-Press Release, County of Granville
At the December 3 meeting of the Board, three Granville County Commissioners were sworn into service. With the November election of David Smith, Tim Karan and Edgar Smoak, the makeup of the Board remains unchanged as all incumbents were re-elected to represent their respective districts.
Comm. David Smith, representing District 2, is a retired Granville County Sheriff. He will continue to serve on the Audit Review Committee, the Board of Equalization and Review, the Human Relations Commission, the Kerr-Tar Regional Council of Governments Board, the Oxford Downtown Economic Development Commission Board, the Senior Services Advisory Committee and the Triangle North Board. In addition, he will continue to serve as Finance Liaison for the Board and is an ex-officio member of the Granville Health System Board of Trustees.
Comm. Smith was sworn into office by Debra Weary, Granville County’s Clerk to the Board, with his family by his side.
Comm. Karan, District 6, is a “stay at home dad.” His committee/liaison assignments include the Board of Equalization and Review, the Digital Infrastructure Planning Committee, the Economic Development Advisory Board, the Extension Leadership Advisory Council, the Greenway Advisory Council, the Fire Services Committee, the Opioid Advisory Council, the Granville Health System Board of Trustees, the South Granville Water and Sewer Authority (SGWASA) and the Private Industry Council.
Comm. Karan also serves as a School Administration Liaison and the Granville Athletic Park/Recreation Committee Liaison and is an alternate for the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (CAMPO).
N.C. House Representative Larry Yarborough officiated the swearing-in ceremony for Comm. Karan, as Karan’s family looked on.
District 7’s representative, Comm. Edgar Smoak, is the former Board Chairman. Retired from military service, his committee/liaison assignments include the Area Mental Health Board, the Audit Review Committee, the Board of Equalization and Review, the Opioid Advisory Committee, the Granville Health System Board of Trustees, the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (CAMPO), the South Granville Water and Sewer Authority (SGWASA) and the Transportation Plan Work Group. He will also continue to serve as Public Safety Liaison, as well as a liaison for the Soil and Water Board and for Water Sewer Matters.
With his family alongside, Comm. Smoak was also sworn in by N.C. House Representative Larry Yarborough.
All three Commissioners have served since 2010.
Comm. Zelodis Jay, District 1, was elected to serve as Chairman for the upcoming year and Comm. Smith was elected to serve as Vice-Chair.
To reach any member of the Board of Commissioners, call 919-693-4761. A County Commissioner Directory is available at https://www.granvillecounty.org/government/county-commissioners/commissioner-directory.
Connect With The Author
- No Charge Food Distribution Scheduled for Thurs., Dec. 12 - December 9, 2019
- McGregor Hall to Offer Three Performances of ‘Black Nativity’ - December 9, 2019
- Oxford’s Newly Elected to be Administered Oath of Office – Dec. 10 - December 9, 2019
- Enjoy ‘Pancakes With Santa’ at Crystal River Church of God - December 9, 2019
- Propane Safety Paramount as Cold Weather Approaches - December 9, 2019
- VCRFM 2019 Season Ends This Weekend! - December 6, 2019
- VCSO: Undercover Operation Ends in Two Drug Arrests - December 6, 2019
- Henderson City Council to Swear In Newly Elected Officials at Mon. Meeting - December 6, 2019
- Vance Co. Board of Commissioners to Meet Mon., Dec. 9 - December 6, 2019
- Vance Co. Schools to Host District-Wide Family Night Dec. 10 - December 6, 2019