100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
-Information courtesy Terri Hedrick, Public Information Officer, Vance County Schools
The Vance County Schools Nutrition Program is once again providing free meals over the summer to students.
Breakfast and lunch are provided to approximately 500 children at the two VCS Read to Achieve Summer Camps held at Aycock Elementary and L.B. Yancey Elementary from now through July 18.
VCS also feeds approximately 100 children breakfast and lunch through the Mi Centro program at Aycock Elementary for eight weeks in the summer. Mi Centro is a pre-school program for children who do not speak English as their primary language. This program helps with English language development, social skills and academics to prepare children for kindergarten. Meals to all of these camps/programs are free.
Through a federal grant program, VCS provides free lunches to churches, daycares, pre-schools, or other organizations in Vance County who serve children during the summer. According to VCS Public Information Officer Terri Hedrick, all the administrators of the programs have to do is contact the VCS School Nutrition staff to provide basic information.
The administrators in the programs must come to Aycock Elementary (where meals are prepared) to pick up the lunches and take them back to their sites. Hedrick said there are currently 20 summer programs in the county for which VCS provides lunches.
“We have done all of this for several years over the summer because we know many children have inadequate food supplies at home,” stated Hedrick.
Connect With The Author
- BoE Announces Henderson Candidates; Filing Extended for 3rd Ward - July 19, 2019
- Town of Kittrell, Middleburg Nov. Election Candidates Announced - July 19, 2019
- State Cabinet Secretary Visits VGCC - July 19, 2019
- Granville Co. Board of Election Releases Candidate Names - July 19, 2019
- VCSO: Silver Alert Issued for Robert Lewis Rogers - July 19, 2019
- Vance Co. Properties, Water Committee to Meet July 22 - July 19, 2019
- Deported Alien, Previously Found in Granville Co., Charged With Illegal Reentry - July 19, 2019
- Granville Board of Education to Meet in Closed Session - July 19, 2019
- Vance County Schools Announces Leadership Changes - July 18, 2019
- High School Students Explore Medical Science at VGCC South Campus - July 18, 2019