-Press Release, City of Henderson
The City of Henderson’s Sewer Collection System bypassed approximately 968,000 gallons of untreated water starting May 7, 2018, due to a fallen tree and other debris dislodging the existing sanitary sewer on piers across the creek. This occurred on the Red Bud Outfall to the west of Tiny Broadwick Boulevard and Oxford Road (Hwy 158 Business).
After locating the problem, pumps were set up to begin pumping the spill back into the sewer system and approximately 202,500 gallons of affected creek water was pumped back into the sanitary sewer system. Also, hydrogen peroxide was added to the creek to help mitigate any negative environmental effects of the untreated water that entered the creek.
Upstream and downstream samples were taken to monitor the stream for oxygen levels and other measures; however, at this time there has been no indication of any fish kills or harmful effects to other wildlife, The State has been notified and they are investigating.
North Carolina General Statutes article 21 chapter 143.215.1c requires a press release for all bypasses of 1,000 gallons or more than enter surface waters.
Questions concerning this matter should be directed to Public Works ORC Joey Long, Jr. at (252) 226-4492 or Andy Perkinson (252) 431-6117.
Connect With The Author
- Cocaine, Heroin Among Drugs Seized at State St. Residence - January 16, 2019
- VCHS to Hold Information Session for Freshmen & Their Parents - January 16, 2019
- Motor Vehicle Break-In at Davis Chapel Baptist Church - January 16, 2019
- Granville Co. Library System to Forgive Library Fees, Fines - January 16, 2019
- Govt. Shutdown Prompts Vance Co. Schools to Reduce Lunch Menu Offerings - January 15, 2019
- Registration Underway for 9th Annual Warrenton Junior Firefighter Competition - January 15, 2019
- NCDHHS to Offer Free Residential Testing Kits in Honor of Radon Action Month - January 15, 2019
- The Platters to Perform at McGregor Hall – Jan. 26 - January 15, 2019
- Upcoming Winter/Spring Events at Aycock Rec. Center - January 15, 2019
- DWI Suspected in Wreck Involving Henderson Police Car, Two Other Vehicles - January 14, 2019