Vance-Granville Community College will hold a “Manufacturing Day” celebration on Thursday, Oct. 5, from 8:30 to 11:15 a.m. and 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., in the Civic Center on the college’s Main Campus in Vance County. Job seekers and students are invited to attend and to learn more about manufacturing and related careers.
Local manufacturers and equipment vendors will provide demonstrations and information highlighting their products and their employment opportunities. Attendees will learn about career options in the region’s industries and the technical skills required to succeed in such careers.
Participants are set to include Altec of Creedmoor, Boise Cascade of Roxboro, Glen Raven of Norlina, Mars Petcare of Henderson, CertainTeed of Oxford and Carolina Sunrock of Butner, among others.
Representatives of VGCC technical programs, including those that provide education and training related to advanced manufacturing, will also be on hand. These include curriculum programs in Air Conditioning, Heating & Refrigeration Technology, Automotive Systems Technology, Electronics Engineering Technology, Mechatronics Engineering Technology and Welding Technology. VGCC’s Admissions and Financial Aid departments will also have representatives there. Attendees will also be able to learn about the North Carolina Triangle Apprenticeship Program (NCTAP), a four-year program that leads to a student obtaining an associate degree at a community college and paid, on-the-job training at a participating employer.
Event organizers hope to develop a pipeline of highly trained and skilled employees. “VGCC and industry partners are working together to address the skills gap, connect with future generations, and educate them about the outstanding opportunities that manufacturing careers can provide,” said Ken Wilson, project manager for the TechHire grant at VGCC, which supports advanced manufacturing training and information technology training.
The VGCC event is one of many across the country celebrating National Manufacturing Day (also known as “MFG Day”). The annual observance was established by the Fabricators & Manufacturers Association, International (FMA), the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM), the Manufacturing Institute (MI), and the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s (NIST) Hollings Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP).
For more information, contact VGCC Academic & Career Coach Tiffani Polk at [email protected] or (252) 738-3291.
Connect With The Author
- School Resource Officer Under Investigation for Assault on VCMS Student - December 13, 2019
- McGregor Hall to Transform Into Christmas Wonderland for Holiday Spectacular - December 13, 2019
- Vance Co. Schools Holds ‘Community to Schools’ Tour - December 13, 2019
- VGCC’s Kenneth Wilson Receives Glen Raven Award - December 13, 2019
- Take the ‘Polar Plunge’ For Vance Co. Special Olympics - December 13, 2019
- Mark Your 2020 Calendars for the New Horizons Baptist Stew Sale! - December 13, 2019
- Vance Co. Sheriff’s Office Seeking Info. on I-85 Shooting - December 12, 2019
- Vance Co. Board of Commissioners Select New Chair, Vice Chair - December 12, 2019
- Baskerville Funeral Home Invites Community to ‘Service of Remembrance’ - December 12, 2019
- Two Arrested, 484 Grams of Cocaine Seized in Multi-Agency Drug Investigation - December 12, 2019