-Press Release, Granville County Government
Sam Upchurch, Paul Staley and Dave Pavlus were singled out as a group/team to receive Volunteer Service Awards in the categories of “Beautification” and “County Heritage” for their work with the Tar River Land Conservancy (TRLC). The team devoted many hours of service to TRLC through the construction of hiking trails on the TRLC’s Ledge Creek Forest Conservation Area – located near the town of Stem – which will be open in the near future.
Recognition was also given for their efforts in maintaining three miles of trails that opened to the public in 2017. This maintenance entailed clearing trails of limbs and trees following storms, using hand and power tools to keep trails free of brush and grass and picking up litter. The team also helped build new trails by clearing land, removing stumps and obstacles and helping with the construction of wooden bridges.
“Cumulatively, these three men have devoted approximately 320 hours of service to TRLC over the previous 12-month period,” said TRLC Executive Director Derek Halberg in his nomination form. “Their attitudes and hard work have set examples for many other volunteers who have participated.”
Other volunteers who have been mentored by Upchurch, Staley and Pavlus in this project include students, retirees and Scouts who have also devoted time and efforts to help maintain and build new trails at the Ledge Creek Forest Conservation Area.
Commissioner Tim Karan made the official presentation at the Feb. 4 meeting of the Board of Commissioners.
Connect With The Author
- VGCC Holds Convocation, Recognizes Employees’ Years of Service - August 20, 2019
- Downtown Oxford Set for ‘Cruise-In’ and ‘Movie Under the Stars’ - August 20, 2019
- Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist to Host Choir Day 2019 - August 20, 2019
- Is Your Small Business Prepared for a Disaster? Find Out at ‘Lunch Break to Educate’ - August 19, 2019
- City Council to Consider Contracting With Firm in Manager Hiring Process - August 19, 2019
- Granville Co. Senior Services Now Affiliated With ‘Rock Steady Boxing’ - August 19, 2019
- Carolina Panthers’ Backup Quarterbacks Fail to Impress in Preseason Matchup - August 19, 2019
- VGCC’s 50th Anniversary Celebration to Include Food Truck Rodeo, Live Music - August 16, 2019
- Henderson/Vance Annual Night Out Against Crime Scheduled for Oct. 1 - August 16, 2019
- Concord Baptist Church in Kittrell to Hold Women’s Conference - August 16, 2019