-Press Release, Granville County Government
Sam Upchurch, Paul Staley and Dave Pavlus were singled out as a group/team to receive Volunteer Service Awards in the categories of “Beautification” and “County Heritage” for their work with the Tar River Land Conservancy (TRLC). The team devoted many hours of service to TRLC through the construction of hiking trails on the TRLC’s Ledge Creek Forest Conservation Area – located near the town of Stem – which will be open in the near future.
Recognition was also given for their efforts in maintaining three miles of trails that opened to the public in 2017. This maintenance entailed clearing trails of limbs and trees following storms, using hand and power tools to keep trails free of brush and grass and picking up litter. The team also helped build new trails by clearing land, removing stumps and obstacles and helping with the construction of wooden bridges.
“Cumulatively, these three men have devoted approximately 320 hours of service to TRLC over the previous 12-month period,” said TRLC Executive Director Derek Halberg in his nomination form. “Their attitudes and hard work have set examples for many other volunteers who have participated.”
Other volunteers who have been mentored by Upchurch, Staley and Pavlus in this project include students, retirees and Scouts who have also devoted time and efforts to help maintain and build new trails at the Ledge Creek Forest Conservation Area.
Commissioner Tim Karan made the official presentation at the Feb. 4 meeting of the Board of Commissioners.
Connect With The Author
- Eastern N.C. Attorney’s Office Collects Over $13 Million in Civil/Criminal Actions - February 18, 2019
- Granville Co. Public Schools: ‘It’s Kindergarten Registration Time’ - February 18, 2019
- Annual Mardi Gras Bash to Benefit Boys & Girls Club – Feb. 23 - February 18, 2019
- Sheriff Curtis Brame to Serve as Keynote Speaker at Black History Program - February 18, 2019
- Harrington Charged With Triple Homicide in 2018 Harrell St. Murders - February 15, 2019
- Public Comment Opportunity for NCDOT Division 5 Projects - February 15, 2019
- Aycock Rec. Center Announces Spring 2019 Swim Lesson Schedule - February 15, 2019
- Maloney Named New Branch Manager at Thornton Library - February 15, 2019
- Warren Co. High School to Hold ‘Around the World’ International Fair - February 15, 2019
- Vance Co. Schools Recognizes Student Spotlight Recipients - February 14, 2019