RALEIGH – A joint North Carolina-Virginia marijuana eradication operation July 25-26 yielded more than 800 plants seized in Granville, Vance and Warren counties. Two stolen vehicles were recovered as well. On the north side of the state line, the Virginia State Police seized 25 plants and 20 guns. Charges are pending on one individual.
North Carolina’s State Bureau of Investigation and the Virginia State Police coordinated the multi-agency operation that took place along the border of the two states.
“The partnerships we have at the state and local level and with our partners to the north made this operation successful,” said Lynn Gay, assistant special agent in charge of the SBI’s Capitol District. “No one agency brought more to the table than another. It was a group effort, and everyone’s input helped achieve our goal of putting illegal growers out of business.”
The N.C. State Highway Patrol, the N.C. National Guard and the SBI provided aerial surveillance. Other participants included the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission and the sheriffs’ offices from the three counties.
“In my years of being with the Virginia State Police, I have never seen a joint eradication operation between the two state bureaus to include local departments on both sides of the state line,” said Fst. Sgt. Tony Barksdale of the Virginia State Police. “I deem the operation a success and praise the efforts put forth by all agencies involved.”
“The season is not over for the Marijuana Eradication Program,” Gay said. “We have agents trained to spot grow operations from the air and we will be back.”
Connect With The Author
- School Resource Officer Under Investigation for Assault on VCMS Student - December 13, 2019
- McGregor Hall to Transform Into Christmas Wonderland for Holiday Spectacular - December 13, 2019
- Vance Co. Schools Holds ‘Community to Schools’ Tour - December 13, 2019
- VGCC’s Kenneth Wilson Receives Glen Raven Award - December 13, 2019
- Take the ‘Polar Plunge’ For Vance Co. Special Olympics - December 13, 2019
- Mark Your 2020 Calendars for the New Horizons Baptist Stew Sale! - December 13, 2019
- Vance Co. Sheriff’s Office Seeking Info. on I-85 Shooting - December 12, 2019
- Vance Co. Board of Commissioners Select New Chair, Vice Chair - December 12, 2019
- Baskerville Funeral Home Invites Community to ‘Service of Remembrance’ - December 12, 2019
- Two Arrested, 484 Grams of Cocaine Seized in Multi-Agency Drug Investigation - December 12, 2019