100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
-Press Release, Vance-Granville Community College
The state of North Carolina has once again awarded a five-star license — the highest possible rating — to the Child Care Center at Vance-Granville Community College’s Main Campus.
State evaluations of child care programs are conducted once every three years, explained Melanie Copeland, the manager of the VGCC center. “On a scale of one to 15 points, our program received 14 total points, earning the renewal of our five-star status,” Copeland said. “The five-star rating demonstrates that we provide exceptionally high-quality care and education.”
Since the North Carolina Division of Child Development and Early Education began the current system of star rated licenses for child care centers in 2000, the center on VGCC’s Main Campus has earned the five-star rating in seven consecutive evaluations.
As part of the evaluation process, the Child Care Center was visited by fire and sanitarian inspectors, a state licensing consultant and two state-appointed evaluators. They rated the center in two categories – staff education standards and program standards. The center received a perfect score of 7 points in the area of staff education, 6 points for program standards, and a bonus point because all of its teachers have at least associate’s degrees in early childhood education.
“The strength of our child care center is our staff! The dedication they show day in and day out is what made our success possible. They are the most devoted group of ladies I have ever met. I knew when my two boys were here that this was a remarkable center. I am blessed to work side by side this group every day!” Copeland said.
Copeland pointed out that not only does the center provide outstanding child care, but it also affords an excellent environment for students in Vance-Granville’s Early Childhood Education program to gain practical training.
The VGCC Child Care Center is licensed to accommodate 38 children, toddler to four years old. For more information, parents can call Melanie Copeland at (252) 738-3220.
Connect With The Author
- BoE Announces Henderson Candidates; Filing Extended for 3rd Ward - July 19, 2019
- Town of Kittrell, Middleburg Nov. Election Candidates Announced - July 19, 2019
- State Cabinet Secretary Visits VGCC - July 19, 2019
- Granville Co. Board of Election Releases Candidate Names - July 19, 2019
- VCSO: Silver Alert Issued for Robert Lewis Rogers - July 19, 2019
- Vance Co. Properties, Water Committee to Meet July 22 - July 19, 2019
- Deported Alien, Previously Found in Granville Co., Charged With Illegal Reentry - July 19, 2019
- Granville Board of Education to Meet in Closed Session - July 19, 2019
- Vance County Schools Announces Leadership Changes - July 18, 2019
- High School Students Explore Medical Science at VGCC South Campus - July 18, 2019