100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
-Press Release, Triangle North Healthcare Foundation
Triangle North Healthcare Foundation’s Board of Directors has awarded $258,500 in grants to local organizations in the Foundation’s seventh annual grant cycle. With the 2019 grant award, the Foundation’s contributions to the community total over $1.8 million since the Foundation began grantmaking in 2013.
“The primary purpose of our grantmaking is to invest in organizations that share our mission to improve health in our region,” said Val Short, executive director for the Foundation. “Our hope is that these grant awards will result in improved health and healthier outcomes for children and adults in Vance, Warren, Granville, and Franklin counties,” said Short.
The eight grants approved by the board fall under one or more of the five funding priorities established by the Foundation in 2013, including chronic disease, mental health and substance abuse, nutrition and physical activity, reproductive health, and success in school as related to health and wellness.
“In all of our grant programs, health and wellness are at the heart of the work they will do,” said Short.
The list of the grant recipients and their projects for 2019-20 includes:
- Alliance Rehabilitative Care (ARC) – Access to Dental Care – Residents entering the substance abuse halfway house in Henderson will receive dental screening and preventive care and, when necessary, more extensive dental treatment to prevent further decay and to promote overall health.
- Henderson Family YMCA – 1) Girls on the Run – a self-esteem and healthy lifestyles program for girls & boys culminating in a 5k run/walk at the end of each semester; 2) Safety Around Water – teaches water safety and drowning prevention skills to 2nd graders in Vance County.
- NC Med Assist – Free Pharmacy Program & Over-the-Counter Giveaways –– provides free medications and support for low income and uninsured individuals in the Triangle North Region. In addition, two over-the-counter medicine giveaways will be implemented this year in Vance and Granville counties.
- Shepherd Youth Ranch – Trail to Success – Provide skill building for youth suffering from grief, loss, abandonment and abuse. Partial scholarships will be provided to 10 youth who are referred by the school system or law enforcement who will enter into an intensive 24-week program, which consists of weekly group and monthly family sessions in a unique program that uses horses to help with therapy.
- Strength and Mending (S.a.M) Child Advocacy Center – Child Forensic Interviews – provides a centralized, child-centered approach to investigation that reduces the risk of trauma to the children who are victims of abuse; increases opportunities for healing for the child and non-offending family members.
- TROSA (Triangle Residential Options for Substance Abusers, Inc.) – Rebuilding Lives: Mental Health & Substance Abuse Recovery – provides a two-year residential recovery program with treatment, education, vocational training and care for residents of the Triangle North region who suffer from alcohol and substance abuse, free of charge.
- Working Landscapes – What’s Growing in Granville County— in partnership with Granville Vance Public Health & Granville County Schools, this program aims to improve the health of students in Granville County Schools by learning about and consuming healthy, locally grown food.
Located in Henderson, Triangle North Healthcare Foundation provides grants to nonprofit organizations, governmental agencies, and schools in Vance, Warren, Granville, and Franklin counties. The Foundation’s grant funding mission has been made possible by the endowment that was established after Maria Parham Health merged with the for-profit Duke-Lifepoint in 2011.
The Foundation will launch a new grant cycle in the spring of 2020, but in the meantime, the Foundation staff is available to discuss ideas for grant projects or to provide assistance with grant writing. Call the Foundation office at 252-430-8532 for information about future grant opportunities or visit the Foundation’s website at www.tnhfoundation.org .
Connect With The Author
- City Council’s Nov. Meeting to Include Public Hearing on Zoning Amendment - November 15, 2019
- Cardinal Innovations Healthcare Launches New Governance Structure - November 15, 2019
- Downtown Henderson to Hold Holiday Window Decorating Contest - November 15, 2019
- Living With Joint Pain? Join MPH for a FREE Lunch & Learn Event - November 15, 2019
- Granville Co. Commissioners to Meet Mon., Nov 18 - November 15, 2019
- Oxford Prep PTO to Hold 4th Annual Holiday Bazaar Sat., Nov. 16 - November 15, 2019
- NC Farms Open for Winter Events - November 15, 2019
- VGCC Awards Scholarships to 349 Students - November 14, 2019
- U.S. 158 Bridge in Granville County Opens - November 14, 2019
- Don’t Miss VCRFM’s Annual Handcrafted Holiday Market This Saturday! - November 14, 2019