-Press Release, City of Henderson
The City of Henderson’s Sewer Collection System bypassed approximately 968,000 gallons of untreated water starting May 7, 2018, due to a fallen tree and other debris dislodging the existing sanitary sewer on piers across the creek. This occurred on the Red Bud Outfall to the west of Tiny Broadwick Boulevard and Oxford Road (Hwy 158 Business).
After locating the problem, pumps were set up to begin pumping the spill back into the sewer system and approximately 202,500 gallons of affected creek water was pumped back into the sanitary sewer system. Also, hydrogen peroxide was added to the creek to help mitigate any negative environmental effects of the untreated water that entered the creek.
Upstream and downstream samples were taken to monitor the stream for oxygen levels and other measures; however, at this time there has been no indication of any fish kills or harmful effects to other wildlife, The State has been notified and they are investigating.
North Carolina General Statutes article 21 chapter 143.215.1c requires a press release for all bypasses of 1,000 gallons or more than enter surface waters.
Questions concerning this matter should be directed to Public Works ORC Joey Long, Jr. at (252) 226-4492 or Andy Perkinson (252) 431-6117.
Connect With The Author
- Vance County High School Vipers Fall 41-22 To Franklinton - August 18, 2018
- Attacker in Vance Co. Stabbing Incident Quickly Apprehended - August 17, 2018
- Vance Co. High School Invites Community to Open House – Thurs., Aug. 23 - August 17, 2018
- Granville Co. Board of Education’s Aug. Meeting to Focus on Declining Enrollment - August 17, 2018
- Lots of Good ‘Grub’ at the Vance Co. Regional Farmers Market This Weekend - August 17, 2018
- Aycock Rec. Center Offering Fast-Track Swim Lessons for Ages 3 – Adult - August 17, 2018
- Oxford Public Works Meeting for Mon., Aug. 20 – CANCELED - August 17, 2018
- Louws Charged With First & Second Degree Exploitation of a Minor - August 17, 2018
- Wilson Re-Elected President of Rebuilding Hope, Inc. - August 16, 2018
- Free Lunch & Hands-On Learning at Carlee Farm Lunch & Learn Event - August 16, 2018