100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
Terry Garrison, local businessman and Democratic NC House representative for District 32, discussed budget negotiations and the proposed Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) relocation with WIZS News.
Garrison said all hope is not lost on the primarily Republican-backed proposal of moving DHHS’ headquarters from Raleigh to Granville County as part of an effort to revitalize rural areas in the state.
“I’m certainly going to be pushing for that chance to happen,” said Garrison.
Triangle North Granville, a business and industrial park that encompasses 527-acres in Granville and Vance counties, has been proposed as a relocation site for DHHS administrative offices.
Included in the Senate version of the budget as presented to Democratic Governor Roy Cooper, the $250 million proposal could still become a reality if the governor’s recent budget veto is overridden.
“We’ll have to see how things transpire during the negotiation process,” Garrison said. “When you look at all of the factors, it was my thinking that it was worth it for us to try to negotiate it.”
Benefits to the area would include the creation of multiple employment opportunities and potential partnerships with local educational institutions and organizations.
With no budget agreement reached by the beginning of the fiscal year on July 1, Garrison said the government will continue at current funding levels until negotiations are completed.
Connect With The Author
- BoE Announces Henderson Candidates; Filing Extended for 3rd Ward - July 19, 2019
- Town of Kittrell, Middleburg Nov. Election Candidates Announced - July 19, 2019
- State Cabinet Secretary Visits VGCC - July 19, 2019
- Granville Co. Board of Election Releases Candidate Names - July 19, 2019
- VCSO: Silver Alert Issued for Robert Lewis Rogers - July 19, 2019
- Vance Co. Properties, Water Committee to Meet July 22 - July 19, 2019
- Deported Alien, Previously Found in Granville Co., Charged With Illegal Reentry - July 19, 2019
- Granville Board of Education to Meet in Closed Session - July 19, 2019
- Vance County Schools Announces Leadership Changes - July 18, 2019
- High School Students Explore Medical Science at VGCC South Campus - July 18, 2019