100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
Tara Goolsby, facilities supervisor, and Shantel Hargrove, youth services outreach administrator, with the Henderson-Vance Recreation and Parks Department were the guests of honor on Tuesday’s edition of WIZS’ Town Talk.
In recognition of October as Domestic Violence Awareness Month, WIZS continues to feature local organizations each Tuesday for on-air discussions of this prevalent type of abuse that affects all genders, races, religions and socioeconomic classes.
This week’s segment focused on the prevention of domestic violence situations through youth outreach.
Goolsby and Hargrove discussed the various youth services offered by the H-V Rec. Department, including Teen Court for older youth, and Project Youth Outreach for elementary and middle school children.
Teen Court is a program for first-time offenders – typically between the ages of 11-17 – run by teenagers who serve as the defense, prosecution, jury and bailiff. Licensed judges and lawyers preside over the cases.
Teens are sent to the court for offenses such as fighting at school and will maintain a clean record if sanctions imposed by the court, such as community service, are completed.
Teen Court meets the first and third Tuesday of the month at the Vance County Courthouse.
Project Youth Outreach is an in-school program offered to fourth and fifth-grade students at L.B. Yancey Elementary, Carver Elementary and E.O. Young Elementary School. Services are also offered to sixth and seventh-grade students at Vance County Middle School. An eighth-grade after school program is also in the works.
Representatives meet with students once a week during their special electives time to work on areas such as self-confidence, good hygiene, bullying and character-building.
These outreach programs aim, in part, to prevent youth from becoming either a victim or a perpetrator of domestic violence.
To hear the interview in its entirety, including more information on upcoming events for youth, please click the play button below. Listen live to WIZS’ Town Talk Monday-Friday at 11 a.m. on 1450AM, 100.1 FM or online at www.wizs.com.
Connect With The Author
- Town Talk 11/12/19: Sadie’s Coffee Corner Open for Business in Downtown Henderson! - November 12, 2019
- Salvation Army’s Lt. Smith Talks ‘Phenomenal’ Grand Opening of New Building - November 12, 2019
- Town Talk 11/11/19: Upcoming Veterans Dog Walk ‘Therapeutic’ for Dogs, Participants - November 11, 2019
- Town Talk 11/07/19: Demolition Begins on Maria Parham’s New $3.2 Million Cath Lab - November 7, 2019
- Town Talk 11/06/19: Grace Ministries Seeks to Feed 6,000 for Thanksgiving - November 6, 2019
- Town Talk 11/05/19: Downtown Henderson Continues on Path to Main Street Status - November 5, 2019
- Town Talk 11/04/19: VGCC President Talks Reorganization, Power of Partnerships - November 4, 2019
- Town Talk 10/30/19: Tourism Director Talks Halloween Fun in Granville - October 30, 2019
- Town Talk 10/29/19: Infinite Possibilities Offers Local Help to Domestic Violence Victims - October 29, 2019
- Town Talk 10/28/19: Praise Dancing Part of ‘Preacher Girl’s’ Spiritual Mission - October 28, 2019