Public Service Announcements
To ensure your public service announcement is advertised, WIZS has made a policy change. We no longer accept hand-written submissions. This change will ensure the on-air personalities can read your announcement.
You may now submit your information on the form below. We ask that your submission be email at least two weeks prior to the event in order to serve you better. WIZS will be happy to post your event below and announce it on air.
Current Public Service Announcements
- Free Pencil Giveaway at Rebuilding Hope, Inc. There are about 1000 pencils left to give away for your classes or projects, if needed call 252-438-5132. These pencils are not sharpened and were a donation, printed on them are names of various businesses and organizations that ordered too many.
- Loose Leaf Collection runs from now and will end mid-January 2019. This involves the use of a vacuum machine and trucks, therefore, it is essential that leaves be free of rocks, trash and limbs so equipment is not damaged. All loose leaves must be raked behind the curb and not in storm drains, ditches or gutters on the street. Bagged leaves must be in clear plastic bags, weigh less than 50 lbs and be left at the curb. Do not put in street, gutters or ditches. Please be sure leaves are not left on top of water meters. If you have questions call the Public Works Department at 252-431-6115 or 252-431-6118. Also keep in mind that after January 18, 2019 if leaves are not bagged and are placed at the curb in loose form there will be a $75.00 charge placed on your sanitation bill.
- Warren County HS will cost a curriculum night on Thursday November 15, 2018 from 5:30 to 7:30 pm. There will be door prizes and a turkey give away. For more info call 252-257-4413
- Jr. Fitness Camp will be held on November 17 and 21 from 3 pm to 5 pm. This three day camp will explore and improve our bodies in physical fitness and lessons on health and nutrition. It will be held at NC Coop Warren County Center 158 Rafters Lane in Warrenton. For more info call 252-257-3640
- Gospel music performers Triumphant Quartet with opening act Unashamed will perform at McGregor Hall on Saturday November 17, 2018 at 7:00 pm. Doors open at 6 pm. Tickets may be purchased by drop in: 201 Breckenridge St. in Henderson Mon-Fri 1:30 pm to 5:30 pm., by calling 252-598-0660 or www.McGregorHall.org.
- Grace Ministries of Henderson will hold their 2nd Annual Thanksgiving Meal and Prayer on Saturday November 17, 2018 at 11:00 AM at Rebuilding Hope 414 Raleigh Road in Henderson. Please help meet the goal of serving at least 200 turkeys with sides as 3000 meals are planned to be served with prayer. In order to meet this goal, items needed are: turkeys, stuffing, gallon size cans of corn, string beans and sweet potatoes. As well as monetary donations. The items can be dropped off at the Grace Thrift Store 1501 Raleigh Rd in Henderson. Also needed are volunteers to cook, serve and individuals to go out into the community to give out plates and prayer warriors. If you have any questions contact Bobby West at 252-432-7124.
- Greater Ransom Way of the Cross Temple will host its Pre-Thanksgiving Community Feast again this year on Saturday, November 17, 2018 from 11:00 am until 1:00 pm. This traditional holiday meal will consist of hot delicious turkey, other meats and the trimmings. Church members and volunteers are handling the cooking, preparing and serving the meal. Pre-packed food bags will also be distributed; one per household and intake process required. Everyone is welcome! This is a free community event, as we give thanks unto the Lord for all His many blessings. The Church is located at 90 South Lake Lodge Extension in Henderson (off US1 South). For more information please call the church office at 252-492-1824.
- The male choir of Oak Level UCC in Manson will celebrate their choir anniversary on Sunday November 18, 2018 at 3:00 pm at the church. Appearing on the program will be the Baptist Grove Male Choir, Mt. Zion Male Choir and The Prodigal Sons.
