-Information courtesy Henderson-Vance County Emergency Operations
THIS WEEK IS NORTH CAROLINA’S HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS WEEK
All week long, the National Weather Service has issued informative messages to help you prepare for the hurricane season. Today’s topic, the final in the series for this year’s hurricane preparedness week, is complete your written hurricane plan.
The time to prepare for a hurricane is before the season begins – when you have the time and are not under pressure. If you wait until a hurricane is on your doorstep, the odds are that you will be under duress and will make the wrong decisions. Take the time now to write down your hurricane plan. Know where you will ride out the storm and get your supplies now. You don’t want to be standing in long lines when a hurricane warning is issued. Those supplies that you need will probably be sold out by the time you reach the front of the line.
Being prepared, before a hurricane threatens, makes you resilient to the hurricane impacts of wind and water. It will mean the difference between being a hurricane victim and a hurricane survivor.
Here are some things to know about completing a written hurricane plan:
• Writing down your plan will ensure you don’t make mistakes when faced with an emergency.
• Document all of your valuables and possessions with a camera or video camera well before the storm.
• Gather all vital documents, like passports and medical records, and put them somewhere that you can quickly access.
• Make planning and preparedness a family affair to ensure everyone knows what to do.
• Don’t forget to include your pets in your plan.
• Every plan should include gathering non-perishable emergency supplies and assembling a disaster supply kit.
• Share your plan with others in your family, and have an out-of-state friend as a family contact who knows your plan and where you will go during a disaster, so all your family members have a single point of contact.
To make developing your family emergency plan easy, be sure to download a free template that is available online at http://readync.org.
For more information about hurricane preparedness, please visit the following web sites:
Connect With The Author
- Vance Co. Sheriff’s Office Makes Arrests in Heroin Trafficking Cases - May 22, 2019
- Location Change for Vance Public Safety Meeting on Fire Matters - May 22, 2019
- Granville Athletic Park Reaches 15-Year Milestone - May 22, 2019
- Local Youth Ages 4-12 Needed for Competitive Football League - May 22, 2019
- Perry Memorial Library Gearing Up for Youth Summer Reading Program - May 21, 2019
- State Vet Encourages Livestock Owners to Vaccinate Before Peak Rabies Season - May 21, 2019
- H-V Rec. & Parks Youth Cheerleading Registration Begins June 3 - May 21, 2019
- VGCC Graduates 15 Cadets in 108th Basic Law Enforcement Training Class - May 20, 2019
- City of Henderson Announces Memorial Day Sanitation Schedule - May 20, 2019
- Dedication Ceremonies Being Held for New Dog Park, Renamed Rollins Ave. Park - May 20, 2019