-Press Release, Vance-Granville Community College
Vance-Granville Community College will hold commencement exercises dedicated exclusively to new graduates of Adult Basic Skills programs on Thursday, May 2, 2019.
The ceremony will begin at 6 p.m. in the Civic Center on the college’s Main Campus in Vance County. Those being honored will include students who have completed either the Adult High School Diploma program or the High School Equivalency program in the past year.
Rev. Dannie T. Williams, a longtime leader in education, will deliver the principal commencement address. Williams is a Franklin County native and a GED High School Equivalency graduate himself. He went on to graduate from Shaw University with a B.A. in Criminal Justice, along with a minor in Sociology and Public Administration, from Christian Bible College in Rocky Mount with a Master of Theology, and from North Carolina State University with both a Master’s in School Administration and an Ed.S. in School Supervision and Administration.
Most recently, he has completed all required coursework for his doctoral degree (Ed.D.) and is currently working on his dissertation.
Williams has had numerous experiences in the field of public education. He began his career as a teacher assistant/bus driver. After receiving his Lateral Entry teacher certification, he taught the subjects of Social Studies, Science, Mathematics and English, and served at times as a basketball coach and coordinator of character education. He has served as a member of the Board of Education in Franklin County.
In administration, he was an assistant principal, principal, executive director for human resources and auxiliary services and is currently the chief of human resources with the Franklin County Schools.
In addition, Williams is a Christian educator. He served as the Minister for Church Life and Education for the Southern Conference, United Church of Christ (UCC), and currently is the President of the Board of Directors of the Southern Conference, UCC. He has been the Senior Pastor and Teacher of the Melfield UCC in Haw River, N.C., for 23 years and has over 43 years of ministry experience.
Speaking on behalf of the graduating students during the ceremony will be Rev. Roberta Egerton of Louisburg. She completed her High School Equivalency earlier this year after attending classes on VGCC’s Franklin County Campus. She is also a Monmouth Bible Institute graduate and an ordained Baptist minister.
Egerton has enrolled in curriculum classes at VGCC with plans to obtain an Associate’s Degree in Nursing.
Connect With The Author
- Henderson Residents Part of Large-Scale Money Laundering, Stolen Goods Case - June 20, 2019
- Vance Co. Regional Farmers Market Set for Business After Hours Event - June 20, 2019
- St. Andrews Presbyterian to Hold Yard Sale in New Pavilion - June 20, 2019
- Granville Co. Board of Education to Hold Special Work Session – June 25 - June 20, 2019
- Greater New Life Ministries of Franklinton to Celebrate Second Anniversary - June 20, 2019
- City Urges Residents to Complete Online Litter Survey - June 19, 2019
- Classic Car Cruise-In to Feature Announcer Mike Joy, Music Legend Jackie Gore - June 19, 2019
- Vance Co. Schools Provides Free Summer Meals for Local Children - June 19, 2019
- Granville County JCPC Recognizes Beeler For Years of Service - June 19, 2019
- City of Oxford Seeking Downtown, Historical Pictures - June 19, 2019