- The Zeb Vance Ruritan Club will be cooking and selling Boston Butts for Thanksgiving. Pre-sale only, $25.00. Orders must be in by Sunday November 18, 2018 and will be ready for pickup on Wednesday Nov. 21st between 10 am and 1 pm at the Bearpond Fire Department parking lot at 325 Bearpond Rd. in Henderson. Contact any Ruritan member to order or call 252-767-4044.
- Reach One Teach One, Inc. will host an “I Rise Summit” for young men ages 13 and over on Sunday November 25, 2018 from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm at the Aycock Recreation Center, 307 Carey Chapel Rd. in Henderson. Dinner will be served. Young men attending this free event will hear from subject-matter experts on goal setting, overcoming life obstacles and what empowerment means in 2018. For more info contact Anthony at 919-398-5219.
- The Carey Chapel Community Watch will hold its next meeting at 6:00 pm on Monday November 26, 2018 in the Fellowship Hall of Carey Baptist Church located on Carey Chapel Road. Ms. Linda Spruill, Social Worker with the Vance County Schools, will be the guest speaker. All members and area residents are encouraged to attend this meeting.
- The Henderson-Vance County Chamber of Commerce will host a “15 Under 40” reception at the Henderson Country Club on Tuesday November 27, 2018 from 6 – 8 pm. Tickets are $15 per person and include hors-d’oeuvres and beverages. There will be a cash bar. RSVP by November 20th by calling the Chamber at 252-438-8414.
- The next meeting of the Advisory Board for the Vance County Regional Farmers Market has been re-scheduled for November 29, 2018 at 2 pm. The meeting will take place at the Farmers Market, 210 Southpark Drive in Henderson. This meeting is open to the public. For more info call 252-438-8188
- The Great Gatsby Gala will be held at the Kerr Lake Country Club 600 Hedrick Drive in Henderson on Saturday December 8, 2018 from 6 PM to 9 PM. Roaring 20’s attire encouraged but not required. Music provided by “Just Friends”. Food, drinks and prizes available. Cost is $30 per person. RSVP by November 23 to [email protected] or [email protected]
- “Cookies and Milk with Santa” will be held at the Aycock Rec. Center, 307 Carey Chapel Road in Henderson, on Saturday December 15, 2018 from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. Enjoy free cookies and milk, make a holiday ornament and visit with Santa. Don’t forget to bring your camera for a photo with Santa. For more info call Crystal at 252-431-6091.
- Franklinton Masonic Lodge #123 will hold its First Annual Bluegrass Concert on Saturday December 15, 2018 at 3 N. Main St. Franklinton, Franklinton Middle School. Cost is $10 per person and children under 10 are free. Must show ticket at door. Proceeds will go to charity. Fore more info call Raymond at 919-495-2099 or 919-605-2274.
- If someone you know or someone you suspect is a victim of domestic violence, please call FAMILIES LIVING VIOLENCE FREE 24/7 Crisis line English 919-693-5700 and 24/7 Crisis line Hispanic 919-690-0888. There is always someone there to listen, to help! Everything is confidential. Please…you could be saving a life….it could be your own.
- Every Monday 10% of all sales at Pizza Inn, 1250 Coble Blvd. in Henderson, will be donated to Relay for Life of Vance County. Dine in – Carry out – Call 252-492-2144 to order. Pizza Inn, Love Life, Love Pizza!
- On disability and looking to come back to work? NTI is the leader in helping individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans back into the workplace. We’ve already helped over 1,200 individuals within Vance County through our job services and, considering 1 in every 6 Americans has a disability, there are a lot more to help. If you are on SSI or SSDI and are looking to re-enter the workforce, learn more about the services we offer and register for our program at bit.ly/1450HelpsAmericansWithDisabilities. Our services are FREE to the public throughout America and we even offer free customer service training for those who qualify. If you have questions about what we offer, visit our Facebook page at facebook.com/nticentral. and IM us. Maybe we can be the ones to help.
