100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
Vance County Department of Social Services’ Denita DeVega, director, and Goldie Davis, program administrator of economic services, were on Tuesday’s edition of WIZS’ Town Talk to discuss changes to Medicaid requirements.
As part of the first phase of the Medicaid Transformation, Vance County recipients must enroll in one of four State-approved health plans and select a primary care physician by Friday, September 13, 2019.
“The process for being eligible for Medicaid and maintaining Medicaid remains the same,” Davis said. “You will still go to your local DSS to apply for Medicaid, benefits will still be maintained at your local DSS and your questions can still be answered at DSS.”
Changes to Medicaid requirements will take effect on November 1, 2019.
Medicaid recipients who have not selected a health care plan by the September 13 deadline will have one chosen for them by the State, Davis reported.
According to a recent press release from DSS, a health plan – through Medicaid – is a group of doctors, hospitals and other providers that will work together to provide healthcare to meet collective needs. The goal is for every medical service – physical health, mental health and medicine – to come through the same healthcare plan.
A primary care provider (PCP) should also be selected to assist with health care needs, which could be in the form of a family doctor, clinic or other health care provider.
Recipients who already have a primary care provider may keep the one they have or choose a new one.
“Ideally, what the State wants is for all of the physicians that are currently enrolled and contracted with Medicaid to be enrolled and contracted with all four plans,” Davis explained. “This will give the recipients the liberty to continue with the same primary care physician regardless of which health plan they choose.”
DeVega announced that a series of informational sessions have been scheduled to guide local recipients through the requirements.
These sessions will be held at Vance Co. Department of Social Services at 350 Ruin Creek Rd in Henderson and are scheduled for Monday, August 26, from 9 – 11 a.m. and 2 – 4 p.m., and Tuesday, August 27 from 9 – 11 a.m. and 2 – 4 p.m.
It is recommended that those who are senior citizens bring a trusted family member or friend to assist in the selection process.
If unable to attend the information sessions, an outreach specialist is available for assistance at Vance Co. DSS from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Assistance will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
For a list of doctors for each health plan, or to enroll, visit ncmedicaidplans.gov, use the NC Medicaid Managed Care mobile app or call 1-833-870-5500. A language line is also available.
For eligibility information or with questions about Medicaid’s new requirements, contact Cathy Hope, 252-492-5001 x 3221, Shelonda Boyd, 252-492-5001 x 3266, Shalonda Daye, 252-492-5001 x 3204, or Vance County Department of Social Services, at 252-492-5001.
To hear the Vance Co. DSS interview in its entirety, including an introduction of new director DeVega, please click the play button below. Listen live to WIZS’ Town Talk Monday-Friday at 11 a.m. on 1450AM, 100.1 FM or online at www.wizs.com.
Connect With The Author
- Town Talk 12/05/19: ‘Smart’ Technology is Watching & Listening! - December 5, 2019
- Town Talk 12/04/19: Granville Plans Busy Weekend With Parades, Shows & More - December 4, 2019
- Town Talk 12/03/19: ‘Shop With A Cop’ Raffle Winners Announced - December 3, 2019
- Town Talk 12/02/19: Free Adoptions at Vance Co. Animal Shelter! - December 2, 2019
- Deadline for Medicare, Affordable Care Act Enrollment Fast Approaching - November 27, 2019
- Grace Ministries Feeds 5,000 During Annual ‘Meal and a Prayer’ Event - November 26, 2019
- Nits Nats Music to Close After 50 Years in Business - November 25, 2019
- Town Talk 11/25/19: Granville Tourism Announces Thanksgiving Week Events - November 25, 2019
- Kerr-Tar Area Agency on Aging Offering Caregiver Vouchers - November 22, 2019
- Town Talk 11/21/19: ‘Most Influential Fisherman’ Speaks to Vance Co. Students - November 21, 2019