-Press Release, Vance County Schools
Selvaraj Arulappan, an Exceptional Children’s teacher at Vance County High School, was chosen as the Vance County Schools’ Exceptional Children’s Educator of Excellence for 2018-2019.
With his award, Arulappan represented our school system in the N.C. Exceptional Children’s Educator of Excellence Award competition at the state level and attended the N.C. Department of Public Instruction’s 68th Conference on Exceptional Children held in Greensboro November 15-16.
Arulappan has 13 years of experience as an educator and is a leader among his peers at Vance County High School. He received his master’s degree in special education from N.C. Central University.
He has a passion for working with students who are intellectually, physically and behaviorally challenged. He also is very successful in engaging and connecting with students.
He is a leader in the classroom and serves in multiple roles at Vance County High including on the Leadership Team, as a PBIS Committee member and a vocational rehabilitation counselor. He also collaborates with the music therapy and art staff to provide diverse experiences for his students. His colleagues describe him as caring, compassionate, supportive, proactive, dedicated and engaging.
“Mr. Arulappan has done such amazing work serving his students in preparation for transition into life after high school,” one colleague said.
Another colleague noted, “Mr. Arulappan stands out above others with his ability to engage and connect with students. He actively engages the parents in meeting the educational needs of their children.”
Several educators who work with him said that Arulappan goes beyond the call of duty to support his students and colleagues.
Connect With The Author
- Help Needed in Identifying F-150 Involved in Vance Construction Theft - December 14, 2018
- NC General Assembly Approves Deadline Extension for Agricultural Disaster Program - December 14, 2018
- Elevated Flood Risk for All of Central NC Through Early Next Week - December 14, 2018
- H-V Chamber & VGCC Partner to Present WOVEN – Networking Opportunities for Women - December 14, 2018
- Vance Co. Deputies Arrest Four on Charges of Narcotics Sales & Use - December 13, 2018
- Calling All Emerging Community Leaders: Time to Apply for Leadership Vance 2019 - December 13, 2018
- Public Hearing on Possible Middle School Consolidation Slated for Dec. 18 - December 13, 2018
- Woman Wanted for Questioning in Nans Lane Break-In - December 13, 2018
- Back by Popular Demand: Masters of Soul to Return to McGregor Hall - December 13, 2018
- Vance Co. Sheriff’s Office Locates, Arrests Six Local Absconders - December 12, 2018