-Press Release, Granville County Government
Sam Upchurch, Paul Staley and Dave Pavlus were singled out as a group/team to receive Volunteer Service Awards in the categories of “Beautification” and “County Heritage” for their work with the Tar River Land Conservancy (TRLC). The team devoted many hours of service to TRLC through the construction of hiking trails on the TRLC’s Ledge Creek Forest Conservation Area – located near the town of Stem – which will be open in the near future.
Recognition was also given for their efforts in maintaining three miles of trails that opened to the public in 2017. This maintenance entailed clearing trails of limbs and trees following storms, using hand and power tools to keep trails free of brush and grass and picking up litter. The team also helped build new trails by clearing land, removing stumps and obstacles and helping with the construction of wooden bridges.
“Cumulatively, these three men have devoted approximately 320 hours of service to TRLC over the previous 12-month period,” said TRLC Executive Director Derek Halberg in his nomination form. “Their attitudes and hard work have set examples for many other volunteers who have participated.”
Other volunteers who have been mentored by Upchurch, Staley and Pavlus in this project include students, retirees and Scouts who have also devoted time and efforts to help maintain and build new trails at the Ledge Creek Forest Conservation Area.
Commissioner Tim Karan made the official presentation at the Feb. 4 meeting of the Board of Commissioners.
Connect With The Author
- Education Veteran to Address VGCC Basic Skills Grads - April 23, 2019
- Let’s End School Bullying! ‘Stop Bullying for Jacob’ Forum – May 6 - April 23, 2019
- Kerr Lake Park Watch: Upcoming 2019 Fishing Tournaments - April 23, 2019
- ‘A Tribute to Sammy Davis, Jr.’ by David Hayes Coming to McGregor Hall - April 23, 2019
- Franklin Co. Sheriff’s Office Arrests Accused Sex Offender - April 23, 2019
- Oxford Public Safety Committee to Discuss Parking, U-Turns – April 25 - April 23, 2019
- Reminder: Vance Co. Hazardous Waste Collection & Recycling Event Next Sat.! - April 19, 2019
- Vance Co. Regional Farmers Market to Open Season With Spring Fling - April 19, 2019
- VGCC Names 134 Students to Fall Semester Dean’s List - April 19, 2019
- Kerr Lake Country Club to Celebrate 55 Years With ‘Business After Hours’ - April 19, 2019