100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
-Press Release, Granville County Government
The Richard H. Thornton Library will host a book discussion and book signing by award-winning author Wiley Cash at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, July 17, 2019.
Cash is a New York Times bestselling novelist who has penned several works, including ‘A Land More Kind Than Home’ and ‘This Dark Road to Mercy.’
His newest book ‘The Last Ballad,’ is set in 1929 in the Appalachian foothills of North Carolina. Considered to be a “moving tale of courage in the face of oppression,” Cash’s newest work tells the story of a single mother’s struggle for her rights in a textile mill, which is inspired by actual events.
The Minnesota Star-Tribune calls this latest work “powerful and poignant… Cash’s third and best novel,” while the Library Journal calls Cash “a promising young voice in southern fiction.”
Cash serves as the writer-in-residence at the University of North Carolina-Asheville and teaches in the Mountainview Low-Residency MFA (Master of Fine Arts) program. He is co-founder of the Land-More-Kind Artists Residency and is founder of the Open Canon Book Club.
A graduate of the University of North Carolina-Asheville and the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, the author resides in North Carolina with his wife and two young daughters.
This event is free and open to the public.
The Richard H. Thornton Library is located at 210 Main Street in Oxford and is one of four branches of the Granville County Library System. Other branches are located in Creedmoor (South Branch), Stovall and Berea.
For more details about this event and other scheduled library programs, call 919-693-1121 or visit https://granville.lib.nc.us/.
Connect With The Author
- BoE Announces Henderson Candidates; Filing Extended for 3rd Ward - July 19, 2019
- Town of Kittrell, Middleburg Nov. Election Candidates Announced - July 19, 2019
- State Cabinet Secretary Visits VGCC - July 19, 2019
- Granville Co. Board of Election Releases Candidate Names - July 19, 2019
- VCSO: Silver Alert Issued for Robert Lewis Rogers - July 19, 2019
- Vance Co. Properties, Water Committee to Meet July 22 - July 19, 2019
- Deported Alien, Previously Found in Granville Co., Charged With Illegal Reentry - July 19, 2019
- Granville Board of Education to Meet in Closed Session - July 19, 2019
- Vance County Schools Announces Leadership Changes - July 18, 2019
- High School Students Explore Medical Science at VGCC South Campus - July 18, 2019