THIS STORY IS PRESENTED IN PART BY DRAKE DENTISTRY
Jason Spriggs, Henderson City Councilman, appeared on WIZS Town Talk Thursday at 11 a.m.
Spriggs announced that Henderson has thrown its proverbial hat in the ring of HGTV’s nationwide ‘Home Town Takeover’ contest. In this series set to air in 2021, husband-and-wife team Ben and Erin Napier will lead a group of renovation pros as they give selected small towns a “whole-town overhaul.”
According to the HGTV website, any citizen of a small town (considered a population of 40,000 or less) could “show, tell and sell” HGTV on why their town deserves to be featured in the six-part series. Applicants were encouraged to focus on unique aspects of their town, including historical homes/buildings, vintage architecture and downtown appeal.
The citizens of the selected towns will see the revitalization of individual family homes, public spaces and outdoor recreation areas, according to HGTV.
Learning about the contest from a friend, Spriggs said he was encouraged to work with other Henderson residents and business owners to create a video demonstrating the city’s historical background and charm.
The approximately three-minute video, narrated by Spriggs, features homes from the late 1880s and early 1900s, the historic downtown fire station built in 1908 and various downtown buildings. Henderson residents and business owners including Sara Coffey, mayor pro tem, Samantha Hill Reavis of Hill’s Music Shoppe and Amanda Pearson, co-owner of Sadie’s Coffee Corner also appear in the video.
“It’s been a great time to get together with people in the community and get some excitement and support behind doing something positive for the city,” said Spriggs.
Submissions were due to HGTV by February 4 and, according to the website, are currently under review. A date for notification of final selection status is unknown at this time. Spriggs said he would keep the community updated on any additional information on the project.
“We have a beautiful town, with beautiful homes,” Spriggs said. “We just need some more support to get [revitalization] projects done. We appreciate Ben, Erin and HGTV’s consideration.”
To see the submitted video, please visit the Citizens Aligned to Take Back Henderson, NC’s Facebook page (click here). Citizens Aligned is a group started in 2015 by Henderson residents looking to bring positive change to the community.
To hear the interview with Spriggs in its entirety, go to WIZS.com and click on Town Talk.
Connect With The Author
- Town Talk 02/17/20: Jones’ Sunday Morning Motivation on WIZS Encourages, Uplifts - February 17, 2020
- Town Talk 02/13/20: Henderson Throws Hat in the Ring of HGTV’s ‘Home Town Takeover’ - February 13, 2020
- Town Talk 02/12/20: Lower ISO Ratings = Savings for Homeowners, Businesses - February 12, 2020
- Town Talk 02/11/20: Celebrate ‘New Orleans Style’ at BGC’s Mardi Gras Bash - February 11, 2020
- Town Talk 02/06/20: Linda Cobb, District 5 School Board Incumbent, On-Air - February 6, 2020
- Town Talk 02/04/20: Jobs, Removing Barriers Focus of Desmarais’ First Year - February 4, 2020
- District Court Judge Asks Voters to ‘Keep Katherine Burnette’ - January 31, 2020
- Attorney Brian Cloninger Challenges Burnette for District Court Judge - January 31, 2020
- Town Talk 01/30/20: First Aid & CPR Save Lives When Minutes Matter - January 30, 2020
- Mast Drug Holds Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony at New Dabney Dr. Location - January 29, 2020