‘Tis the season for Christmas parades, chats with Santa, and holiday shopping. Granville County is gearing up for events all across the county, and Granville Tourism Director Angela Allen said there’s something for everyone, from Creedmoor to Grassy Creek and everywhere in between.
Allen spoke with John C. Rose and Bill Harris on Wednesday’s Town Talk and rattled off a list of events sure to keep folks entertained while getting into the Christmas spirit.
Here’s a rundown of activities and events:
- Nov. 19-20 – 12 noon to 6 p.m. – The Barn at Vino will host Jimbo’s Fall Backyard Barbecue Competition fundraiser to benefit Wreaths Across America. The competition features 25 teams that will be vying for top honors in grilling chicken, ribs and more. Visit The Barn at Vino’s Facebook page or Eventbrite page to register to be a people’s choice judge. There will be music and entertainment throughout the day.
- Harvest, a farm-to-table restaurant in Oxford, is taking orders for Thanksgiving. From whole meals to individual items to take home and bake or to reheat, visit the restaurant’s Facebook page or find it on Instagram to place orders by Nov. 19
- Strong Arm Baking in downtown Oxford is taking orders through this weekend for pickup next week or arrange for a porch drop.
- Saturday, Nov. 20 – Falls Lake Academy vendor fair from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Saturday, Nov. 20 – Carolina Cotton in downtown Creedmoor will host a holiday Sip and Shop. 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Drinks, snacks, door busters and door prizes offered.
- Friday, Dec. 3 – Lighting of the Greens in Oxford at 6:45 p.m. followed by Oxford Christmas parade at 7 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 3 – Christmas in the Park, town of Butner. Children can visit with Santa from 5:30 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. Christmas music will follow and the town’s Christmas tree will be officially lighted at 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 4 at 2 p.m. Butner Christmas parade
- Friday, Dec. 3 – City of Creedmoor’s tree lighting ceremony at 7 p.m. at the new community center. Student choirs will be performing and Santa will drop by.
- Saturday, Dec. 4 at 11 a.m. – Creedmoor Christmas parade
- Sunday, Dec. 5 – The Barn at Vino will host “Cocoa with Santa” from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Children will get a chance to take a photo with Santa, decorate Christmas cookies and more during this 4th annual event. Additional vendors will be on hand to add some holiday shopping opportunities.
- Saturday, Dec. 11 – Carlee Farms Holiday Market from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Santa and his elves will be at the market, along with more than 30 vendors in this fundraiser event to benefit the Stem Volunteer Fire Department and EMS. A silent auction and a toy drive are just some of the activities.
- Saturday, Dec. 11 at 2 p.m. – Grassy Creek Christmas parade
- Dec. 11 – 13 from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Delrayno Baptist Church’s annual live nativity called “Back to Bethlehem.” There is no cost to participate, but donations are accepted. Enter from Delacroix Street across from Granville Medical Center to begin the drive-through event.
- Saturday, Dec. 11 – The Orpheum in downtown Oxford is having a holiday gala to benefit the Masonic Home for Children in Oxford. Black tie and fancy dress is encourage for this event; a noted mixologist will be on hand to craft cocktails for this event.
- During the month of December, the Oxford Arts Center is having several classes for participants to create holiday décor. Visit their Facebook page and the Eventbrite page to learn more and to register.
The website visitgranvillenc.com has details about these events and more.