Harvey Holmes, family caregiver specialist, and Laura Yeatts, aging projects coordinator, with the Kerr-Tar Area Agency on Aging, were on Thursday’s edition of WIZS’ Town Talk program to discuss the organization’s upcoming Kerr Lake Caregiver Retreat.
The retreat will be held on Kerr Lake at Satterwhite Point, 6254 Satterwhite Point Rd. in Henderson, on Friday, June 7, 2019, from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m.
According to Holmes, the retreat is a chance for family caregivers in the Vance, Granville, Warren, Franklin and Person County areas to enjoy soothing activities, including chair yoga exercises, games, painting and more.
“Caregivers tend to be some of the most overwhelmed and overburdened individuals in the world,” said Holmes. “This retreat gives them a much-needed break from the stress of their caregiving duties.”
There is no cost to attend the retreat. Lunch and on-site respite care will be provided. Participants are asked to dress comfortably as it is an interactive, outdoor event.
Registration is required by Friday, May 31. To register, please call Holmes at (252) 436-2040 or email [email protected].
In discussing the pressure that caregivers often face, Holmes cited an AARP Public Policy Institute report that indicated the average US caregiver is a 49-year-old woman who works outside the home and spends an additional 20 hours per week in her caregiving role – the equivalent of an additional part-time job.
Holmes mentioned former first lady Rosalynn Carter’s famous quote about caregiving in order to sum up the importance of the role: “There are only four kinds of people in the world: those who have been caregivers, those who are currently caregivers, those who will be caregivers, and those who will need caregivers.”
To hear the Town Talk interview with Harvey Holmes and Laura Yeatts in its entirety, including additional Kerr-Tar Agency on Aging updates and upcoming events, click here.
Connect With The Author
- Town Talk 09/12/19: Frazier Provides City Council Sept. Meeting Highlights - September 12, 2019
- Three Performances Already Sold Out for SHPHC’s Christmas Dinner Theatre! - September 12, 2019
- Town Talk 09/09/19: Restaurant 39 Holds Free Appreciation Breakfast - September 9, 2019
- Town Talk 09/05/19: H-V Crime Stoppers to Hold 24th Annual Banquet - September 5, 2019
- Town Talk 09/04/19: State Tourism Campaign to Feature Oxford Hot Sauce Contest - September 4, 2019
- Town Talk 09/03/19: 10th Annual Ducky Derby to Feature Festival-Like Atmosphere - September 3, 2019
- Town Talk 08/29/19: Medicaid Deadline Approaches, DSS Adds Evening Info. Session - August 29, 2019
- Town Talk 08/28/19: Community Events Show Law Enforcement in ‘Different Light’ - August 28, 2019
- Town Talk 08/27/19: Oxford’s Huntsboro Hemp Company Discusses CBD - August 27, 2019
- Town Talk 08/26/19: VGCC’s Continuing Education Provides Skilled Local Workforce - August 26, 2019