-Press Release, Vance County Schools
Vance County Schools has named First United Methodist Church of Henderson as its most outstanding business partner for the 2018-2019 school year and the recipient of the school system’s Shining Moment in Education Award.
This is the 17th year the school system has presented the award.
Additional nominees this year for the award were Clearview Baptist Church, I Believe God Outreach Church, Henderson Toyota and South Henderson Pentecostal Holiness Church.
The church received the award based on its multi-faceted partnership with Pinkston Street Elementary School and Dabney Elementary School.
Jack Richardson, a leader of the church and valuable school volunteer, accepted the award during the Henderson-Vance Chamber of Commerce Annual Banquet on January 31, in the Civic Center at Vance-Granville Community College. Presenting the crystal award on behalf of the school system were Dorothy Gooche, chairwoman of the Vance County Board of Education, Principal Jacqueline Batchelor-Crosson of Pinkston Street Elementary School, and Principal Michael Putney of Dabney Elementary School.
First United Methodist Church has continued an amazing partnership each school year with Pinkston Street and Dabney elementary schools for more than 10 years.
Each year, church members volunteer in the two schools as mentors and tutors for students, Lunch Buddies, classroom helpers and Prayer Partners for staff members. The church also supplies on a weekly basis nonperishable food items for the Backpack Buddies program so that students can take the food items home over weekends and holiday breaks to have something to eat while they are away from school.
Church members do even more by adopting families at Christmas who otherwise would go without gifts and needed food. The church supports families in the schools who may need warm clothing during the cold weather months with new pairs of shoes or new student uniforms.
The congregation’s support meets a wide range of needs including providing appreciation meals for staff members at Dabney and Pinkston Street during the year. Their efforts truly make the school’s staff members feel supported and appreciated!
First United Methodist Church is the first repeat winner of this prestigious award. The church first won the Shining Moment award as the school system’s top business partner for the 2008-2009 school year.
Connect With The Author
- VGCC Holds Convocation, Recognizes Employees’ Years of Service - August 20, 2019
- Downtown Oxford Set for ‘Cruise-In’ and ‘Movie Under the Stars’ - August 20, 2019
- Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist to Host Choir Day 2019 - August 20, 2019
- Is Your Small Business Prepared for a Disaster? Find Out at ‘Lunch Break to Educate’ - August 19, 2019
- City Council to Consider Contracting With Firm in Manager Hiring Process - August 19, 2019
- Granville Co. Senior Services Now Affiliated With ‘Rock Steady Boxing’ - August 19, 2019
- Carolina Panthers’ Backup Quarterbacks Fail to Impress in Preseason Matchup - August 19, 2019
- VGCC’s 50th Anniversary Celebration to Include Food Truck Rodeo, Live Music - August 16, 2019
- Henderson/Vance Annual Night Out Against Crime Scheduled for Oct. 1 - August 16, 2019
- Concord Baptist Church in Kittrell to Hold Women’s Conference - August 16, 2019