100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
-Press Release, Wake County District Attorney’s Office
On Monday, the Grand Jury of Granville County returned indictments against elected Sheriff Brindell Wilkins for two counts of felony obstruction of justice. These charges come following a ten-month investigation by the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation, with the assistance of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, at the request of Wake County District Attorney Lorrin Freeman.
District Attorney Freeman adopted the case at the request of District Attorney Mike Waters, whose district includes Granville County, following a determination by Waters that he had a conflict in the matter.
Wilkins was voluntarily served with the indictments by agents with the State Bureau of Investigation, assisted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and processed on the charges. He appeared before a magistrate and released on a $20,000 unsecured bond.
His first court date will be October 9, 2019, at 9:30 a.m. in Granville County.
A second investigation into allegations concerning the Granville County Sheriff’s Office’s accounting practices and controlled substance interdiction efforts remains pending.
WIZS will bring you more on this story as it develops.
Connect With The Author
- ‘Cops on Top’ Fundraiser TOMORROW at Henderson Chick-fil-A - October 14, 2019
- Vance Co. Properties Committee to Hear on Eaton Johnson Building Progress - October 14, 2019
- Reminder: Tour de Vance Registration Runs Through Fri.; Bike Ride Set for Sat. - October 14, 2019
- Downtown Oxford Trick-or-Treating Set for Halloween Day - October 14, 2019
- Youth Basketball Clinic to Focus on Gun/Gang Violence Awareness - October 14, 2019
- More Than $3.4M in Grants Awarded by NC Tobacco Trust Fund Commission - October 14, 2019
- H-V Chamber, IOPL to Sponsor Televised Hometown Healthcare Debate - October 11, 2019
- Closing Chestnut Alley, Rezoning Beckford Dr. on City Council’s Oct. Agenda - October 11, 2019
- Granville County Crime Stoppers to Host Annual Banquet - October 11, 2019
- Vance County Schools to Hold District Parent Night - October 11, 2019