Public Service Announcements
To ensure your public service announcement is advertised, WIZS has made a policy change. We no longer accept hand-written submissions. This change will ensure the on-air personalities can read your announcement.
You may now submit your information on the form below. We ask that your submission be email at least two weeks prior to the event in order to serve you better. WIZS will be happy to post your event below and announce it on air.
Current Public Service Announcements
100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8 am, 12 pm, 5 pm
- An evening with Triumphant Quartet, Southern Gospel’s #1 male quartet is coming to South Henderson Pentecostal Holiness Church, 905 Americal Rd. in Henderson on Thursday January 30, 2020 at 7:00 pm. Admission is free, a love offering will be taken.
- Davis Chapel Missionary Baptist Church, located at 742 North Chestnut St. in Henderson, is reopening its soup kitchen with clothing giveaway each Tuesday and Thursday from 11 am to 12:30 pm. Members of the church will be serving a free, full lunch of meat, two sides, dessert and drink to anyone in need of a hot meal. The clothing giveaway is also free and includes clothing for kids, women and men. Those in need in the community are encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity.
- Perry Memorial Library will host Totally Tweens – ages 8-12, Mondays at 5 pm. Program themes will vary by week.
- Perry Memorial Library will host Story Explorers – ages 5-11, Tuesdays at 5 pm. Explore books and stories in creative ways.
- Perry Memorial Library will host STEAMworks – ages 10-14, Wednesdays at 5 pm. Weekly lessons in Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math.
- Perry Memorial Library will host Books & Babies – ages birth – 2, Thursdays at 10:45 am. A lap sit program focusing on pre-reading skills.
- Perry Memorial Library will host Mother Goose Story-time – ages 2-5, Thursdays at 11 am. Songs, books, music and crafts.
- Perry Memorial Library will host LEGO Fun Club- ages 5-13, Thursdays at 4 pm. Free build, drop in program offered year-round.
- Arthritis Exercise Class is a free low-impact, joint safe program developed for people with arthritis. This class has been proven to decrease pain and stiffness while increasing flexibility and range of motion. It will be held at the Aycock Recreation Center. For more information call Crystal at 252-431-6091.
- Senior Bingo: Henderson-Vance Recreation and Parks Dept. will be hosting Community Bingo for seniors, ages 55+ at Aycock Recreation Center. For more info call Crystal at 252-431-6091.
- Senior Prep Games is designed for participants 50+ who are planning to participate in the 2020 Senior Games. Participants will have the opportunity to practice or learn about the sports that are offered during Senior Games. For more info call Crystal at 252-431-6091.
- Pickleball for adults 50+ will be held on Thursdays at 10 am at Aycock Recreation Center. For more info call Crystal at 252-431-6091.
- Badminton for adults 50+ will be held on Mondays at 10 am at Aycock Recreation Center. Fore more info call Crystal at 252-431-6091.
- Vance County SOFit is a FREE 16-week wellness program that promotes healthy lifestyles through increased physical activity and improved daily nutrition. This program is specially for people with intellectual disabilities, but workout partners are welcome! For more info call Crystal at 252-431-6091.
- Kiddie Kardio is a fitness class for preschoolers! Kids ages 1 to 5 will move and groove, play and stretch to fun music wile bringing out lots of energy. Parents must stay and supervise their children and are welcome to join the fun! For more info call Lauren at 252-438-3160
- Winter swim lessons will be held at the Henderson Vance Recreation and Parks Dept. For more info call Lauren at 252-438-3160
- Crafty kids is for children ages 2-6 and will enjoy age level craft projects led by an amazing instructor. Come prepared for your toddler to get messy and have fun! Parents must stay and supervise children and are welcome to join the fun. For more info call Lauren at 252-438-3160.
- Lego Club is for kids ages 7-13 to enjoy getting creative with different themes. Parents must stay to supervise their children and are welcome to enjoy the fun. For more info call Lauren at 252-438-3160.
- The 2020 Polar Plunge will be held on Saturday February 1, 2020 at the Satterwhite Point Glasshouse. Check in begins at 9:30 am and participants will jump at 10:30 am. The Polar Plunge is for courageous people to jump in Kerr Lake to support Special Olympics Vance County. This has been a successful event that has raised several thousand dollars for Special Olympics participants in this area. If you do not want to jump in, you can dip your toes in the water! For more info call Crystal at 252-431-6091.
- The Henderson YMCA, in conjunction with Chick Fil A of Henderson, will host a Father/Daughter Dance on Saturday February 1, 2020. Come and dine at Chick Fil A between 5:30 and 7 pm and present your dance ticket and receive a free kids meal with purchase of an adult meal. Then, head over to the Henderson YMCA for dancing from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. Tickets are $10 for couple and $5 for each additional girl and can be purchased at member services at the YMCA at 380 Ruin Creek Road. For more information call 252-438-2144 or go to hendersonymca.org.
- 220 Seafood Restaurant will host a trout plate fundraiser to benefit the ACTS House on Monday February 3, 2020 from 4 to 7 pm. Plates are $7 each and will consist of trout, fries, cole slaw, hushpuppies, and beverage if you eat in. Tickets are available at ACTS House at 201 Williams St. or at 220 Seafood at 1812 N. Garnett St. on Feb. 3rd.
