100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
-Press Release, Vance-Granville Community College
Vance-Granville Community College students volunteered at Franklin-Granville-Vance Smart Start’s 10th Annual “Ducky Derby” fundraiser in downtown Henderson on Saturday, September 21.
The Ducky Derby festival, the local Smart Start program’s signature fundraiser, was a sell-out event, with record-setting attendance. Young children and their families watched over 2,250 yellow rubber ducks, purchased by supporters, swim down the “river” on Garnett Street and race to the finish line.
A part of the festival included providing entertainment and games for the children, such as corn hole and ring toss, face painting and balloon animals.
Students from VGCC’s Early Childhood Education degree program assisted with implementing the games and helped to make sure that all the ducks had a safe journey down the “river.” Additionally, students assisted with the setup and cleanup of the event.
Participating VGCC students included Tiffany Bailey, Debi Brotherton, Brittaniana Channell, Cornisha Mitchell, Simone Rose and Ashley Wright.
“This event was an excellent example of our instructors and students serving as stellar representatives of VGCC and collaborating with the community we serve and was particularly appropriate since these students are in training to teach and nurture children,” said Antoinette C. Dickens, the college’s Department Chair of Public Service and Work-Based Learning Coordinator.
VGCC’s Early Childhood Education curriculum prepares students to work with children from birth through eight in diverse learning environments. Employment opportunities include child development and child care programs; preschools; public and private schools; recreational centers; Head Start Programs; and school-age programs.
The program is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children.
For more information, contact Dr. Tracey Bennett Carter at (252) 738-3471 or [email protected].
Connect With The Author
- VGCC Announces 2019/2020 Psychology Club Officers, Members - October 15, 2019
- ‘Cops on Top’ Fundraiser TOMORROW at Henderson Chick-fil-A - October 14, 2019
- Vance Co. Properties Committee to Hear on Eaton Johnson Building Progress - October 14, 2019
- Reminder: Tour de Vance Registration Runs Through Fri.; Bike Ride Set for Sat. - October 14, 2019
- Downtown Oxford Trick-or-Treating Set for Halloween Day - October 14, 2019
- Youth Basketball Clinic to Focus on Gun/Gang Violence Awareness - October 14, 2019
- More Than $3.4M in Grants Awarded by NC Tobacco Trust Fund Commission - October 14, 2019
- H-V Chamber, IOPL to Sponsor Televised Hometown Healthcare Debate - October 11, 2019
- Closing Chestnut Alley, Rezoning Beckford Dr. on City Council’s Oct. Agenda - October 11, 2019
- Granville County Crime Stoppers to Host Annual Banquet - October 11, 2019