100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
-Press Release, Vance-Granville Community College
Vance-Granville Community College students volunteered at Franklin-Granville-Vance Smart Start’s 10th Annual “Ducky Derby” fundraiser in downtown Henderson on Saturday, September 21.
The Ducky Derby festival, the local Smart Start program’s signature fundraiser, was a sell-out event, with record-setting attendance. Young children and their families watched over 2,250 yellow rubber ducks, purchased by supporters, swim down the “river” on Garnett Street and race to the finish line.
A part of the festival included providing entertainment and games for the children, such as corn hole and ring toss, face painting and balloon animals.
Students from VGCC’s Early Childhood Education degree program assisted with implementing the games and helped to make sure that all the ducks had a safe journey down the “river.” Additionally, students assisted with the setup and cleanup of the event.
Participating VGCC students included Tiffany Bailey, Debi Brotherton, Brittaniana Channell, Cornisha Mitchell, Simone Rose and Ashley Wright.
“This event was an excellent example of our instructors and students serving as stellar representatives of VGCC and collaborating with the community we serve and was particularly appropriate since these students are in training to teach and nurture children,” said Antoinette C. Dickens, the college’s Department Chair of Public Service and Work-Based Learning Coordinator.
VGCC’s Early Childhood Education curriculum prepares students to work with children from birth through eight in diverse learning environments. Employment opportunities include child development and child care programs; preschools; public and private schools; recreational centers; Head Start Programs; and school-age programs.
The program is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
For more information, contact Dr. Tracey Bennett Carter at (252) 738-3471 or [email protected].
Connect With The Author
- No Charge Food Distribution Scheduled for Thurs., Dec. 12 - December 9, 2019
- McGregor Hall to Offer Three Performances of ‘Black Nativity’ - December 9, 2019
- Oxford’s Newly Elected to be Administered Oath of Office – Dec. 10 - December 9, 2019
- Enjoy ‘Pancakes With Santa’ at Crystal River Church of God - December 9, 2019
- Propane Safety Paramount as Cold Weather Approaches - December 9, 2019
- VCRFM 2019 Season Ends This Weekend! - December 6, 2019
- VCSO: Undercover Operation Ends in Two Drug Arrests - December 6, 2019
- Henderson City Council to Swear In Newly Elected Officials at Mon. Meeting - December 6, 2019
- Vance Co. Board of Commissioners to Meet Mon., Dec. 9 - December 6, 2019
- Vance Co. Schools to Host District-Wide Family Night Dec. 10 - December 6, 2019