100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
Terry Garrison, local businessman and Democratic NC House representative for District 32, discussed budget negotiations and the proposed Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) relocation with WIZS News.
Garrison said all hope is not lost on the primarily Republican-backed proposal of moving DHHS’ headquarters from Raleigh to Granville County as part of an effort to revitalize rural areas in the state.
“I’m certainly going to be pushing for that chance to happen,” said Garrison.
Triangle North Granville, a business and industrial park that encompasses 527-acres in Granville and Vance counties, has been proposed as a relocation site for DHHS administrative offices.
Included in the Senate version of the budget as presented to Democratic Governor Roy Cooper, the $250 million proposal could still become a reality if the governor’s recent budget veto is overridden.
“We’ll have to see how things transpire during the negotiation process,” Garrison said. “When you look at all of the factors, it was my thinking that it was worth it for us to try to negotiate it.”
Benefits to the area would include the creation of multiple employment opportunities and potential partnerships with local educational institutions and organizations.
With no budget agreement reached by the beginning of the fiscal year on July 1, Garrison said the government will continue at current funding levels until negotiations are completed.
Connect With The Author
- Duke Energy’s Work Continues During Stay-at-Home Ordinance - April 3, 2020
- Franklin County to Impose Curfew Effective Sun., April 5 - April 3, 2020
- Franklin Co. Schools Home-Based Assignments, Wi-Fi Access Available April 6 - April 3, 2020
- H-V Rec. & Parks Offering Free At-Home Egg Hunt to 25 Families - April 3, 2020
- First Case of COVID-19 Confirmed in Warren County - April 3, 2020
- VGCC Small Business Center Offering Eight-Part ‘Doing Business Remotely’ Series - April 3, 2020
- Granville Board of Education’s April 6 Meeting to be Conducted Electronically - April 3, 2020
- H-V Rec. & Parks Announces Closure of All Playgrounds, Outdoor Basketball Courts - April 3, 2020
- Vance Board of Commissioners to Hold April Meeting With Limited Public Access - April 2, 2020
- No Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 Reported in Warren Co. to Date - April 2, 2020