-Press Release, Henderson Police Department – Marcus W. Barrow, Chief of Police
In cooperation with the “35th Annual National Night Out,” the Henderson/Vance Night Out Against Crime Committee and the Henderson Police Department will be hosting the Henderson/Vance Night Out Against Crime on Breckenridge Street in downtown Henderson on August 7, 2018. The event is scheduled from 5 to 8 p.m. with set-up beginning at 3 p.m.
The introduction of National Night Out, “America’s Night Out Against Crime,” in 1984 began an effort to promote involvement in crime prevention activities, police-community partnerships, neighborhood camaraderie, and to send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back. NATW’s National Night Out program culminates annually on the first Tuesday of August (In Texas, the first Tuesday of October).
National Night Out now involves over 38.5 million people and 16,500 communities from all fifty states, U.S. Territories, Canadian cities, and military bases worldwide.
The traditional “lights on” campaign and symbolic front porch vigils turned into a celebration across America with various events and activities including, but not limited to, block parties, cookouts, parades, visits from emergency personnel, rallies and marches, exhibits, youth events, safety demonstrations and seminars in an effort to heighten crime and drug prevention awareness; generate support for, and participation in, local anticrime efforts, and strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships, and send a message to criminals letting them know neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.
Events for this year’s Night Out include displays of law enforcement and public safety vehicles and equipment, informational booths for public safety and public health agencies and organizations, and children’s activities.
The Event Coordinator for the Henderson/Vance Night Out Against Crime 2018 is Community Services Sergeant Marti Stewart of the Henderson Police Department. Agencies and organizations involved in public safety and related fields interested in participating in the event may contact Sergeant Marti Stewart at (252) 432-0062 or via email at [email protected]
Connect With The Author
- Eastern N.C. Attorney’s Office Collects Over $13 Million in Civil/Criminal Actions - February 18, 2019
- Granville Co. Public Schools: ‘It’s Kindergarten Registration Time’ - February 18, 2019
- Annual Mardi Gras Bash to Benefit Boys & Girls Club – Feb. 23 - February 18, 2019
- Sheriff Curtis Brame to Serve as Keynote Speaker at Black History Program - February 18, 2019
- Harrington Charged With Triple Homicide in 2018 Harrell St. Murders - February 15, 2019
- Public Comment Opportunity for NCDOT Division 5 Projects - February 15, 2019
- Aycock Rec. Center Announces Spring 2019 Swim Lesson Schedule - February 15, 2019
- Maloney Named New Branch Manager at Thornton Library - February 15, 2019
- Warren Co. High School to Hold ‘Around the World’ International Fair - February 15, 2019
- Vance Co. Schools Recognizes Student Spotlight Recipients - February 14, 2019