Public Service Announcements
To ensure your public service announcement is advertised, WIZS has made a policy change. We no longer accept hand-written submissions. This change will ensure the on-air personalities can read your announcement.
You may now submit your information on the form below. We ask that your submission be email at least two weeks prior to the event in order to serve you better. WIZS will be happy to post your event below and announce it on air.
Current Public Service Announcements
- The Vance County Democratic Party is looking for persons to serve on Precinct Committees. If you desire to make a difference in the community, please volunteer. You must be registered as a Democrat voter to serve on the committee. Email [email protected] or call 252-767-5195 for further details.
- West End Community Watch will meet on Tuesday September 18, 2018 at 6:30 pm in the Fellowship Hall of West End Baptist Church on Dabney Drive. The speaker will be Trooper Wilder of the Highway Patrol. Members of the Henderson Police Dept. will be present to provide a report on recent criminal activity. All are welcome to attend.
- There will be a Free Prostate Screening Event on September 19, 2018 from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm at Maria Parham Cancer Center. Enter through the main entrance of the hospital. No appointments necessary, for questions or more info call 252-436-1605.
- The 2018 Henderson-Vance Crime Stoppers Annual Awards Banquet will be held at the Vance Granville Community College Civic Center on September 20, 2018 at 6:30 pm. Speaker will be Dan Forest, Lieutenant Governor of NC. Cost is $12.00, eat in only.
- Big Ruin Creek Baptist Church is sponsoring a one day Marriage Retreat on September 22, 2018 beginning at 9:00 am ending at 2:00 pm. The theme is “You Can Count on Me”, registration deadline is September 15 and cost is $6.00 per person. The retreat is open to all couples either married, planned to be married and those in a relationship who have questions. Refreshments will be served and the retreat held at Big Ruin Creek Missionary Baptist in the Dabney community. For registration or more info call Rev. Charles Burwell at 919-339-6901.
- The Semi-Annual Brunswick Stew Sale will be held on Saturday, September 22, 2018. Quarts are $8.00 each and can be picked up at the Granville County Shrine Club from 9:00 am to 11:00 am. For pre-orders email [email protected]
- Union Chapel United Methodist Church is having a large yard sale on Saturday September 22, 2018 at Tony’s Automotive 415 Raleigh Road in Henderson from 7:00 am until 12 noon. Items for sale include a treadmill, household dryer, china, silver pieces, dolls, holiday items and lots of miscellaneous items.
- A Fish Fry for Local Ministries will be held on Monday, September 24, 2018 at 220 Seafood Restaurant from 4:00 to 7:00 PM. Cost is $7.00 per plate and dinner will include trout, slaw, french fries and hushpuppies. Eat in or take out, drink with dine in only. All proceeds will be used to support our Local Ministries which includes ACTS, Lifeline Ministries, Rebuilding Hope and many others.
- Meet Me in The Street will be held on September 27, 2018 from 5:30 to 8:30 pm on Breckenridge Street in Henderson featuring “Liquid Pleasure”.
- Chicken BBQ Plate Sale will be held on Friday September 28, 2018 from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm at Rebuilding Hope 414 Raleigh Rd in Henderson. Plate is $7.00 and includes half chicken, potatoes, string beans, bread and dessert. Eat in, Drive thru or delivery for 5 plates or more. For delivery call 252-438-5132.
- The Warren County Center/Family & Consumer Science Program is hosting “Med Instead of Meds” a six week series on how a Mediterranean diet can help you! Class meets every Wednesday beginning October 3, 2018 and will end Nov. 7th. Registration is $20 and deadline to register is September 28, 2018. For more info contact Dominque Simon at 252-257-3640.
- The Women’s Auxiliary of the Union Grove UCC at 511 Parham St. in Henderson will hold its Annual Women’s Conference on Saturday September 29, 2018 at 11:00 am at the church. Please come out and worship with us on this day, everyone is welcome.
- The 20th Annual Chamber Challenge Golf Tournament will be held at the Henderson Country Club on October 4, 2018. Cost is $135.00/golfer and $440.00/foursome. Call the Chamber for a registration form.
- Perry Memorial Library will have their Fall 2018 Book Sale beginning on October 4, 2018 to October 7, 2018. Thursday October 4th is for “friends only” from 4:30 to 7:00 pm, membership to be a “friend” at the door. Open to the public on Friday, Oct. 5th 10:00 am to 5:30 pm, Saturday Oct. 6th 10:00 am to 2:00 pm and Sunday Oct. 7th from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm bag day.
- Lunch Break to Educate: Facebook Made Easy seminar will teach you how to use your page to brand your business and engage customers. This two hour, hands on seminar will teach you how to start a page from scratch, how to automate your marketing and keep people on your page, how to schedule messages that save time and learn apps that integrate to make your business stand out. This seminar will be held on October 10, 2018 from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm. Register online at www.vgcc.edu/schedules/small-business-center.
- The Veterans Dog Walk will be held on October 13, 2018 from 9:30 to 11:30 am at the Vance County NC Animal Services 1243 Brodie Rd. in Henderson. For more information cal 252-492-3136 or visit http://www.vancecounty.org/departments/animalcontrol/
- The 17th Annual Show, Shine, Shag and Dine will be held October 19-20, 2018 in historic downtown Henderson.
