on time. For more information and itinerary please contact Adrian Davis at 252-767-1686.
- Victory Road Baptist Church 235 Booth Ave in Henderson celebrates the 6th Pastoral Anniversary of Rev. Paul Eubanks on Saturday, September 15, 2018 at 5:00 pm. Musical guests include: The Christland Singers, The Soul Lifters, The Hilliard Sisters, Pastor Robert Alexander & Company, Bishop Albert Harrison & The Gospel Tones, The Heavenly Voices, The Spiritual Supremes, The Aires of Heaven, Mr. Willie B. and the Gospel Messengers, The Firm Believers and others. All are welcome to attend this free program.
- Meet Me in The Street will be held on September 27, 2018 from 5:30 to 8:30 pm on Breckenridge Street in Henderson featuring “Liquid Pleasure”.
- Lunch Break to Educate: Facebook Made Easy seminar will teach you how to use your page to brand your business and engage customers. This two hour, hands on seminar will teach you how to start a page from scratch, how to automate your marketing and keep people on your page, how to schedule messages that save time and learn apps that integrate to make your business stand out. This seminar will be held on October 10, 2018 from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm. Register online at www.vgcc.edu/schedules/small-business-center.
- If someone you know or someone you suspect is a victim of domestic violence, please call FAMILIES LIVING VIOLENCE FREE 24/7 Crisis line English 919-693-5700 and 24/7 Crisis line Hispanic 919-690-0888. There is always someone there to listen, to help! Everything is confidential. Please…you could be saving a life….it could be your own.
- Every Monday 10% of all sales at Pizza Inn, 1250 Coble Blvd. in Henderson, will be donated to Relay for Life of Vance County. Dine in – Carry out – Call 252-492-2144 to order. Pizza Inn, Love Life, Love Pizza!
- On disability and looking to come back to work? NTI is the leader in helping individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans back into the workplace. We’ve already helped over 1,200 individuals within Vance County through our job services and, considering 1 in every 6 Americans has a disability, there are a lot more to help. If you are on SSI or SSDI and are looking to re-enter the workforce, learn more about the services we offer and register for our program at bit.ly/1450HelpsAmericansWithDisabilities. Our services are FREE to the public throughout America and we even offer free customer service training for those who qualify. If you have questions about what we offer, visit our Facebook page at facebook.com/nticentral. and IM us. Maybe we can be the ones to help.
- Do you need home repairs? Are you on a fixed income? Mission Legacy Inc. has partnered with contractors that provide low-cost repairs, based on income. For more information or to register for affordable home repairs call 252-204-0909 or email [email protected]
- Granville Vance Public Health is offering Medication Assisted Treatment within Primary Care Clinic. Patients seen for Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) will be treated with kindness and respect, no different from any other patient. This is a judgment-free zone. Most insurance is accepted for visits and medication. Lab testing will be billed through LabCorp for special low rates. For more information or to make an appointment call the Granville Co. Health Department at 919-693-2141 or the Vance Co. Health Department at 252-492-7915. We believe even one day off heroin or opioids is a successful start to a better quality of life.
- It is important to stay safe when using your generator. The outdoor power equipment institute recommends reviewing your owner’s manual and following all manufacturer instructions. Make sure your generator is well ventilated. Place it outside and away from windows, doors and vents. Never use a generator inside your home or garage. Install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector. For more safety tips go to opei.org.
- Could you be the voice for a child in court? Train to become a volunteer with the North Carolina Guardian ad Litem program and advocate for the best interest of abused and neglected children in court. If you would like to find out more about being the voice for a child, visit www.volunteerforgal.org or call the Guardian ad Litem Office at 252-430-5121 or 919-497-4244.
- The Vance County Animal Shelter is in need of Clorox to help clean the cages. Also in need of food for puppies, dogs, cats and kittens.
- Families Living Violence Free would like for you to join us for our class on Domestic Violence on Tuesdays from 6 -7 p.m. at the Offices of Families Living Violence Free, 125 Oxford Outer Loop Oxford, NC. For more information call 919-693-3579. Call by 4 p.m. if you need a sitter for class time. THIS WEEK’S TOPIC: WHEN LOVING YOU IS HURTING ME. Objectives: To understand what are “red flags”; to understand that battering is a learned behavior; to learn that victims are not to blame; to learn ways to avoid becoming involved with an abusive partner.
- The Food Pantry at ACTS is very low, please consider donating some of the following items: peanut butter, jelly, canned meats, canned vegetables except green beans and corn, powdered milk, canned or dried beans, rice, instant mashed potatoes, boxed mac and cheese, pasta, boxed cereal, canned fruit, instant cup of soup noodles, applesauce cups, bottled water, juice boxes or pouches, pudding cups and evaporated milk. Consider asking your church or civic group to hold a Food Drive. Items may be brought to 305 South Chestnut St. in Henderson between 7:45 – 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
- The Henderson-Vance Chamber of Commerce Scam Call Advisory. It has come to the attention of the Chamber that an individual calling himself “Dan” is calling local business saying he is with the Vance County Chamber of Commerce fishing for information to update a database. Please DO NOT give any information to this person and hang up.
- Beginning Yoga will be held at Aycock Recreation Center in the Multi-Purpose Room on Thursday nights from 6:15 p.m. to 7 p.m. with Beryle Lewis. These sessions are based on basic Yoga techniques to inspire physical, mental and spiritual peace from within through balance, stretching and breathing. Bring your own yoga mat. Fee for members is $1.00 and non-members $2.00. For more information contact Steve Osborne at 252-438-2670.
- The Kindle Ministry at Clearview Church is in need of more volunteers for Gang-Free, Inc. Volunteers are needed on Mondays from 4-6:30 p.m. to help kids with their homework, play games, serve meals and spend time with the kids. Mondays are days that Kindle serves with Gang-Free, but volunteer positions are available every day of the week. For more information contact Cara Gill at 252-425-4280.
- Help Seniors get hired! Are you 55 or older and looking for a job? NC NCBA-SCSEP supports over 300 part-time positions in 18 counties by providing hands-on workplace settings for seniors to develop new skills and talents and support community service activities. Must meet income guidelines, able to work 20 hours per week, participate in job search and earn minimum wage stipend. For more info call Beryle Lewis at 919-693-2686 or email [email protected]
Connect With The Author
- Current Public Service Announcements - July 18, 2018
- Current Tradio Items - July 18, 2018
- Current Help Wanted Items - June 28, 2018
- Summer Learning Can Be Simple and Engaging - June 5, 2018
- Economic Development Partnership of NC Manufacturers Event - June 5, 2018
- Vance County Budget 2018-2019 Unanimous Decision - June 5, 2018
- Warren County Commissioners’ Meeting (Tonight) 6-4-18 - June 4, 2018
- Relay for Life Auction Saturday, May 19 - May 18, 2018
- Jim Crawford Recognized as George R. Watkins Citizen of the Year - May 11, 2018
- SHPHC Youth Fundraiser TODAY! - May 4, 2018