-Press Release, Vance County Schools
Selvaraj Arulappan, an Exceptional Children’s teacher at Vance County High School, was chosen as the Vance County Schools’ Exceptional Children’s Educator of Excellence for 2018-2019.
With his award, Arulappan represented our school system in the N.C. Exceptional Children’s Educator of Excellence Award competition at the state level and attended the N.C. Department of Public Instruction’s 68th Conference on Exceptional Children held in Greensboro November 15-16.
Arulappan has 13 years of experience as an educator and is a leader among his peers at Vance County High School. He received his master’s degree in special education from N.C. Central University.
He has a passion for working with students who are intellectually, physically and behaviorally challenged. He also is very successful in engaging and connecting with students.
He is a leader in the classroom and serves in multiple roles at Vance County High including on the Leadership Team, as a PBIS Committee member and a vocational rehabilitation counselor. He also collaborates with the music therapy and art staff to provide diverse experiences for his students. His colleagues describe him as caring, compassionate, supportive, proactive, dedicated and engaging.
“Mr. Arulappan has done such amazing work serving his students in preparation for transition into life after high school,” one colleague said.
Another colleague noted, “Mr. Arulappan stands out above others with his ability to engage and connect with students. He actively engages the parents in meeting the educational needs of their children.”
Several educators who work with him said that Arulappan goes beyond the call of duty to support his students and colleagues.
Connect With The Author
- Second Suspect in Kittrell Food Mart Armed Robbery Arrested - February 21, 2020
- FREE Henderson Junior Firefighter Program Open to First 15 Participants - February 21, 2020
- MPH Relay For Life Team to Hold Quarter Auction, March Madness Buffet - February 21, 2020
- Granville Co. Activities: Feb. 22 – Feb. 29 - February 21, 2020
- Granville Chamber’s ‘Cluck ‘N Shuck’ Seafood Event Rescheduled for April - February 20, 2020
- Plank Chapel UMC Hosting Resources Brunch, Caregiving Discussion - February 20, 2020
- Henderson City Council to Hold Annual Strategic Planning Retreat - February 20, 2020
- Big Ruin Creek Baptist Church to Hold 220 Seafood Fundraiser - February 20, 2020
- Closings and Weather 02/20 – 02/21 - February 20, 2020
- George R. Watkins Receives United Way’s Sam Watkins Visionary Award - February 19, 2020