-Press Release, Vance County Schools
Selvaraj Arulappan, an Exceptional Children’s teacher at Vance County High School, was chosen as the Vance County Schools’ Exceptional Children’s Educator of Excellence for 2018-2019.
With his award, Arulappan represented our school system in the N.C. Exceptional Children’s Educator of Excellence Award competition at the state level and attended the N.C. Department of Public Instruction’s 68th Conference on Exceptional Children held in Greensboro November 15-16.
Arulappan has 13 years of experience as an educator and is a leader among his peers at Vance County High School. He received his master’s degree in special education from N.C. Central University.
He has a passion for working with students who are intellectually, physically and behaviorally challenged. He also is very successful in engaging and connecting with students.
He is a leader in the classroom and serves in multiple roles at Vance County High including on the Leadership Team, as a PBIS Committee member and a vocational rehabilitation counselor. He also collaborates with the music therapy and art staff to provide diverse experiences for his students. His colleagues describe him as caring, compassionate, supportive, proactive, dedicated and engaging.
“Mr. Arulappan has done such amazing work serving his students in preparation for transition into life after high school,” one colleague said.
Another colleague noted, “Mr. Arulappan stands out above others with his ability to engage and connect with students. He actively engages the parents in meeting the educational needs of their children.”
Several educators who work with him said that Arulappan goes beyond the call of duty to support his students and colleagues.
Connect With The Author
- VGCC President, Student Leader Celebrate College’s 50th Graduating Class - May 24, 2019
- Vance Co. Early College High School Graduates 33 Seniors - May 24, 2019
- Creedmoor Man Sentenced to 27 Years on Child Pornography Charges - May 24, 2019
- Opening/Dedication of VCRFM’s Memorial Garden Scheduled for June 12 - May 24, 2019
- Michael East Confirmed as US Marshal for NC’s Eastern District - May 24, 2019
- Aycock Rec. Center Offering High Energy Aerobics Class - May 24, 2019
- New Covenant Christian Center Looking for a Music Minister, Keyboard Player - May 24, 2019
- Warren Co. to Hold ‘Listening Session’ on Mental Health, Substance Misuse - May 24, 2019
- Dabney Drive Drug Arrest Made on Youngsville Man - May 23, 2019
- Durham Woman Sentenced for Heroin Distribution in Henderson - May 23, 2019