100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
-Press Release, Maria Parham Health
Heart disease continuously remains a leading cause of death among Americans, and those living in rural areas have a higher risk of mortality from heart-related issues due to lack of access to cardiac care. On May 1, 2019, Maria Parham Health performed the first Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI) in its Cardiac Catheterization Lab.
A PCI procedure is performed to open blocked arteries that supply blood to the heart tissue that is caused by coronary artery disease (CAD). The usual cause of CAD is a buildup of plaque which narrows those arteries and limits the supply of blood to the heart. Stents and/or balloons can be used to keep these arteries open.
Maria Parham Health’s Cardiac Cath Lab has been in operation since 2015. Diagnostic Cardiac Catheterizations have been provided since that time to diagnose coronary artery disease. Procedures also include Peripheral Angiograms, Angioplasty and Stenting to treat peripheral artery disease and restore blood flow to the legs.
Now, residents in Henderson and surrounding areas can access expanded cardiology services closer to home. “Expanding our cardiology care to the communities we serve is extremely important,” stated Bert Beard, Chief Executive Officer of Maria Parham Health. “Due to aging populations, cardiology care is going to continue to be a vital health care need for many rural communities, including ours. We want our community members to have access to the care they need close to home.”
Maria Parham Health’s cardiac cath lab is staffed by Duke Interventional Cardiologists, as well as local nurses and technicians. This expansion of the cardiac program to include PCI is a connecting link between the existing Chest Pain Accredited Emergency Department and the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program at Maria Parham Health.
“We are proud to offer this progressive approach to the residents of Henderson and the surrounding areas here at Maria Parham Health” said Lisa Wheeler, Director of Cardiology Services. The Duke Interventional Cardiologist are just moments away to serve you at Maria Parham Cardiology for diagnosis, treatment and follow up.”
These Duke physicians not only perform procedures in the Maria Parham cardiac cath lab, but also provide care to patients at Maria Parham Cardiology for diagnosis of cardiovascular disease, treatment, and follow up.
For more information on the cardiology services offered at Maria Parham Health, visit MariaParham.com. If you are in need of a cardiologist, call 800.424.DOCS (3627).
Connect With The Author
- Candidate Forums Scheduled Throughout Granville County - September 18, 2019
- City of Henderson’s Loose Leaf Season Dates Announced - September 18, 2019
- Perry Memorial Library Announces Fall 2019 Youth Programs - September 18, 2019
- Vance Co. Human Resources Committee to Meet Sept. 24 - September 18, 2019
- GCPS is ‘On The Move’ With Technology in Schools - September 18, 2019
- District Attorney Waters Addresses Granville Sheriff Investigation - September 18, 2019
- Murder Plot of Former Granville Co. Deputy Results in Indictment for Sheriff - September 17, 2019
- Wilkins, Granville Narcotics & Interstate Interdiction Under Investigation - September 17, 2019
- Fox Found on US 1-158 Tests Positive for Rabies - September 17, 2019
- Reminder: FGV Ducky Derby to ‘Flood’ Garnett St. This Saturday - September 17, 2019