Incumbent Mayor Eddie Ellington won re-election in Tuesday’s non-partisan City of Henderson municipal election. He earned 652 total votes to 568 votes from challenger Sharon Owens.
Just 12.60% of voters turned out.
Jason Spriggs defeated incumbent George Daye for City of Henderson Alderman At-Large 4th Ward by a final, unofficial count of 637 to 509.
Ellington told WIZS News that he plans to continue to work on the positive growth he’s seen in Henderson over the last 12 to 18 months and indicated the biggest thing now for the City is to find the next City Manager, of which the manager is the one who deals with the day-to-day running of the City. Ellington said he wanted to work towards positive growth for all of the City and its citizens.
Of the four larger precincts in Henderson, Owens carried the north, south and east, while Ellington won re-election behind a large margin of victory in west Henderson.
Owens thanked her supporters, said it would not be the last she was heard from, and said she would have more time for civics in Henderson just as soon as she retired. She spoke of getting more involved and holding those in office more accountable.
Spriggs spoke to WIZS News and talked about seeing positive economic growth in additional areas in the City, whereas a lot of growth has already occurred along Dabney Drive and to the west. He spoke in an excited and enthusiastic voice and expressed appreciation toward George Daye, who has worked with Spriggs in the past and encouraged him about running for the City Council.
Daye could not be reached for comment on election night but previously said on WIZS “TownTalk” that he hoped Spriggs would win to see some younger blood on the council.
Connect With The Author
- Current Public Service Announcements - October 14, 2019
- Current Tradio Items - October 14, 2019
- Silver Alert – Robert Duke Miles, Jr. - October 11, 2019
- Mayor Ellington Re-elected; Spriggs Unseats Daye on Council - October 8, 2019
- Local Noon News 10/07/19 - October 7, 2019
- Brian Short Named NCAPCO Director of the Year - September 18, 2019
- Storm and Emergency Info and MUSIC - September 5, 2019
- Triangle North Industrial Park Selected for Site Visit - August 27, 2019
- WIZS Celebration; 3p-7p, Saturday; Ribeyes of Hend; Rick Strickland Band Live - August 14, 2019
- Town Talk 08/12/19 - August 12, 2019