100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
Today’s edition of WIZS’ Town Talk was all about the 18th Annual Show, Shine, Shag & Dine being held Friday, October 18 and Saturday, October 19 in Historic Downtown Henderson.
Featuring 1988 and older antique cars, classic cars, nostalgia drag cars, muscle cars, street rods, rat rods and trucks over a ten-block area of Garnett Street, the show grows in popularity each year, bringing thousands of visitors – and tourism dollars – to the downtown area.
Weekend festivities also include car judging, live entertainment, specials offered by downtown merchants, food vendors, miscellaneous vendors and much more.
Garnett Street will be closed from Young Avenue to Andrews Avenue, including all side streets, beginning at 5 a.m. on Saturday.
2019 Show, Shine, Shag & Dine Schedule:
Friday, October 18
11 a.m. – 4 p.m. ~ Pre-show Cruise-in and BBQ cookout for $12 per plate. Meal served 12 – 2:30 p.m. Open to all makes and models 1988 and older and all spectators. Location: Satterwhite Point Park, Kerr Lake, I-85 – Exit 217.
5 – 9 p.m. ~ Southern Classic Cruise-in will be held at 117 Horner Street in downtown Henderson. A DJ will be spinning your favorite tunes from the past and Chick-fil-A will be on site. Cruise-in parking will be located in the 700 block of S. Garnett St. Head over to Citizen’s Grill & Pub located at 200 S. Garnett Street to hear the “Brake Tyme Band” perform from 6 to 10 p.m.
Saturday, October 19
7:30 – 11 a.m. ~ Car registration – enter from W. Winder Street. Open to all makes and models 1988 and older. Antique cars, classic cars, nostalgia drag cars, muscle cars, street rods, rat rods and trucks.
7:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. ~ MAIN EVENT – 18th Annual Show, Shine, Shag & Dine Car Show and East Coast Drag Times Hall of Fame. Live entertainment, kids’ entertainment, DJ, food, vendors, judging and award presentations on Garnett St. in downtown Henderson.
3 – 6 p.m. ~ The Henderson-Vance Chamber of Commerce and presenting sponsor Charles Boyd Chevrolet, Buick, GMC invite you to “The After Party” following the classic car show on Saturday. The party will be held at the corner of Breckenridge and Garnett St. “The Konnection Band” will keep the festivities going with a variety of music including Top 40, Rock, Country, R & B, Beach and Oldies.
The Corbitt Preservation Association will also host their annual Corbitt Truck Show and Reunion on Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. near the downtown fire station.
“Our club-owned, newly restored and driveable 1926 Corbitt Fire Truck with a restored crank siren will be a showpiece in front of the state’s oldest working fire station,” said board member Tom Burleson. “We are expecting to have 18 vehicles including trucks, a couple of rare tractors and our newest find – the body of a Corbitt automobile.”
One of only approximately 100 Corbitt-made automobiles manufactured from 1905 to 1912, Burleson said the “one-of-a-kind discovery goes toward our circle of finding products that this company made so many years ago right in downtown Henderson.”
Additionally, the Corbitt Museum will be open to visitors on Saturday. The museum is located at 180 Church Street in Henderson.
Show, Shine, Shag & Dine is hosted and sponsored by the Vance County Tourism Department. For more information, please visit www.kerrlake-nc.com or call 1-866-438-4565.
To hear the interview with Burleson and the Vance Co. Tourism Department in its entirety, please click the play button below. Listen live to WIZS’ Town Talk Monday-Friday at 11 a.m. on 1450AM, 100.1 FM or online at www.wizs.com.
Connect With The Author
- Town Talk 11/12/19: Sadie’s Coffee Corner Open for Business in Downtown Henderson! - November 12, 2019
- Salvation Army’s Lt. Smith Talks ‘Phenomenal’ Grand Opening of New Building - November 12, 2019
- Town Talk 11/11/19: Upcoming Veterans Dog Walk ‘Therapeutic’ for Dogs, Participants - November 11, 2019
- Town Talk 11/07/19: Demolition Begins on Maria Parham’s New $3.2 Million Cath Lab - November 7, 2019
- Town Talk 11/06/19: Grace Ministries Seeks to Feed 6,000 for Thanksgiving - November 6, 2019
- Town Talk 11/05/19: Downtown Henderson Continues on Path to Main Street Status - November 5, 2019
- Town Talk 11/04/19: VGCC President Talks Reorganization, Power of Partnerships - November 4, 2019
- Town Talk 10/30/19: Tourism Director Talks Halloween Fun in Granville - October 30, 2019
- Town Talk 10/29/19: Infinite Possibilities Offers Local Help to Domestic Violence Victims - October 29, 2019
- Town Talk 10/28/19: Praise Dancing Part of ‘Preacher Girl’s’ Spiritual Mission - October 28, 2019