Franklin-Granville-Vance Partnership For Children will soon begin enrolling kids in Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library program. F-G-V Development Coordinator Garry Daeke told WIZS News that the North Carolina Partnership for Children (NCPC) is distributing $10.5 million statewide over two years.
Daeke said, “The NC Legislature during its last biennial budget allocated $3.5 million in fiscal year 17-18, and $7 million for fiscal year 18-19, for Dolly Parton Imagination Library program expansion throughout NC…Each local partnership then applies for funds to serve the number of children they believe they can enroll.
“We are in process of setting up our contract with the Dolly Parton Foundation, and will be announcing where and how to enroll very shortly. Initially, we will set up an announced enrollment day in each county, probably at local libraries, where parents can enroll children.”
You should look for enrollment forms at convenient locations like the hospital, health department and in pediatricians’ offices.
Daeke said, “Once we are up and running, there will also be on-line enrollment link for us on Dolly Parton’s web page, as well as our local webpage, www.fgvsmartstart.org.”
He said, “With the increased recognition that an important part of brain development occurs within the first three years of a child’s life, and that reading to children enhances vocabulary and other important communication skills, the American Academy of Pediatrics, which represents 62,000 pediatricians across the country, is asking its members to become powerful advocates for reading aloud, every time a baby visits the doctor.”
Daeke quoted Dr. Pamela High, who wrote the new policy. He said, “It should be there each time we touch bases with children.” The policy recommends that doctors tell parents they should be “reading together as a daily fun family activity” from infancy.
Connect With The Author
- Don’t Miss WIZS’ Town Talk on Monday: Q&A With Vance Co. Sheriff Candidates - October 12, 2018
- Maria Parham Franklin to Open Doors on October 15 - October 12, 2018
- Reminder: Vance Co. Sheriff Candidates’ Forum is This Sun., Oct. 14 - October 12, 2018
- ‘Look, Listen & Learn’ Fire Prevention Day Canceled - October 12, 2018
- Vance Co. Fire Commission to Discuss Restructuring – Wed., Oct. 17 - October 12, 2018
- Franklin Co. Reports Discharge of Untreated Wastewater From Two Pump Stations - October 12, 2018
- Granville Co. Board of Commissioners to Meet Mon., Oct. 15 - October 12, 2018
- Loose Leaf Collection in Oxford Runs Mid-Oct. Through Mid-Jan. - October 12, 2018
- Duke Energy Update: 27K+ Without Power Locally, Restoration Could Take Days - October 12, 2018
- UPDATE: All Campuses of VGCC CLOSED Today - October 12, 2018