100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
-Information courtesy Terri Hedrick, Public Information Officer, Vance County Schools
The Vance County Schools Nutrition Program is once again providing free meals over the summer to students.
Breakfast and lunch are provided to approximately 500 children at the two VCS Read to Achieve Summer Camps held at Aycock Elementary and L.B. Yancey Elementary from now through July 18.
VCS also feeds approximately 100 children breakfast and lunch through the Mi Centro program at Aycock Elementary for eight weeks in the summer. Mi Centro is a pre-school program for children who do not speak English as their primary language. This program helps with English language development, social skills and academics to prepare children for kindergarten. Meals to all of these camps/programs are free.
Through a federal grant program, VCS provides free lunches to churches, daycares, pre-schools, or other organizations in Vance County who serve children during the summer. According to VCS Public Information Officer Terri Hedrick, all the administrators of the programs have to do is contact the VCS School Nutrition staff to provide basic information.
The administrators in the programs must come to Aycock Elementary (where meals are prepared) to pick up the lunches and take them back to their sites. Hedrick said there are currently 20 summer programs in the county for which VCS provides lunches.
“We have done all of this for several years over the summer because we know many children have inadequate food supplies at home,” stated Hedrick.
Connect With The Author
- District Attorney Waters Addresses Granville Sheriff Investigation - September 18, 2019
- Murder Plot of Former Granville Co. Deputy Results in Indictment for Sheriff - September 17, 2019
- Wilkins, Granville Narcotics & Interstate Interdiction Under Investigation - September 17, 2019
- Fox Found on US 1-158 Tests Positive for Rabies - September 17, 2019
- Reminder: FGV Ducky Derby to ‘Flood’ Garnett St. This Saturday - September 17, 2019
- Emergency Plan, Golf Cart Ordinance Topics for Public Safety Meeting - September 17, 2019
- St. Andrews Christian Church to Hold Homecoming Celebration - September 17, 2019
- Granville’s Tourism Development Authority Awarded for Marketing Campaign - September 17, 2019
- Granville Sheriff Brindell Wilkins Indicted for Obstruction of Justice - September 17, 2019
- Corbitt Preservation Assoc. Finds ‘Golden Treasure’ in Rare Automobile - September 16, 2019