- No charge Food Distribution will be held on Thursday, February 13, 2020 from 10:00am-12:00pm at the Vance County Farmer’s Market, off Beckford Drive in Henderson. Participants remain in their vehicles and volunteers place food box inside. No identification is required, and no information is collected. An area partnership of St. James Miss. Baptist Church, First Baptist Church, NC Cooperative Extension Office, Vance County Social Services, and the Food Bank of Central & Eastern NC.
- Wilton Elementary School will hold a Quarter Auction on Friday March 6, 2020 at 6 pm. Cost is $10 for a ticket to enter and “bid”, need quarters to play. Items auctioned off, if bidding the paddle is raised and quarter amount paid. Most bids are 1 or 2 quarters. Winner takes the prize. If your paddle number is called and you didn’t bid, a new number will be drawn. Most auctioned items are valued at $10-$100! Come out for family fun and lots of prizes to win! Money raised will benefit the Wilton PTO which funds school supplies, recess equipment, teacher appreciation, events and more!
- The 5th Annual Pins for Pets will be held on March 14, 2020 at Palace Pointe, 5050 Durham Rd. in Roxboro. This bowling tournament and pin art auction will have lots of fun, prizes and raffles! For more information or to register visit www.pinsforpets.dojiggy.com
- The Food Pantry at ACTS is very low, please consider donating some of the following items: peanut butter, jelly, canned meats, canned vegetables except green beans and corn, powdered milk, canned or dried beans, rice, instant mashed potatoes, boxed mac and cheese, pasta, boxed cereal, canned fruit, instant cup of soup noodles, applesauce cups, bottled water, juice boxes or pouches, pudding cups and evaporated milk. Consider asking your church or civic group to hold a Food Drive. Items may be brought to 305 South Chestnut St. in Henderson between 7:45 – 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
- Farmers and gardeners are reminded that from April 1st until the end of December, soil samples may be submitted for analysis to the NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services at no charge. Sample boxes, forms and instructions are available at the NC Cooperative Extension offices in Vance and Warren Counties and provide free delivery to the lab in Raleigh. For more information call 252-438-8188 or 252-257-3640.
- As temperatures warm it is time for Spring cleaning! Consider donating your used goods to the Salvation Army Family store located at 218 Raleigh Rd. in Henderson right down the road from the Dollar Tree. Large items can be be picked up by calling 252-558-1050 and small items can be brought to the store. All items are sold at the store at a low price to fund the programs in Vance County that make a difference in people’s lives. Store hours are 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday and 9 am to 4 pm on Saturday.
- If someone you know or someone you suspect is a victim of domestic violence, please call FAMILIES LIVING VIOLENCE FREE 24/7 Crisis line English 919-693-5700 and 24/7 Crisis line Hispanic 919-690-0888. There is always someone there to listen, to help! Everything is confidential. Please…you could be saving a life….it could be your own.
- On disability and looking to come back to work? NTI is the leader in helping individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans back into the workplace. We’ve already helped over 1,200 individuals within Vance County through our job services and, considering 1 in every 6 Americans has a disability, there are a lot more to help. If you are on SSI or SSDI and are looking to re-enter the workforce, learn more about the services we offer and register for our program at bit.ly/1450HelpsAmericansWithDisabilities. Our services are FREE to the public throughout America and we even offer free customer service training for those who qualify. If you have questions about what we offer, visit our Facebook page at facebook.com/nticentral. and IM us. Maybe we can be the ones to help.
- Do you need home repairs? Are you on a fixed income? Mission Legacy Inc. has partnered with contractors that provide low-cost repairs, based on income. For more information or to register for affordable home repairs call 252-204-0909 or email [email protected]
- Granville Vance Public Health is offering Medication Assisted Treatment within Primary Care Clinic. Patients seen for Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) will be treated with kindness and respect, no different from any other patient. This is a judgment-free zone. Most insurance is accepted for visits and medication. Lab testing will be billed through LabCorp for special low rates. For more information or to make an appointment call the Granville Co. Health Department at 919-693-2141 or the Vance Co. Health Department at 252-492-7915. We believe even one day off heroin or opioids is a successful start to a better quality of life.
- It is important to stay safe when using your generator. The outdoor power equipment institute recommends reviewing your owner’s manual and following all manufacturer instructions. Make sure your generator is well ventilated. Place it outside and away from windows, doors and vents. Never use a generator inside your home or garage. Install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector. For more safety tips go to opei.org.
- Could you be the voice for a child in court? Train to become a volunteer with the North Carolina Guardian ad Litem program and advocate for the best interest of abused and neglected children in court. If you would like to find out more about being the voice for a child, visit www.volunteerforgal.org or call the Guardian ad Litem Office at 252-430-5121 or 919-497-4244.
- The Vance County Animal Shelter is in need of Clorox to help clean the cages. Also in need of food for puppies, dogs, cats and kittens.
- The Kindle Ministry at Clearview Church is in need of more volunteers for Gang-Free, Inc. Volunteers are needed on Mondays from 4-6:30 p.m. to help kids with their homework, play games, serve meals and spend time with the kids. Mondays are days that Kindle serves with Gang-Free, but volunteer positions are available every day of the week. For more information contact Cara Gill at 252-425-4280.
- Help Seniors get hired! Are you 55 or older and looking for a job? NC NCBA-SCSEP supports over 300 part-time positions in 18 counties by providing hands-on workplace settings for seniors to develop new skills and talents and support community service activities. Must meet income guidelines, able to work 20 hours per week, participate in job search and earn minimum wage stipend. For more info call Beryle Lewis at 919-693-2686 or email [email protected]