- The Masquerade Ball hosted by West Hills Veterinary Center will be held on October 20, 2018. There will be live music, food, bar and auction. Semi-formal, masks required. All proceeds go to benefit the Vance County Animal Shelter and Ruin Creek Animal Protection Society. For more information contact Shannon Gwynn at [email protected]
- If someone you know or someone you suspect is a victim of domestic violence, please call FAMILIES LIVING VIOLENCE FREE 24/7 Crisis line English 919-693-5700 and 24/7 Crisis line Hispanic 919-690-0888. There is always someone there to listen, to help! Everything is confidential. Please…you could be saving a life….it could be your own.
- Every Monday 10% of all sales at Pizza Inn, 1250 Coble Blvd. in Henderson, will be donated to Relay for Life of Vance County. Dine in – Carry out – Call 252-492-2144 to order. Pizza Inn, Love Life, Love Pizza!
- On disability and looking to come back to work? NTI is the leader in helping individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans back into the workplace. We’ve already helped over 1,200 individuals within Vance County through our job services and, considering 1 in every 6 Americans has a disability, there are a lot more to help. If you are on SSI or SSDI and are looking to re-enter the workforce, learn more about the services we offer and register for our program at bit.ly/1450HelpsAmericansWithDisabilities. Our services are FREE to the public throughout America and we even offer free customer service training for those who qualify. If you have questions about what we offer, visit our Facebook page at facebook.com/nticentral. and IM us. Maybe we can be the ones to help.
- Do you need home repairs? Are you on a fixed income? Mission Legacy Inc. has partnered with contractors that provide low-cost repairs, based on income. For more information or to register for affordable home repairs call 252-204-0909 or email [email protected]
- Granville Vance Public Health is offering Medication Assisted Treatment within Primary Care Clinic. Patients seen for Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) will be treated with kindness and respect, no different from any other patient. This is a judgment-free zone. Most insurance is accepted for visits and medication. Lab testing will be billed through LabCorp for special low rates. For more information or to make an appointment call the Granville Co. Health Department at 919-693-2141 or the Vance Co. Health Department at 252-492-7915. We believe even one day off heroin or opioids is a successful start to a better quality of life.
- It is important to stay safe when using your generator. The outdoor power equipment institute recommends reviewing your owner’s manual and following all manufacturer instructions. Make sure your generator is well ventilated. Place it outside and away from windows, doors and vents. Never use a generator inside your home or garage. Install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector. For more safety tips go to opei.org.
- Could you be the voice for a child in court? Train to become a volunteer with the North Carolina Guardian ad Litem program and advocate for the best interest of abused and neglected children in court. If you would like to find out more about being the voice for a child, visit www.volunteerforgal.org or call the Guardian ad Litem Office at 252-430-5121 or 919-497-4244.
- The Vance County Animal Shelter is in need of Clorox to help clean the cages. Also in need of food for puppies, dogs, cats and kittens.
- Families Living Violence Free would like for you to join us for our class on Domestic Violence on Tuesdays from 6 -7 p.m. at the Offices of Families Living Violence Free, 125 Oxford Outer Loop Oxford, NC. For more information call 919-693-3579. Call by 4 p.m. if you need a sitter for class time. THIS WEEK’S TOPIC: WHEN LOVING YOU IS HURTING ME. Objectives: To understand what are “red flags”; to understand that battering is a learned behavior; to learn that victims are not to blame; to learn ways to avoid becoming involved with an abusive partner.
- The Food Pantry at ACTS is very low, please consider donating some of the following items: peanut butter, jelly, canned meats, canned vegetables except green beans and corn, powdered milk, canned or dried beans, rice, instant mashed potatoes, boxed mac and cheese, pasta, boxed cereal, canned fruit, instant cup of soup noodles, applesauce cups, bottled water, juice boxes or pouches, pudding cups and evaporated milk. Consider asking your church or civic group to hold a Food Drive. Items may be brought to 305 South Chestnut St. in Henderson between 7:45 – 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
- The Henderson-Vance Chamber of Commerce Scam Call Advisory. It has come to the attention of the Chamber that an individual calling himself “Dan” is calling local business saying he is with the Vance County Chamber of Commerce fishing for information to update a database. Please DO NOT give any information to this person and hang up.
- Beginning Yoga will be held at Aycock Recreation Center in the Multi-Purpose Room on Thursday nights from 6:15 p.m. to 7 p.m. with Beryle Lewis. These sessions are based on basic Yoga techniques to inspire physical, mental and spiritual peace from within through balance, stretching and breathing. Bring your own yoga mat. Fee for members is $1.00 and non-members $2.00. For more information contact Steve Osborne at 252-438-2670.
- The Kindle Ministry at Clearview Church is in need of more volunteers for Gang-Free, Inc. Volunteers are needed on Mondays from 4-6:30 p.m. to help kids with their homework, play games, serve meals and spend time with the kids. Mondays are days that Kindle serves with Gang-Free, but volunteer positions are available every day of the week. For more information contact Cara Gill at 252-425-4280.
- Help Seniors get hired! Are you 55 or older and looking for a job? NC NCBA-SCSEP supports over 300 part-time positions in 18 counties by providing hands-on workplace settings for seniors to develop new skills and talents and support community service activities. Must meet income guidelines, able to work 20 hours per week, participate in job search and earn minimum wage stipend. For more info call Beryle Lewis at 919-693-2686 or email [email protected]