— submitted by Lorraine Watkins, MADD President
MADD’S HIGHEST HONORS BESTOWED
ON NC HIGHWAY PATROL
TROOP C DISTRICT 4
MADD’S 2017 Annual Awards Banquet was held Thursday, April 5th in Cary, North Carolina. Vance, Franklin and Warren counties “Troop C District 4,” led by 1st Sergeant Jeff Rowan, had three troopers to receive the highest honors for the number of arrests made for keeping our highways safe from drunk and impaired drivers. Flanked by the Governor’s Highway Safety Program Director Mark Ezzell, Col. Glen M. McNeill, State Highway Patrol Commander, a judge, district attorneys, lawyers as well as state police officers, sheriff’s and deputies and other state highway patrol officers, the “2017 Enforcer Award” was presented to three of our troopers: Trooper Joseph Thomas, 154 arrests; Trooper Joshua Southerland, 128 arrests; and Trooper Eugene Burrell, 122 arrests. These troopers will tell you it’s not about numbers but saving innocent lives from being ripped from families by senseless acts of an impaired individuals. Our sincere congratulations to all three of these deserving men for a job well-done.
The final highlight of the evening was the presentation of the “Trooper Brandon Peterson Hero Award.” This first-time award was in memory of Trooper Peterson who lost his life in 2017. 1st Sergeant Rowan and his troopers were the recipients of this prestigious award representing the sincere heartfelt compassion of an officer and his team during difficult times for the family of a lost one as well as the perpetrator.
It is very humbling for MADD of Henderson, as young as we are as an organization, to have the honor of such caring troopers at our fingertips. Thank you, 1st Sgt. Rowan, for your sincere dedication and compassion, as well as that of your troopers. It is an honor for me and our team of volunteers to initiate this program, to support you, your men and all law enforcement officers in our city and county that selflessly make the effort to keep our travels safe.
Connect With The Author
- Community Leaders Visit Vance Co. Public Schools During ‘Community to Schools’ Event - December 11, 2018
- Duke Energy Down to Fewer Than 30 Outages in Aftermath of Winter Storm Diego - December 11, 2018
- Reverse Raffle Raises $6,000 for ‘Shop With A Cop’ Event - December 11, 2018
- Watkins Volunteer Fire Depart.’s Pancake Dinner to Benefit Raegan Owen - December 11, 2018
- Gospel Singing & Free Giveaways at Victory Road Baptist’s Pre-Christmas Celebration - December 11, 2018
- Perry Memorial Library Adding New Programs to Winter Youth Lineup - December 10, 2018
- Grace Ministries Now Accepting New & Gently Used Items for Toy Drive - December 10, 2018
- Save the Date: MADD to Hold Next Meeting Jan. 22; Volunteers Needed - December 10, 2018
- Duke Energy Outage & Safety Info - December 9, 2018
- State of Emergency Declared for Vance County; Area Braces for Inclement Weather - December 7, 2018