-Press Release, Vance-Granville Community College
Vance-Granville Community College celebrated Vanguard student-athletes at the college’s annual Athletics Banquet, held on March 23 in the Civic Center on the Main Campus.
VGCC Coordinator of Student Activities & Athletics Jermiel Hargrove praised the students for their hard work, both on the court and in the classroom. He recognized, in particular, the women’s volleyball team captain, Hannah Arneth of Oxford, and the men’s basketball team co-captains, Mitch Beck of Raleigh and Kenneth “KJ” Finley, Jr., of Louisburg. Arneth announced she would be continuing her volleyball career in the next academic year at Piedmont International University in Winston-Salem.
VGCC Volleyball Head Coach Jessica Smith and Assistant Coach Kelley Perdue presented awards to their players. Hannah Arneth received the Defensive Award. Stormi Abernathy of Leasburg received the Offensive Award. She was also named to the Second Team All-Region and placed second in the Region X conference for total points, Coach Smith noted. Brittany Trivette of Oxford received the “Hustle Award.”
Other volleyball team members recognized included Gabrielle Gilley of Creedmoor, Amber Newton of Louisburg, Autumn Wortham of Henderson, Jessica Wortham of Henderson and team manager Jordan Edwards of Louisburg.
Vanguards Men’s Basketball Head Coach DeMarcus Oliver and Assistant Coaches Anthony McCrimmon and Eladio Espinosa presented awards to their student-athletes. The Vanguard Award went to Mitch Beck for excellence in representing the team and VGCC. The Team Leadership Award was presented to KJ Finley. Kalin Jackson of Henderson received the Most Improved Award.
Other basketball players recognized included Obray Rufus of Charlotte, LaQuad Holden of Henderson, Calvin Malik Manley of Louisburg, Bernard Gregory of Petersburg, Va., Cora Mbaye of Raleigh, Kaeson Mayfield of Durham and Brandon Eatman of Wilson.
Current or prospective students interested in participating in VGCC athletics during the 2018-19 year should contact Jermiel Hargrove at [email protected] or (252) 738-3246.
Connect With The Author
- H-V Chamber Members Encouraged to Host Business After Hours - May 24, 2018
- Vance Co. Regional Farmer’s Market – Sat. May 26 - May 24, 2018
- Ribbon-Cuttings for Handyman Solutions/Mold & Moisture Medics - May 24, 2018
- Public Safety Committee to Meet Tues., June 5 - May 24, 2018
- Oxford Board of Commissioners Finance Committee to Meet Wed., May 30 - May 24, 2018
- Annual Warren Co. Chamber Meeting Set for Thurs., June 14 - May 24, 2018
- Two Raleigh Residents Arrested for Breaking/Entering in Franklin Co. - May 24, 2018
- VGCC Department Chair McGrady Recognized for National Faculty Award - May 23, 2018
- VGCC Trustees Expand Pharmacy Tech Programs with Certificates - May 23, 2018
- Privette Charged with Breaking/Entering, Larceny - May 23, 2018