-Information and flyer courtesy Tara Goolsby, Henderson-Vance Recreation and Parks Facilities Supervisor, Aycock Recreation Center
The Vance County Special Olympics 2019 Polar Plunge will be held at the Satterwhite Point Glasshouse on Saturday, February 2, 2019. Check-in will begin at 9:30 a.m. that morning; jump begins at 10:30 a.m. Inclement weather date will be Saturday, February 9, 2019.
The Polar Plunge is an event for courageous participants willing to jump into Kerr Lake in the middle of the winter, all to support and raise funds for the Special Olympics of Vance County.
The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with others.
All donations earned from the Polar Plunge will go to support local athletes. Individuals are required to collect a minimum of $30 to participate.
Prizes will be given for best costume (individual and team); most money raised (individual and team); and largest team.
Every participant will receive a t-shirt. There is a limit of 250 participants.
Registration forms, along with donations, are due by Friday, January 4, 2019, to Crystal Allen at the Aycock Rec. Center. For more information on the Polar Plunge and the registration form, please contact Crystal Allen at (252) 431-6091 or by email at [email protected]
Connect With The Author
- Help Needed in Identifying F-150 Involved in Vance Construction Theft - December 14, 2018
- NC General Assembly Approves Deadline Extension for Agricultural Disaster Program - December 14, 2018
- Elevated Flood Risk for All of Central NC Through Early Next Week - December 14, 2018
- H-V Chamber & VGCC Partner to Present WOVEN – Networking Opportunities for Women - December 14, 2018
- Vance Co. Deputies Arrest Four on Charges of Narcotics Sales & Use - December 13, 2018
- Calling All Emerging Community Leaders: Time to Apply for Leadership Vance 2019 - December 13, 2018
- Public Hearing on Possible Middle School Consolidation Slated for Dec. 18 - December 13, 2018
- Woman Wanted for Questioning in Nans Lane Break-In - December 13, 2018
- Back by Popular Demand: Masters of Soul to Return to McGregor Hall - December 13, 2018
- Vance Co. Sheriff’s Office Locates, Arrests Six Local Absconders - December 12, 2018