Henderson Fire Department personnel responded to a fire at 520 Whitten Avenue at approximately 9:40 a.m. on Tuesday morning. Though firefighters were quickly able to control the blaze, the rental property, valued at $21,400, was declared a total loss.
According to Henderson Fire Chief Steve Cordell, the fire was caused by improper use of drop cords.
Deadra Fuller of Henderson was reported to have rented the property from owner Larry Richardson.
Both Fuller and daughter Erin Fowler were forced to escape the home through a bedroom window, said Cordell. Fowler sustained minor injuries to her leg and foot and received medical attention on the scene.
The 16 members of the Henderson Fire Department on the scene were assisted by three personnel from the Vance County Fire Department, two personnel from Vance County EMS and two personnel with the Vance County Air Truck.
Connect With The Author
- Help Needed in Identifying F-150 Involved in Vance Construction Theft - December 14, 2018
- NC General Assembly Approves Deadline Extension for Agricultural Disaster Program - December 14, 2018
- Elevated Flood Risk for All of Central NC Through Early Next Week - December 14, 2018
- H-V Chamber & VGCC Partner to Present WOVEN – Networking Opportunities for Women - December 14, 2018
- Vance Co. Deputies Arrest Four on Charges of Narcotics Sales & Use - December 13, 2018
- Calling All Emerging Community Leaders: Time to Apply for Leadership Vance 2019 - December 13, 2018
- Public Hearing on Possible Middle School Consolidation Slated for Dec. 18 - December 13, 2018
- Woman Wanted for Questioning in Nans Lane Break-In - December 13, 2018
- Back by Popular Demand: Masters of Soul to Return to McGregor Hall - December 13, 2018
- Vance Co. Sheriff’s Office Locates, Arrests Six Local Absconders - December 12, 2018