100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
-Press Release, NCDA&CS
After several hit-or-miss years, peach growers across the state are celebrating what is shaping up to be a solid peach growing season.
“Consumers can expect peaches to be in good quantity and quality this year,” said Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler. “Many growers began picking in early June with plans to continue through the end of August.”
Unlike surrounding states, most of North Carolina’s peaches are sold directly to consumers at roadside stands and farmers markets. In fact, consumers can find peach orchards in about two-thirds of the state’s counties. Troxler encourages consumers to check with their favorite peach grower for availability and timing of their favorite varieties.
To celebrate the season, the department will host Peach Day events at the State Farmers Market in Raleigh on July 11 and the Robert G. Shaw Piedmont Triad Farmers Market in Colfax on July 12. Both events run from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and feature a peach recipe contest, free samples of peach ice cream and an appearance from the N.C. Peach Queen.
Peach lovers also can enjoy the N.C. Peach Festival in Candor July 19 and 20. The 23rd-annual event includes a parade, music, carnival rides, food vendors and lots of fresh, local peaches.
North Carolina is home to about 800 acres of peaches. In 2017, peach growers contributed $2.7 million to the state’s economy, with more than two dozen varieties grown.
Connect With The Author
- ‘Cops on Top’ Fundraiser TOMORROW at Henderson Chick-fil-A - October 14, 2019
- Vance Co. Properties Committee to Hear on Eaton Johnson Building Progress - October 14, 2019
- Reminder: Tour de Vance Registration Runs Through Fri.; Bike Ride Set for Sat. - October 14, 2019
- Downtown Oxford Trick-or-Treating Set for Halloween Day - October 14, 2019
- Youth Basketball Clinic to Focus on Gun/Gang Violence Awareness - October 14, 2019
- More Than $3.4M in Grants Awarded by NC Tobacco Trust Fund Commission - October 14, 2019
- H-V Chamber, IOPL to Sponsor Televised Hometown Healthcare Debate - October 11, 2019
- Closing Chestnut Alley, Rezoning Beckford Dr. on City Council’s Oct. Agenda - October 11, 2019
- Granville County Crime Stoppers to Host Annual Banquet - October 11, 2019
- Vance County Schools to Hold District Parent Night - October 11, 2019