100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
-Information courtesy Paul McKenzie, Agricultural Extension Agent, NC Cooperative Extension
Raising produce in high tunnels (essentially a greenhouse heated only by the sun) offers many advantages over field production, such as extending the growing season and providing better control over growing conditions. However, it also adds to the complexity for growers. Farmers and others who would like to learn more about them are invited to a two-part learning opportunity.
Part one is an evening workshop on Thursday, September 26 at the NC Cooperative Extension office in Warrenton. The workshop starts at 4 p.m. with an outdoor demonstration showing the principles of high tunnel construction.
Following the demonstration, there will be two classroom presentations addressing high tunnel management and funding options. Our special guest presenters include Dr. Sanjun Gu, Extension Specialist from NC A&T State University and Jerome Evans of USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service. A catered meal will be served.
Part two is a tour of local farms that have high tunnels in use. The tour will take place on Saturday, September 28, and will feature stops at two farms (one in Franklin County, another in Vance). The tour will convene at 8 a.m. at the NC Cooperative Extension office in Warrenton, returning by 12:30 p.m. Snacks will be provided, and the first 20 registrants will have the option to ride in provided transportation.
Registration is required for these free events, and participants may register for one or both parts. Get all the details including a downloadable flyer and on-line registration form by clicking here or call 252-257-3640.
This learning opportunity is made possible thanks to the generous support of AgCarolina Farm Credit.
Connect With The Author
- Henderson’s First Biscuitville to Open on Dabney Dr. Thurs., Feb. 20 - February 14, 2020
- Kittrell Food Mart Struck by Armed Robber Twice; Suspect Charged - February 14, 2020
- Reminder: Focus 20/20 Regional Economic Development Summit – Feb. 20 - February 14, 2020
- Triangle North Healthcare Foundation 2020 Grant Cycle is Now Open - February 14, 2020
- Granville Board of Commissioners to Meet Mon., Feb. 17 - February 14, 2020
- Granville School Board to Interview District 5 Candidates at Special Meeting - February 14, 2020
- Mark Your Calendars: Granville Co. Activities Feb. 17 – March 2 - February 14, 2020
- Vance Commissioners to Hold Special Meeting on Industrial Park Contract - February 13, 2020
- Kittrell Man Sentenced to More Than Six Years on Drug, Gun Charges - February 13, 2020
- Harvey Recognized by NC Governor - February 13, 2020