-Information and flyer courtesy Tara Goolsby, Henderson-Vance Recreation and Parks Facilities Supervisor, Aycock Recreation Center
The Vance County Special Olympics 2019 Polar Plunge will be held at the Satterwhite Point Glasshouse on Saturday, February 2, 2019. Check-in will begin at 9:30 a.m. that morning; jump begins at 10:30 a.m. Inclement weather date will be Saturday, February 9, 2019.
The Polar Plunge is an event for courageous participants willing to jump into Kerr Lake in the middle of the winter, all to support and raise funds for the Special Olympics of Vance County.
The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with others.
All donations earned from the Polar Plunge will go to support local athletes. Individuals are required to collect a minimum of $30 to participate.
Prizes will be given for best costume (individual and team); most money raised (individual and team); and largest team.
Every participant will receive a t-shirt. There is a limit of 250 participants.
Registration forms, along with donations, are due by Friday, January 4, 2019, to Crystal Allen at the Aycock Rec. Center. For more information on the Polar Plunge and the registration form, please contact Crystal Allen at (252) 431-6091 or by email at [email protected]
Connect With The Author
- Second Suspect in Kittrell Food Mart Armed Robbery Arrested - February 21, 2020
- FREE Henderson Junior Firefighter Program Open to First 15 Participants - February 21, 2020
- MPH Relay For Life Team to Hold Quarter Auction, March Madness Buffet - February 21, 2020
- Granville Co. Activities: Feb. 22 – Feb. 29 - February 21, 2020
- Granville Chamber’s ‘Cluck ‘N Shuck’ Seafood Event Rescheduled for April - February 20, 2020
- Plank Chapel UMC Hosting Resources Brunch, Caregiving Discussion - February 20, 2020
- Henderson City Council to Hold Annual Strategic Planning Retreat - February 20, 2020
- Big Ruin Creek Baptist Church to Hold 220 Seafood Fundraiser - February 20, 2020
- Closings and Weather 02/20 – 02/21 - February 20, 2020
- George R. Watkins Receives United Way’s Sam Watkins Visionary Award - February 19, 2020