THIS STORY IS PRESENTED IN PART BY DRAKE DENTISTRY
Dr. Stephen Pearson, co-owner and operator of Sadie’s Coffee Corner in downtown Henderson, appeared on WIZS Town Talk Thursday at 11 a.m.
Pearson, who teaches classes online at UNC-Chapel Hill and Utica College, and holds a Doctorate in Business Administration with a specialization in global business organization leadership, provided tips for working efficiently from home.
With many employees temporarily working remotely due to coronavirus-related business closures, Pearson’s advice is especially timely.
While working from home may seem exciting or “like a vacation” at first, Pearson said the biggest challenges in successfully making the transition are the distractions that are created by other family members, other home-based duties and social media.
“One of the biggest impediments of working from home is home life itself,” said Pearson. “There are a lot of distractions that take you away from the workplace.”
One way to keep yourself in the work mindset while at home is to stick with your normal “getting ready for work” routine. “I always tell people if you are going to work from home, treat it as a workday,” explained Pearson. “You get up, you shower, you shave, you eat breakfast, and then you go into an isolated area where you can shut the door and put a sign up that says ‘at work’ so that you aren’t distracted by the family.”
Pearson said this model will work more effectively if you discuss the need for privacy, take breaks throughout the day to interact with your family and leave your workspace at your usual stopping time.
On the other end of the spectrum, Pearson agreed it can be just as difficult for some employees to shut off work for the day while working from home. “Again, it’s all about the mindset. You have to make that mental transition between work and play.”
The bottom line, according to Pearson, is to “remember you are at work and have an obligation to your employer. Give them what they pay for and provide them with the service you would provide at the office.”
To hear the interview with Pearson in its entirety, go to WIZS.com and click on Town Talk.
Connect With The Author
- Town Talk 04/02/20: NCAFP’s Greg Griggs Discusses Coronavirus Challenges - April 2, 2020
- Town Talk 04/01/20: Pearson Addresses Importance of Online Security, Avoiding Scams - April 1, 2020
- Town Talk 03/31/20: VGCC Small Business Director Discusses SBA Loans, Webinars - March 31, 2020
- Town Talk 03/26/20: Dr. Stephen Pearson Provides Tips on Working From Home - March 26, 2020
- Town Talk 03/25/20: Sheriff, Police Chief Discuss Procedures, Coronavirus Reaction - March 25, 2020
- Town Talk 03/24/20: Mayor Ellington Provides Henderson COVID-19 Updates - March 24, 2020
- H-V Chamber, Economic Development & Partners Support Local Small Businesses - March 23, 2020
- Henderson Men’s Shelter ‘Running Smoothly’ As Season Comes to a Close - March 18, 2020
- Town Talk 03/12/20: Fourth Annual VCS Arts Alive! to Showcase Student Talent - March 12, 2020
- Town Talk 03/11/20: Relay For Life Quarter Auction, Survivor Dinner - March 11, 2020