-Press Release, Vance-Granville Community College
The Triangle North Healthcare Foundation recently endowed a new scholarship specifically designed to support Vance-Granville Community College Nursing students who are enrolled in a program to complete bachelor’s degrees.
In awarding the “Triangle North Healthcare Foundation RIBN Presidential Scholar Award,” preference will be given to students in the “Regionally Increasing Baccalaureate Nurses” (RIBN) program. RIBN students are simultaneously enrolled at the community college and North Carolina A&T State University. They earn associate’s degrees in nursing through VGCC over three years (while also taking A&T courses online) and then continue for one year of additional courses at A&T required for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree.
The new endowment marks a continuation of the partnership between the college and the foundation, which has already created two VGCC Academic Achievement Scholarships, one of which is also designed to be awarded to students in the RIBN program. The Presidential Scholar Award is the college’s second-highest scholarship tier.
“Triangle North Healthcare Foundation is pleased to support the RIBN program, which enables a local student to achieve a bachelor’s degree in nursing at a university while remaining in the community,” said Val Short, the Foundation’s executive director.
Based in Henderson, the Triangle North Healthcare Foundation provides grants to nonprofits organizations, governmental agencies, and schools in Vance, Warren, Granville and Franklin counties. The Foundation also provides scholarships to students in the region who are pursuing health care careers.
“We are grateful for the Triangle North Healthcare Foundation’s partnership with our college to further strengthen the RIBN program,” said Dr. Rachel Desmarais, VGCC’s president. “This scholarship will be a new source of support to help outstanding Nursing students prepare for rewarding careers in health care and meet employers’ need for highly-trained professionals.”
Through the Endowment Fund, VGCC has awarded more than 9,400 scholarships to students since 1982. Scholarships have been endowed by numerous individuals, industries, businesses, civic groups, churches and the college’s faculty and staff. Tax-deductible donations to the VGCC Endowment Fund have often been used to honor or remember a person, group, business or industry with a lasting gift to education. For more information, call (252) 738-3409.
Connect With The Author
- Thank-A-Vet Program Launches in Granville County - November 11, 2019
- Raleigh Ringers to Bring Holiday Cheer to McGregor Hall - November 11, 2019
- Town of Louisburg Will Host 2019 Christmas Parade Sun. Dec. 8 - November 11, 2019
- Granville Chamber to Hold Annual Thanksgiving Breakfast - November 11, 2019
- Poplar Creek Baptist to Host ‘Unashamed’ at Gospel Singing, Dinner Show - November 11, 2019
- Carey Chapel Community Watch to Meet Nov. 25 - November 11, 2019
- Salvation Army to Hold Open House Event for New Facility This Weekend - November 8, 2019
- Shop Small, Shop Local on Small Business Saturday – Nov. 30 - November 8, 2019
- Oxford’s Christmas Parade, Lighting of the Greens Set for Dec. 6 - November 8, 2019
- VGCC Brings Partners Together for Summit on Talent Pipeline - November 8, 2019