100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
Terry Garrison, local businessman and Democratic NC House representative for District 32, discussed budget negotiations and the proposed Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) relocation with WIZS News.
Garrison said all hope is not lost on the primarily Republican-backed proposal of moving DHHS’ headquarters from Raleigh to Granville County as part of an effort to revitalize rural areas in the state.
“I’m certainly going to be pushing for that chance to happen,” said Garrison.
Triangle North Granville, a business and industrial park that encompasses 527-acres in Granville and Vance counties, has been proposed as a relocation site for DHHS administrative offices.
Included in the Senate version of the budget as presented to Democratic Governor Roy Cooper, the $250 million proposal could still become a reality if the governor’s recent budget veto is overridden.
“We’ll have to see how things transpire during the negotiation process,” Garrison said. “When you look at all of the factors, it was my thinking that it was worth it for us to try to negotiate it.”
Benefits to the area would include the creation of multiple employment opportunities and potential partnerships with local educational institutions and organizations.
With no budget agreement reached by the beginning of the fiscal year on July 1, Garrison said the government will continue at current funding levels until negotiations are completed.
Connect With The Author
- ‘Cops on Top’ Fundraiser TOMORROW at Henderson Chick-fil-A - October 14, 2019
- Vance Co. Properties Committee to Hear on Eaton Johnson Building Progress - October 14, 2019
- Reminder: Tour de Vance Registration Runs Through Fri.; Bike Ride Set for Sat. - October 14, 2019
- Downtown Oxford Trick-or-Treating Set for Halloween Day - October 14, 2019
- Youth Basketball Clinic to Focus on Gun/Gang Violence Awareness - October 14, 2019
- More Than $3.4M in Grants Awarded by NC Tobacco Trust Fund Commission - October 14, 2019
- H-V Chamber, IOPL to Sponsor Televised Hometown Healthcare Debate - October 11, 2019
- Closing Chestnut Alley, Rezoning Beckford Dr. on City Council’s Oct. Agenda - October 11, 2019
- Granville County Crime Stoppers to Host Annual Banquet - October 11, 2019
- Vance County Schools to Hold District Parent Night - October 11, 2019