- Do you need home repairs? Are you on a fixed income? Mission Legacy Inc. has partnered with contractors that provide low-cost repairs, based on income. For more information or to register for affordable home repairs call 252-204-0909 or email [email protected]
- Granville Vance Public Health is offering Medication Assisted Treatment within Primary Care Clinic. Patients seen for Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) will be treated with kindness and respect, no different from any other patient. This is a judgment-free zone. Most insurance is accepted for visits and medication. Lab testing will be billed through LabCorp for special low rates. For more information or to make an appointment call the Granville Co. Health Department at 919-693-2141 or the Vance Co. Health Department at 252-492-7915. We believe even one day off heroin or opioids is a successful start to a better quality of life.
- It is important to stay safe when using your generator. The outdoor power equipment institute recommends reviewing your owner’s manual and following all manufacturer instructions. Make sure your generator is well ventilated. Place it outside and away from windows, doors and vents. Never use a generator inside your home or garage. Install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector. For more safety tips go to opei.org.
- Could you be the voice for a child in court? Train to become a volunteer with the North Carolina Guardian ad Litem program and advocate for the best interest of abused and neglected children in court. If you would like to find out more about being the voice for a child, visit www.volunteerforgal.org or call the Guardian ad Litem Office at 252-430-5121 or 919-497-4244.
- The Vance County Animal Shelter is in need of Clorox to help clean the cages. Also in need of food for puppies, dogs, cats and kittens.
- Families Living Violence Free would like for you to join us for our class on Domestic Violence on Tuesdays from 6 -7 p.m. at the Offices of Families Living Violence Free, 125 Oxford Outer Loop Oxford, NC. For more information call 919-693-3579. Call by 4 p.m. if you need a sitter for class time. THIS WEEK’S TOPIC: WHEN LOVING YOU IS HURTING ME. Objectives: To understand what are “red flags”; to understand that battering is a learned behavior; to learn that victims are not to blame; to learn ways to avoid becoming involved with an abusive partner.
- The Food Pantry at ACTS is very low, please consider donating some of the following items: peanut butter, jelly, canned meats, canned vegetables except green beans and corn, powdered milk, canned or dried beans, rice, instant mashed potatoes, boxed mac and cheese, pasta, boxed cereal, canned fruit, instant cup of soup noodles, applesauce cups, bottled water, juice boxes or pouches, pudding cups and evaporated milk. Consider asking your church or civic group to hold a Food Drive. Items may be brought to 305 South Chestnut St. in Henderson between 7:45 – 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
- The Henderson-Vance Chamber of Commerce Scam Call Advisory. It has come to the attention of the Chamber that an individual calling himself “Dan” is calling local business saying he is with the Vance County Chamber of Commerce fishing for information to update a database. Please DO NOT give any information to this person and hang up.
- Beginning Yoga will be held at Aycock Recreation Center in the Multi-Purpose Room on Thursday nights from 6:15 p.m. to 7 p.m. with Beryle Lewis. These sessions are based on basic Yoga techniques to inspire physical, mental and spiritual peace from within through balance, stretching and breathing. Bring your own yoga mat. Fee for members is $1.00 and non-members $2.00. For more information contact Steve Osborne at 252-438-2670.
- The Kindle Ministry at Clearview Church is in need of more volunteers for Gang-Free, Inc. Volunteers are needed on Mondays from 4-6:30 p.m. to help kids with their homework, play games, serve meals and spend time with the kids. Mondays are days that Kindle serves with Gang-Free, but volunteer positions are available every day of the week. For more information contact Cara Gill at 252-425-4280.
- Help Seniors get hired! Are you 55 or older and looking for a job? NC NCBA-SCSEP supports over 300 part-time positions in 18 counties by providing hands-on workplace settings for seniors to develop new skills and talents and support community service activities. Must meet income guidelines, able to work 20 hours per week, participate in job search and earn minimum wage stipend. For more info call Beryle Lewis at 919-693-2686 or email [email protected]