-Information and flyer courtesy Tara Goolsby, Henderson-Vance Recreation and Parks Facilities Supervisor, Aycock Recreation Center
The Vance County Special Olympics 2019 Polar Plunge will be held at the Satterwhite Point Glasshouse on Saturday, February 2, 2019. Check-in will begin at 9:30 a.m. that morning; jump begins at 10:30 a.m. Inclement weather date will be Saturday, February 9, 2019.
The Polar Plunge is an event for courageous participants willing to jump into Kerr Lake in the middle of the winter, all to support and raise funds for the Special Olympics of Vance County.
The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities, giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with others.
All donations earned from the Polar Plunge will go to support local athletes. Individuals are required to collect a minimum of $30 to participate.
Prizes will be given for best costume (individual and team); most money raised (individual and team); and largest team.
Every participant will receive a t-shirt. There is a limit of 250 participants.
Registration forms, along with donations, are due by Friday, January 4, 2019, to Crystal Allen at the Aycock Rec. Center. For more information on the Polar Plunge and the registration form, please contact Crystal Allen at (252) 431-6091 or by email at [email protected]
Connect With The Author
- BoE Announces Henderson Candidates; Filing Extended for 3rd Ward - July 19, 2019
- Town of Kittrell, Middleburg Nov. Election Candidates Announced - July 19, 2019
- State Cabinet Secretary Visits VGCC - July 19, 2019
- Granville Co. Board of Election Releases Candidate Names - July 19, 2019
- VCSO: Silver Alert Issued for Robert Lewis Rogers - July 19, 2019
- Vance Co. Properties, Water Committee to Meet July 22 - July 19, 2019
- Deported Alien, Previously Found in Granville Co., Charged With Illegal Reentry - July 19, 2019
- Granville Board of Education to Meet in Closed Session - July 19, 2019
- Vance County Schools Announces Leadership Changes - July 18, 2019
- High School Students Explore Medical Science at VGCC South Campus - July 18, 2019