Public Service Announcements
To ensure your public service announcement is advertised, WIZS has made a policy change. We no longer accept hand-written submissions. This change will ensure the on-air personalities can read your announcement.
You may now submit your information on the form below. We ask that your submission be email at least two weeks prior to the event in order to serve you better. WIZS will be happy to post your event below and announce it on air.
Current Public Service Announcements
- Farmers and gardeners are reminded that from April 1st until the end of December, soil samples may be submitted for analysis to the NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services at no charge. Sample boxes, forms and instructions are available at the NC Cooperative Extension offices in Vance and Warren Counties and provide free delivery to the lab in Raleigh. For more information call 252-438-8188 or 252-257-3640.
- As temperatures warm it is time for Spring cleaning! Consider donating your used goods to the Salvation Army Family store located at 218 Raleigh Rd. in Henderson right down the road from the Dollar Tree. Large items can be be picked up by calling 252-558-1050 and small items can be brought to the store. All items are sold at the store at a low price to fund the programs in Vance County that make a difference in people’s lives. Store hours are 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday and 9 am to 4 pm on Saturday.
- The Carey Chapel Community Watch will hold its next meeting at 6:00 pm on Monday May 20, 2019 in the Fellowship Hall of Carey Baptist Church located on Carey Chapel Rd. The program will be given by the Kerr Tar Beekeepers Association. All members and area residents are encouraged to attend this meeting.
- “Worship On The Front Lawn” with Davis Chapel Baptist Church on Chestnut St. Join us on Sunday Morning on the front lawn on Sunday May 26, 2019 beginning at 10:30 am The Youth Choir and Praise Ministry will render Music and Pastor Turrentine will encourage the community with the Word Of God. Everyone is invited , come as you are, casual dress, refreshments will be served after Service
- Emmanuel Community Church located at 216 Chestnut Alley St. (turn on Oakhill St.) in Henderson is holding their Pastor Aide Day on Sunday May 26, 2019 at 11 am. All are welcome to attend.
- The Kerr Tar Area Agency on Aging is holding The Kerr Lake Caregiver Retreat on Friday June 7, 2019 from 10:00 am to 3:30 pm at 6254 Satterwhite Point Road in Henderson. This is targeted for family caregivers; to enrich and comfort the soul, to engage and restore the mind. There is no cost to attend, dress comfortable as it is an interactive event, lunch is provided, on-site care will be provided and registration is required. Deadline to register is May 31, 2019. To register call Harvey Holmes at 252-436-2040 or email [email protected]
- The American Legion Riders Post 7 6th Annual Poker Run will be held on June 8, 2019. Rain date June 9, 2019. Registration starts at 10:30 AM at Raging Bull Harley Davidson, 300 Muldee St. in Durham NC. Kickstands up at 12:30 PM. Riders $15.00; Passengers $5.00. Both rider and passenger will receive a Poker hand. Food provided after the ride compliments of American Legion Riders Post 7 and there will be a 50/50 drawing.
- On Monday June 17, 2019, the Henderson Country Club will host the Vance and adjacent counties Interdenominational Ministerial Alliance Golf Classic. The tournament format is 4 man captain’s choice. Onsite registration begins at 7 am; the tournament will commence with a shotgun start at 8 am. The cost is $95.00 per person and more more information contact Rev. Charles Walton at 252-213-0206.
- If someone you know or someone you suspect is a victim of domestic violence, please call FAMILIES LIVING VIOLENCE FREE 24/7 Crisis line English 919-693-5700 and 24/7 Crisis line Hispanic 919-690-0888. There is always someone there to listen, to help! Everything is confidential. Please…you could be saving a life….it could be your own.
- On disability and looking to come back to work? NTI is the leader in helping individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans back into the workplace. We’ve already helped over 1,200 individuals within Vance County through our job services and, considering 1 in every 6 Americans has a disability, there are a lot more to help. If you are on SSI or SSDI and are looking to re-enter the workforce, learn more about the services we offer and register for our program at bit.ly/1450HelpsAmericansWithDisabilities. Our services are FREE to the public throughout America and we even offer free customer service training for those who qualify. If you have questions about what we offer, visit our Facebook page at facebook.com/nticentral. and IM us. Maybe we can be the ones to help.
- Do you need home repairs? Are you on a fixed income? Mission Legacy Inc. has partnered with contractors that provide low-cost repairs, based on income. For more information or to register for affordable home repairs call 252-204-0909 or email [email protected]
- Granville Vance Public Health is offering Medication Assisted Treatment within Primary Care Clinic. Patients seen for Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) will be treated with kindness and respect, no different from any other patient. This is a judgment-free zone. Most insurance is accepted for visits and medication. Lab testing will be billed through LabCorp for special low rates. For more information or to make an appointment call the Granville Co. Health Department at 919-693-2141 or the Vance Co. Health Department at 252-492-7915. We believe even one day off heroin or opioids is a successful start to a better quality of life.
- It is important to stay safe when using your generator. The outdoor power equipment institute recommends reviewing your owner’s manual and following all manufacturer instructions. Make sure your generator is well ventilated. Place it outside and away from windows, doors and vents. Never use a generator inside your home or garage. Install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector. For more safety tips go to opei.org.
- Could you be the voice for a child in court? Train to become a volunteer with the North Carolina Guardian ad Litem program and advocate for the best interest of abused and neglected children in court. If you would like to find out more about being the voice for a child, visit www.volunteerforgal.org or call the Guardian ad Litem Office at 252-430-5121 or 919-497-4244.
- The Vance County Animal Shelter is in need of Clorox to help clean the cages. Also in need of food for puppies, dogs, cats and kittens.
- The Food Pantry at ACTS is very low, please consider donating some of the following items: peanut butter, jelly, canned meats, canned vegetables except green beans and corn, powdered milk, canned or dried beans, rice, instant mashed potatoes, boxed mac and cheese, pasta, boxed cereal, canned fruit, instant cup of soup noodles, applesauce cups, bottled water, juice boxes or pouches, pudding cups and evaporated milk. Consider asking your church or civic group to hold a Food Drive. Items may be brought to 305 South Chestnut St. in Henderson between 7:45 – 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
- The Kindle Ministry at Clearview Church is in need of more volunteers for Gang-Free, Inc. Volunteers are needed on Mondays from 4-6:30 p.m. to help kids with their homework, play games, serve meals and spend time with the kids. Mondays are days that Kindle serves with Gang-Free, but volunteer positions are available every day of the week. For more information contact Cara Gill at 252-425-4280.
- Help Seniors get hired! Are you 55 or older and looking for a job? NC NCBA-SCSEP supports over 300 part-time positions in 18 counties by providing hands-on workplace settings for seniors to develop new skills and talents and support community service activities. Must meet income guidelines, able to work 20 hours per week, participate in job search and earn minimum wage stipend. For more info call Beryle Lewis at 919-693-2686 or email [email protected]