— courtesy VGCC
A grant that Wake Electric Membership Corporation awarded to Vance-Granville Community College has been used for a project to provide enhanced technology for students in the Library on the college’s Main Campus in Vance County.
The $3,000 Classroom Technology grant purchased three 48-inch LED smart TV monitors allowing for large-screen displays in each of three study rooms in the library, as well as a Microsoft Surface tablet device that can also be used by students in those study rooms.
“We are very excited that our students can now use this interactive technology in our library to help them study and succeed in their classes,” said VGCC Director of Library Services Elaine Stem, who applied for the grant. “Our study room usage has doubled in the past year, and I know this new technology will only increase the demand for the study space.”
Stem explained that the rooms previously had 19-inch monitors, which were not well-suited for use by groups of students, or even by individual students needing high-quality visual representations. “We are very appreciative to Wake Electric for supporting VGCC students,” Stem added.
Wake Electric awards Classroom Technology grants to public K-12 schools and community colleges in its service area. The funds for the grants come from WEMC members who agree to round up their light bill to the nearest whole dollar through the “Operation RoundUp” program. Wake Electric is a non-profit electric utility serving over 42,500 consumers in parts of Durham, Franklin, Granville, Johnston, Nash, Vance, and Wake counties.
For more information on library services at VGCC, call (252) 738-3279 or visit library.vgcc.edu.
(VGCC is an advertising client of WIZS.)
Connect With The Author
- Student Spotlight Award Winners Honored - May 22, 2018
- Franklin County Veterans to be Honored Sat., June 2 - May 22, 2018
- Remainder of Henderson City Council Budget Sessions Canceled - May 22, 2018
- Granville Co. Board of Education to Meet Tues., May 29 - May 22, 2018
- Granville Co. Budget Workshop Canceled for May 24 - May 22, 2018
- VGCC President Williams Resigns To Take VP Position At Duke - May 21, 2018
- Top Graduates in Class of 2018 Honored - May 21, 2018
- Memorial Day Wreath Laying, Town of Butner - May 21, 2018
- Warren County Animal Ark FREE Rabies Shots - May 21, 2018
- American Red Cross Disaster Bootcamp - May 21, 2018