Franklin-Granville-Vance Partnership For Children will soon begin enrolling kids in Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library program. F-G-V Development Coordinator Garry Daeke told WIZS News that the North Carolina Partnership for Children (NCPC) is distributing $10.5 million statewide over two years.
Daeke said, “The NC Legislature during its last biennial budget allocated $3.5 million in fiscal year 17-18, and $7 million for fiscal year 18-19, for Dolly Parton Imagination Library program expansion throughout NC…Each local partnership then applies for funds to serve the number of children they believe they can enroll.
“We are in process of setting up our contract with the Dolly Parton Foundation, and will be announcing where and how to enroll very shortly. Initially, we will set up an announced enrollment day in each county, probably at local libraries, where parents can enroll children.”
You should look for enrollment forms at convenient locations like the hospital, health department and in pediatricians’ offices.
Daeke said, “Once we are up and running, there will also be on-line enrollment link for us on Dolly Parton’s web page, as well as our local webpage, www.fgvsmartstart.org.”
He said, “With the increased recognition that an important part of brain development occurs within the first three years of a child’s life, and that reading to children enhances vocabulary and other important communication skills, the American Academy of Pediatrics, which represents 62,000 pediatricians across the country, is asking its members to become powerful advocates for reading aloud, every time a baby visits the doctor.”
Daeke quoted Dr. Pamela High, who wrote the new policy. He said, “It should be there each time we touch bases with children.” The policy recommends that doctors tell parents they should be “reading together as a daily fun family activity” from infancy.
Connect With The Author
- VGCC Trustee L. Opie Frazier Jr. Awarded Order of the Long Leaf Pine - July 17, 2018
- Granville Co. Residents Encouraged to Register for ‘Code Red’ Notification Service - July 17, 2018
- Voting Informational to be Held at Perry Memorial Library, Sat., July 21 - July 17, 2018
- Lunch Break to Educate: Canva for Your Small Business - July 17, 2018
- Oxford’s Public Works Committee to Meet Thurs., July 19 - July 17, 2018
- Theft From Construction Site of Henderson Collegiate School - July 16, 2018
- Simmons to Hold ‘Coffee With A Candidate’ Meet and Greet - July 16, 2018
- Families Living Violence Free to Hold Quarter Auction at Vino Oasi - July 16, 2018
- U.S. Forfeits $700K+ in Proceeds Seized from Convenience Store Operators - July 16, 2018
- Granville Co. Crime Stoppers: Larceny in New Applewood Subdivision - July 16, 2018