100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
Captain Lee Edmonds with the Henderson Fire Department was on Thursday’s edition of WIZS’ Town Talk program to discuss the upcoming Fire Prevention Day to be held this Saturday, October 12, 2019.
This free event will be held on Breckenridge Street between the Henderson Police Department and the Perry Memorial Library in downtown Henderson from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Activities include fire truck demonstrations, a smoke safety house, games for kids, fire safety information and a cooking fire demonstration.
Free pizza, hotdogs and refreshments will be served; everyone is invited.
“This is similar to the annual Night Out Against Crime event with more of a focus on fire-related issues,” explained Edmonds. “We want to promote fire safety to both children and adults, present ways to prevent fires in your home and demonstrate how to avoid injury if there is a fire.”
Edmonds said the smoke safety house will help children learn how to properly escape a home if a fire breaks out.
Fire department staff will also demonstrate the proper, and improper, way to put out a cooking fire involving grease. “We will demonstrate what happens when you throw water on a grease fire; it’s a big no-no,” Edmonds said. “Those two do not mix.”
The event coincides with National Fire Prevention Week that runs October 6 through October 12. This year’s National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) theme is: “Not every hero wears a cape – plan and practice your escape.”
To hear Edmond’s Town Talk interview in its entirety, including additional fire safety tips, please click the play button below. Listen live to WIZS’ Town Talk Monday-Friday at 11 a.m. on 1450AM, 100.1 FM or online at www.wizs.com.
Connect With The Author
- Town Talk 10/14/19: Local Airport’s Military Show Kicks Off Veterans Day Observances - October 14, 2019
- Town Talk 10/10/19: HFD’s Fire Prevention Day to Feature Smoke House, Free Food - October 10, 2019
- Town Talk 10/09/19: Ellington, Owens & Spriggs Comment on Election Results - October 9, 2019
- Town Talk 10/08/19: Vance Co. Sheriff’s Office Reports 1,300+ Domestic Calls - October 8, 2019
- Town Talk 10/07/19: Granville’s Fall Season Full of Festivals, Farms, Shows & More - October 7, 2019
- Town Talk 10/03/19: Edwards Discusses Medicare/Affordable Care Open Enrollment - October 3, 2019
- Town Talk 10/01/19: Vance Co. DSS Announces Domestic Violence Awareness Events - October 1, 2019
- Town Talk 09/30/19: Code Enforcement, Public Safety on Incumbent Mayor’s Agenda - September 30, 2019
- HPD Chief Credits Agency Cooperation, Public’s Help With Drug Arrests - September 27, 2019
- Town Talk 09/25/19: Police, Jobs Key to City’s Future Says Mayoral Candidate Owens - September 25, 2019