— submitted by Lorraine Watkins, MADD President
MADD’S HIGHEST HONORS BESTOWED
ON NC HIGHWAY PATROL
TROOP C DISTRICT 4
MADD’S 2017 Annual Awards Banquet was held Thursday, April 5th in Cary, North Carolina. Vance, Franklin and Warren counties “Troop C District 4,” led by 1st Sergeant Jeff Rowan, had three troopers to receive the highest honors for the number of arrests made for keeping our highways safe from drunk and impaired drivers. Flanked by the Governor’s Highway Safety Program Director Mark Ezzell, Col. Glen M. McNeill, State Highway Patrol Commander, a judge, district attorneys, lawyers as well as state police officers, sheriff’s and deputies and other state highway patrol officers, the “2017 Enforcer Award” was presented to three of our troopers: Trooper Joseph Thomas, 154 arrests; Trooper Joshua Southerland, 128 arrests; and Trooper Eugene Burrell, 122 arrests. These troopers will tell you it’s not about numbers but saving innocent lives from being ripped from families by senseless acts of an impaired individuals. Our sincere congratulations to all three of these deserving men for a job well-done.
The final highlight of the evening was the presentation of the “Trooper Brandon Peterson Hero Award.” This first-time award was in memory of Trooper Peterson who lost his life in 2017. 1st Sergeant Rowan and his troopers were the recipients of this prestigious award representing the sincere heartfelt compassion of an officer and his team during difficult times for the family of a lost one as well as the perpetrator.
It is very humbling for MADD of Henderson, as young as we are as an organization, to have the honor of such caring troopers at our fingertips. Thank you, 1st Sgt. Rowan, for your sincere dedication and compassion, as well as that of your troopers. It is an honor for me and our team of volunteers to initiate this program, to support you, your men and all law enforcement officers in our city and county that selflessly make the effort to keep our travels safe.
Connect With The Author
- Durham Arrested on Drug, Stolen Vehicle Charges - March 20, 2019
- Vance Co. Schools: Raven Burns Named New Family & Parent Liaison - March 20, 2019
- ACTS of Henderson in Need of Several Food Items - March 20, 2019
- Oxford’s Personnel Committee to Discuss Health Insurance Renewal - March 20, 2019
- Henderson Collegiate’s Season ‘Indescribable;’ Heartbreaking Championship Loss - March 19, 2019
- Vehicle B&E: Thorpe Apprehended on First Night of ‘Covert Equipment’ Deployment - March 19, 2019
- Reminder: The McKameys to Perform at McGregor Hall This Friday! - March 19, 2019
- C.G. Credle Third Grader Wins Second Annual GCPS District Spelling Bee - March 19, 2019
- National Social Worker Month: Recognizing Those With ‘A Need to Serve’ - March 19, 2019
- Complete Warrenton’s Bicycle-Pedestrian Plan Survey for a Chance to Win $50! - March 19, 2019