— press release, H-V DDC
Local Grant Funds Garnett Street Improvements
Garnett Street will soon see more billboard vinyl advertising over some of the vacant storefronts thanks to a grant from the Vance County Community Foundation.
The Henderson-Vance Downtown Development Commission will use a grant of $1,880 from the foundation to design and install colorful vinyl billboard-type signage that will promote downtown events, specifically the McGregor Hall season and the annual classic car show, which continues to expand each year.
“Community response has been very positive for the ads we placed on the front of the former Abagayle’s Book Store in the Fall,” admits Kaine Riggan, Downtown Development Director. “It brings life to a dead space while sending the message that downtown is open for business.”
Riggan adds that storefront signage for vacant spaces was one of the key recommendations sited in the 2017 “Greenberg Report”, a grant-funded revitalization study of Henderson’s Central Business District by the Charlotte-based city planning consultant Hillary Greenberg.
The first project will be on the windows of 113 N. Garnett Street, owned by the Embassy Cultural Center Foundation and used for set and prop storage. That design will feature the look of a theatre and promote the upcoming shows at McGregor Hall. The second will redress the front of the two garages at 425 S. Garnett Street to look like a classic car showroom promoting the dates for the next Show, Shine, Shag & Dine event, produced by the county’s tourism department.
Fagan Goodwin, board president for the Vance County Community Foundation shares that she is delighted to see the momentum that downtown is experiencing and proud that the foundation can be supportive of that. “These grants are important to our community and our quality of life,” she said.
Signage will be printed and installed by downtown’s Kerr Lake Signs and Banners on Chestnut Street and is scheduled for installation in February.
Connect With The Author
- H-V Chamber Members Encouraged to Host Business After Hours - May 24, 2018
- Vance Co. Regional Farmer’s Market – Sat. May 26 - May 24, 2018
- Ribbon-Cuttings for Handyman Solutions/Mold & Moisture Medics - May 24, 2018
- Public Safety Committee to Meet Tues., June 5 - May 24, 2018
- Oxford Board of Commissioners Finance Committee to Meet Wed., May 30 - May 24, 2018
- Annual Warren Co. Chamber Meeting Set for Thurs., June 14 - May 24, 2018
- Two Raleigh Residents Arrested for Breaking/Entering in Franklin Co. - May 24, 2018
- VGCC Department Chair McGrady Recognized for National Faculty Award - May 23, 2018
- VGCC Trustees Expand Pharmacy Tech Programs with Certificates - May 23, 2018
- Privette Charged with Breaking/Entering, Larceny - May 23, 2018