— submitted by Lorraine Watkins, MADD President
MADD’S HIGHEST HONORS BESTOWED
ON NC HIGHWAY PATROL
TROOP C DISTRICT 4
MADD’S 2017 Annual Awards Banquet was held Thursday, April 5th in Cary, North Carolina. Vance, Franklin and Warren counties “Troop C District 4,” led by 1st Sergeant Jeff Rowan, had three troopers to receive the highest honors for the number of arrests made for keeping our highways safe from drunk and impaired drivers. Flanked by the Governor’s Highway Safety Program Director Mark Ezzell, Col. Glen M. McNeill, State Highway Patrol Commander, a judge, district attorneys, lawyers as well as state police officers, sheriff’s and deputies and other state highway patrol officers, the “2017 Enforcer Award” was presented to three of our troopers: Trooper Joseph Thomas, 154 arrests; Trooper Joshua Southerland, 128 arrests; and Trooper Eugene Burrell, 122 arrests. These troopers will tell you it’s not about numbers but saving innocent lives from being ripped from families by senseless acts of an impaired individuals. Our sincere congratulations to all three of these deserving men for a job well-done.
The final highlight of the evening was the presentation of the “Trooper Brandon Peterson Hero Award.” This first-time award was in memory of Trooper Peterson who lost his life in 2017. 1st Sergeant Rowan and his troopers were the recipients of this prestigious award representing the sincere heartfelt compassion of an officer and his team during difficult times for the family of a lost one as well as the perpetrator.
It is very humbling for MADD of Henderson, as young as we are as an organization, to have the honor of such caring troopers at our fingertips. Thank you, 1st Sgt. Rowan, for your sincere dedication and compassion, as well as that of your troopers. It is an honor for me and our team of volunteers to initiate this program, to support you, your men and all law enforcement officers in our city and county that selflessly make the effort to keep our travels safe.
Connect With The Author
- Granville Co. Provides Relief to Hurricane Victims, First Responders - September 21, 2018
- ‘Stars of the Grand Ole Opry’ to Delight Country Music Fans - September 21, 2018
- Vance Co. Republican Party to Hold “Get Out The Vote” Rally at Pool Rock - September 21, 2018
- Granville Co. Candidate Forum Scheduled for Oct. 2 - September 21, 2018
- Granville Co. Board of Education to Meet for Work Session – Thurs., Sept. 27 - September 21, 2018
- Drug Activity Complaints Lead to Arrest of Franklin Co. Man - September 21, 2018
- Vance Co. Animal Services Recipient of $7K+ Spay/Neuter Grant - September 20, 2018
- Red Cross: Blood, Platelet Donations Needed in Wake of Florence - September 20, 2018
- ‘Laugh It Up!’ Comedy Show to Entertain at McGregor Hall - September 20, 2018
- ‘A Dash of Hope’ 5K Run/Walk to Raise Funds for Community Partners of Hope - September 20, 2018