100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
It’s officially football season, and WIZS has you covered locally with “Vance County Friday Night Football” live every Friday evening on 1450AM, 100.1 FM, and via live stream at www.wizs.com. Coverage begins at 6:45 p.m.; kickoff and play-by-play coverage begin at 7 p.m.
Also, be sure to tune-in to WIZS’ weekly Coach’s Corner Show each Friday at 1 p.m. This week, to kick off the season, the Coach’s Corner will originate live from Citizens Pub and Grill in downtown Henderson.
WIZS’ own John Charles Rose and Trey Snide were on Tuesday’s edition of Town Talk to provide an overview of the Vance County High School Vipers’ second overall athletic season and first season as part of the Big Eight 3A Conference.
Playing in their first game this Friday evening, August 23, 2019, the Vipers take on the Bunn Wildcats at home. The Vipers finished with a 4 – 7 record in their first season of play as a combined high school last year.
The first four games of the season are nonconference matches; conference play in the Big Eight 3A begins with a game against the Chapel Hill Tigers on September 27.
The final game of the regular season is scheduled at home against the Cedar Ridge Red Wolves on November 8.
The Vipers will also face the East Chapel Hill Wildcats, Southern Durham Spartans, Orange Panthers, Northern Durham Knights and Northwood Chargers in conference play.
Snide, who enters his third year covering Friday Night Football for WIZS, said Vipers Coach Darry Ragland is excited about this season, especially quarterback Samein Burwell.
“This is the first year Burwell has had a complete off-season and workout program,” said Snide. “In the sixth, seventh or eighth game of the regular season, that’s when Burwell finally had a full year under his belt under the brand new offense the Vipers were bringing with Coach Ragland.”
Snide said Ragland has expressed “excitement about Burwell’s potential” and hopes to improve on last year’s record of 1,800 passing yards, 17 passing touchdowns and 18 interceptions.
On the Wildcats end, second-year Bunn Head Football Coach Bradley Murphy spoke with Snide and said the Vipers can expect his team to bring “hustle and effort” to Friday’s match.
“We are going to come and give our best effort and best hustle on and off the field,” Murphy said. “I tell my boys all the time if they give their best, I’ll be proud of them at the end of the game regardless of the final score.”
Snide said the outcome of this first game, along with additional nonconference games scheduled against the Warren County Eagles, J.F. Webb Warriors and Roanoke Rapids Yellow Jackets, will set the tone for the Viper’s season.
“We are going to see what this team is all about, especially in the first four games leading up to the Big Eight Conference. These are teams we should be able to handle pretty well if the offense and defense can play on the same playing field,” Snide said.
Snide and WIZS’ other “colorful” cast of Vance County Friday Night Football announcers are looking forward to rooting on the Vipers this season. In fact, Rose said he can document coverage of what is now known as Vance County Friday Night Football back to at least 50 of the station’s 64 years on the airwaves.
“None of this is about us, however,” said Rose. “This is about the school, this is about Vance County, this is about the listenership, but most important, this is about the student-athletes. WIZS cannot wait to highlight the student-athletes – the quarterbacks, the defensive players, as well as the coaches and assistant coaches.”
To hear the Vance County Friday Night Football Town Talk discussion in its entirety, please click the play button below. Listen live to WIZS’ Town Talk Monday-Friday at 11 a.m. on 1450AM, 100.1 FM or online at www.wizs.com.
Connect With The Author
- Spring is Coming! Vance Co. Regional Farmers Market Announces 2020 Opening Day - February 21, 2020
- Town Talk 02/20/20: Hopper Discusses McGregor Hall’s Municipal Funding Request - February 20, 2020
- Town Talk 02/19/20: Free Mobile Pharmacy Coming to Henderson; Volunteers Needed - February 19, 2020
- Town Talk 02/18/20: Daeke Discusses Potential McGregor Hall Funding - February 18, 2020
- Town Talk 02/17/20: Jones’ Sunday Morning Motivation on WIZS Encourages, Uplifts - February 17, 2020
- Town Talk 02/13/20: Henderson Throws Hat in the Ring of HGTV’s ‘Home Town Takeover’ - February 13, 2020
- Town Talk 02/12/20: Lower ISO Ratings = Savings for Homeowners, Businesses - February 12, 2020
- Town Talk 02/11/20: Celebrate ‘New Orleans Style’ at BGC’s Mardi Gras Bash - February 11, 2020
- Town Talk 02/06/20: Linda Cobb, District 5 School Board Incumbent, On-Air - February 6, 2020
- Town Talk 02/04/20: Jobs, Removing Barriers Focus of Desmarais’ First Year - February 4, 2020