-Press Release, Vance County Schools
Selvaraj Arulappan, an Exceptional Children’s teacher at Vance County High School, was chosen as the Vance County Schools’ Exceptional Children’s Educator of Excellence for 2018-2019.
With his award, Arulappan represented our school system in the N.C. Exceptional Children’s Educator of Excellence Award competition at the state level and attended the N.C. Department of Public Instruction’s 68th Conference on Exceptional Children held in Greensboro November 15-16.
Arulappan has 13 years of experience as an educator and is a leader among his peers at Vance County High School. He received his master’s degree in special education from N.C. Central University.
He has a passion for working with students who are intellectually, physically and behaviorally challenged. He also is very successful in engaging and connecting with students.
He is a leader in the classroom and serves in multiple roles at Vance County High including on the Leadership Team, as a PBIS Committee member and a vocational rehabilitation counselor. He also collaborates with the music therapy and art staff to provide diverse experiences for his students. His colleagues describe him as caring, compassionate, supportive, proactive, dedicated and engaging.
“Mr. Arulappan has done such amazing work serving his students in preparation for transition into life after high school,” one colleague said.
Another colleague noted, “Mr. Arulappan stands out above others with his ability to engage and connect with students. He actively engages the parents in meeting the educational needs of their children.”
Several educators who work with him said that Arulappan goes beyond the call of duty to support his students and colleagues.
Connect With The Author
- VCSO: Silver Alert Issued for Robert Lewis Rogers - July 19, 2019
- Vance County Schools Announces Leadership Changes - July 18, 2019
- High School Students Explore Medical Science at VGCC South Campus - July 18, 2019
- Dangerous Heat Continues Through Weekend for Central NC - July 18, 2019
- Greater Union Grove Church Invites Public to ‘Making a Spiritual Cake’ Program - July 18, 2019
- DOA Secretary to Present Report on Women’s Health at VGCC - July 17, 2019
- Mark Your Calendar: MPH to Hold ‘Fun & Famous’ $5 Sale - July 17, 2019
- Granville Chamber, Health System to Welcome New Teachers - July 17, 2019
- Dog Lost in I-85 Car Accident Safely Returned to Owner! - July 17, 2019
- Mount Olive Missionary Baptist to Hold VBS - July 17, 2019