100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
Sgt. Marti Stewart, with the Henderson Police Department, was on Wednesday’s edition of WIZS’ Town Talk to discuss local law enforcement’s participation in the annual “Cops on Top” fundraiser as well as Vance County’s observance of the National Night Out Against Crime.
Stewart said these and other such community events allow the public to see law enforcement outside of their traditional roles. “These events let people see us in a different light. We, in turn, get to meet people and participate in community events.”
Cops on Top
Chick-fil-A of Henderson, the Henderson Police Department, the Vance County Sheriff’s Office, WIZS 1450AM/100.1 FM and other community organizations will once again team up for the annual “Cops on Top” fundraiser for the Special Olympics of NC.
The event will be held at Chick-fil-A of Henderson on Thursday, September 5, 2019, from 6 a.m. until 5 p.m.
Officers and deputies will be collecting donations at the restaurant’s drive-through and side entrances. Money raised will cover the expenses Vance County athletes incur while participating in the Special Olympics.
“Look into your console, look into your dash where you throw change after paying for something. We’d appreciate it if you drop that spare change in the bucket for us,” said Stewart.
The event will also provide entertainment for families including a bouncy house in the Chick-fil-A parking lot and face painting courtesy BoHo the Clown with Character Antics.
Kids are sure to enjoy guest appearances by Henderson Fire Department’s Sparky the Fire Dog and the Chick-fil-A cow, along with a special guest appearance by Muddy the Mudcat from 3:30 until 4:30 p.m.
Stewart reiterated that all money raised goes directly to Special Olympics of NC and not law enforcement departments.
Night Out Against Crime
Vance County’s Annual Night Out Against Crime will be held Tuesday, October 1, 2019, from 5 until 8 p.m. in front of the Henderson Police Department on Breckenridge Street. In case of rain, the event will be held Tuesday, October 8.
Stewart encouraged the community to bring the family out for presentations and displays by the Henderson Police Department, Vance County Sheriff’s Office, Henderson-Vance Crime Stoppers, Henderson Fire Department, Vance County Fire and EMS, NC State Highway Patrol, Vance County Schools and many other agencies and organizations.
Bleachers will be set up for participants to enjoy performances by the Badd Boyz and Lady Badd Boyz Social Club of Henderson, line dancers, Ballet Arts Dance Studio, Midnight Blue Martial Arts, Vance County High School’s JV cheerleaders and South Henderson Pentecostal Holiness Church’s gospel group.
Free hotdogs will be served and bouncy houses and activities for children will be available.
To hear Stewart’s interview in its entirety, please click the play button below. Listen live to WIZS’ Town Talk Monday-Friday at 11 a.m. on 1450AM, 100.1 FM or online at www.wizs.com.
Connect With The Author
- Town Talk 10/14/19: Local Airport’s Military Show Kicks Off Veterans Day Observances - October 14, 2019
- Town Talk 10/10/19: HFD’s Fire Prevention Day to Feature Smoke House, Free Food - October 10, 2019
- Town Talk 10/09/19: Ellington, Owens & Spriggs Comment on Election Results - October 9, 2019
- Town Talk 10/08/19: Vance Co. Sheriff’s Office Reports 1,300+ Domestic Calls - October 8, 2019
- Town Talk 10/07/19: Granville’s Fall Season Full of Festivals, Farms, Shows & More - October 7, 2019
- Town Talk 10/03/19: Edwards Discusses Medicare/Affordable Care Open Enrollment - October 3, 2019
- Town Talk 10/01/19: Vance Co. DSS Announces Domestic Violence Awareness Events - October 1, 2019
- Town Talk 09/30/19: Code Enforcement, Public Safety on Incumbent Mayor’s Agenda - September 30, 2019
- HPD Chief Credits Agency Cooperation, Public’s Help With Drug Arrests - September 27, 2019
- Town Talk 09/25/19: Police, Jobs Key to City’s Future Says Mayoral Candidate Owens - September 25, 2019