-Press Release, Vance-Granville Community College
Area residents interested in the field of Biotechnology are invited to Vance-Granville Community College’s Franklin Campus for an Open House on Monday, July 23, from 4 to 7 p.m.
The event is open to new applicants to the program as well as current students of VGCC. Stewart Lyon, program head for the Bioprocess Technology curriculum program, will discuss the options for students to earn a certificate or an associate’s degree, and members of the admissions and financial aid staff will be available to help students complete applications on site.
“Vance-Granville prepares men and women for work in the growing biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and chemical manufacturing and distribution environments,” said Lyon. Graduates work as process technicians in biological products manufacturing facilities, with possible jobs including mixing chemicals to make cancer drugs, formulating medical and cosmetic creams and DNA testing kits.
“The certificate program is open to everyone, including students who would be currently enrolled in high school,” Lyon added. The certificate program can be completed with the BioWorks: Process Technician course through VGCC’s Continuing Education division and two curriculum courses, BIO 110 (Principles of Biology) and BPM 111 (Bioprocess Measurements).
In the two-year associate degree program, first-year courses include basics such as biology, chemistry, college algebra and computers, as well as industrial courses in bioprocessing, biochemistry and industrial environment. The first summer and subsequent semester of the program include a cooperative work experience in a local biotechnology company. The second year includes specialized courses in industrial bioprocessing, research and reporting and statistical quality control.
Evening and day course options are available, including online and hybrid opportunities. Visitors will be able to examine the state-of-the-art Biotechnology equipment that students use in the lab at Franklin Campus.
To register for the Open House, complete the form available on the college’s website at www.vgcc.edu/bio-open-house. For more information, contact Bioprocess Technology program head Stewart Lyon at (252) 738-3632 or [email protected]
VGCC’s Franklin County Campus is located at 8100 NC Highway 56 in Louisburg.
Connect With The Author
- Granville Co. Provides Relief to Hurricane Victims, First Responders - September 21, 2018
- ‘Stars of the Grand Ole Opry’ to Delight Country Music Fans - September 21, 2018
- Vance Co. Republican Party to Hold “Get Out The Vote” Rally at Pool Rock - September 21, 2018
- Granville Co. Candidate Forum Scheduled for Oct. 2 - September 21, 2018
- Granville Co. Board of Education to Meet for Work Session – Thurs., Sept. 27 - September 21, 2018
- Drug Activity Complaints Lead to Arrest of Franklin Co. Man - September 21, 2018
- Vance Co. Animal Services Recipient of $7K+ Spay/Neuter Grant - September 20, 2018
- Red Cross: Blood, Platelet Donations Needed in Wake of Florence - September 20, 2018
- ‘Laugh It Up!’ Comedy Show to Entertain at McGregor Hall - September 20, 2018
- ‘A Dash of Hope’ 5K Run/Walk to Raise Funds for Community Partners of Hope - September 20, 2018