— courtesy VGCC
The Vance-Granville Community College Alpha Sigma Chi chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society recently brought home several awards from a regional gathering.
Attending the Phi Theta Kappa Carolinas Regional Convention in Myrtle Beach, S.C., March 9-11, were VGCC chapter President Brenda Ellis of Durham, chapter Vice President of Leadership Pamela Campbell of Littleton and chapter advisor Maureen Walters, who teaches English at the college. The Carolinas Region includes 84 Phi Theta Kappa chapters at two-year colleges in North Carolina and South Carolina. Students and advisors at the convention enjoyed a variety of educational seminars, guest speakers, social activities, elections of regional officers and award presentations.
VGCC received three awards of excellence. The chapter was presented with the Carolinas Region service project award for outstanding participation in a “Carolinas Read to Succeed” project, which in VGCC’s case was an effort to collect school supplies and books for children in grades K-12 who are affected by domestic violence.
VGCC was further recognized as a “three-star” level chapter for its community service, the involvement of its members and its efforts at leadership development. Alpha Sigma Chi was one of only two three-star chapters recognized this year in the Carolinas.
Finally, chapter advisor Maureen Walters received the “Horizon Award” for her work in developing the chapter and demonstrating dedication to the mission of Phi Theta Kappa. “Not only did we have a great time at the convention, but we also put VGCC on the map for Phi Theta Kappa,” Walters said, regarding the three honors.
Phi Theta Kappa is the international honor society for students of two-year colleges. VGCC students honored with induction into PTK must have a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.5 in associate degree curriculum programs and have completed at least 12 credit hours toward their degrees. Since VGCC’s chapter of PTK was chartered in 1991, more than 1,900 students have joined. For more information, contact Maureen Walters at 252-738-3406 or [email protected]
Connect With The Author
- Take Back North Carolina Initiative Press Conf - April 25, 2018
- Current Tradio Items - April 25, 2018
- Current Public Service Announcements - April 24, 2018
- Candidates Forum for May 8, 2018 Primary (Audio) - April 23, 2018
- NVHS Seniors Honored for Job Internships - April 20, 2018
- Henderson City Council Committee Meetings 4-24-18 - April 20, 2018
- Diverse Healthcare Leader To Speak To Students, Public On April 24 - April 20, 2018
- Franklin County Early College High School Hosting Blood Drive April 26 - April 20, 2018
- Plymouth Robbery Results in Federal Prison Time for Butner Man - April 19, 2018
- Vance County Regional Farmers Market Opens Sat. (WOW!!!) - April 19, 2018