100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
Zenovia Hogue, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) Science in the Summer (SIS) Coordinator for the Morehead Planetarium & Science Center in Chapel Hill, NC, appeared on WIZS Town Talk Wednesday at 11 a.m.
Bringing summer science activities to rising second through eighth-grade students in 10 counties throughout Central North Carolina since 2008, Hogue said the free program is “an engaging, fun way to prevent the proven slide that happens when kids don’t participate in academic activities over the summer break.”
“SIS is free to all participating children because GSK covers all program expenses,” Hogue explained. “Science in the Summer would not be possible without their support.”
The 2020 SIS theme is “Chemistry is everywhere!” According to the SIS website, students will enjoy everything from “discovering polymers with color-changing slime to investigating how zombie worms use chemicals to survive. Students will use common, everyday materials and ingredients to understand that almost everything they do is connected to science. Along the way, not only will they discover that science is exciting, but that it will be a key part of their future – no matter which career they choose.”
Local teachers may also join in on the summer fun by applying to be a paid SIS educator. A current teaching license is required and an application process must be completed. Those interested may visit the Morehead Planetarium’s employment website by clicking here.
For Vance County residents, the first SIS student session will be held at the Perry Memorial Library for rising second through fifth graders June 15 – 19, 2020, from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Registration date is March 2.
The second session will be held at the Perry Memorial Library for rising sixth through eighth graders July 13 – 15, 2020, from 1 – 4 p.m. Registration date is March 10.
Spaces are limited in all summer sessions and registration is required. For more information, including Granville and Franklin County sessions, and to register, please visit the SIS website at www.moreheadplanetarium.org/sis.
To hear the interview with Hogue in its entirety, go to WIZS.com and click on Town Talk.
Connect With The Author
- Town Talk 01/23/20: NC Treasurer Folwell Assures State Pension is Secure - January 23, 2020
- Paramedicine, Paid Volunteer Fire Positions Among Retreat Discussions - January 23, 2020
- ‘Rise Against Hunger’ Exceeds Meal Packing Goal - January 22, 2020
- Town Talk 01/22/20: Caregiver’s Cup at Sadie’s & Local Senior Games - January 22, 2020
- Volunteers Gather on ‘Coldest Morning of 2020’ for Smoke Detector Campaign - January 20, 2020
- Town Talk 01/20/20: Democratic Chair Discusses Meeting, Low Voter Turnout - January 20, 2020
- Town Talk 01/16/20: Changes to Annual Chamber Banquet = Less Time, More Fun - January 16, 2020
- Town Talk 01/15/20: ‘Sound the Alarm’ Fire Campaign Coming to Vance Co. - January 15, 2020
- Town Talk 01/14/20: City’s Fire Study Finds ‘More Personnel Needed Now’ - January 14, 2020
- Town Talk 01/13/20: Ed Wilson Talks Vance Co. Board of Education, School Safety - January 13, 2020