-Information courtesy Henderson-Vance County Emergency Operations
THIS WEEK IS NORTH CAROLINA’S HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS WEEK
All week long, the National Weather Service has issued informative messages to help you prepare for the hurricane season. Today’s topic, the final in the series for this year’s hurricane preparedness week, is complete your written hurricane plan.
The time to prepare for a hurricane is before the season begins – when you have the time and are not under pressure. If you wait until a hurricane is on your doorstep, the odds are that you will be under duress and will make the wrong decisions. Take the time now to write down your hurricane plan. Know where you will ride out the storm and get your supplies now. You don’t want to be standing in long lines when a hurricane warning is issued. Those supplies that you need will probably be sold out by the time you reach the front of the line.
Being prepared, before a hurricane threatens, makes you resilient to the hurricane impacts of wind and water. It will mean the difference between being a hurricane victim and a hurricane survivor.
Here are some things to know about completing a written hurricane plan:
• Writing down your plan will ensure you don’t make mistakes when faced with an emergency.
• Document all of your valuables and possessions with a camera or video camera well before the storm.
• Gather all vital documents, like passports and medical records, and put them somewhere that you can quickly access.
• Make planning and preparedness a family affair to ensure everyone knows what to do.
• Don’t forget to include your pets in your plan.
• Every plan should include gathering non-perishable emergency supplies and assembling a disaster supply kit.
• Share your plan with others in your family, and have an out-of-state friend as a family contact who knows your plan and where you will go during a disaster, so all your family members have a single point of contact.
To make developing your family emergency plan easy, be sure to download a free template that is available online at http://readync.org.
For more information about hurricane preparedness, please visit the following web sites:
Connect With The Author
- BoE Announces Henderson Candidates; Filing Extended for 3rd Ward - July 19, 2019
- Town of Kittrell, Middleburg Nov. Election Candidates Announced - July 19, 2019
- State Cabinet Secretary Visits VGCC - July 19, 2019
- Granville Co. Board of Election Releases Candidate Names - July 19, 2019
- VCSO: Silver Alert Issued for Robert Lewis Rogers - July 19, 2019
- Vance Co. Properties, Water Committee to Meet July 22 - July 19, 2019
- Deported Alien, Previously Found in Granville Co., Charged With Illegal Reentry - July 19, 2019
- Granville Board of Education to Meet in Closed Session - July 19, 2019
- Vance County Schools Announces Leadership Changes - July 18, 2019
- High School Students Explore Medical Science at VGCC South Campus - July 18, 2019