100.1 FM / 1450 AM WIZS; Local News broadcasts M-F 8am, 12pm, 5pm
-Information courtesy Vance-Granville Community College
Oneisha Rebecca Leonard came to Vance-Granville Community College in 2011 as a Granville Early College High School student. “I was a good student, with mostly A’s and B’s, but I was not as focused on school as I should have been until I began taking classes at Vance-Granville,” Leonard recalled.
She said that because of her college classes, “I became more focused on my future.”
Leonard said that VGCC prepared her for the next level of education by helping her hone not only her academic skills, such as writing papers and doing research but also her time management skills. Eventually, she transferred to Winston-Salem State University.
“Vance-Granville gave me the tools I needed to succeed in college by preparing me for what to expect and what was expected of me,” Leonard said. “My instructors at Vance-Granville were, and still are, some of the best instructors I have ever had.”
She credits her academic experience at VGCC with setting the stage for her to make the dean’s list every semester at the university. She also became a student leader, as a member and chapter president of Sigma Tau Delta, the international English honor society. “I also presented at the South Atlantic Modern Language Association Conference this past November in Birmingham, Alabama, where I gave a presentation on my research on post-colonialism and psychoanalytic theory as it related to western colonization,” Leonard said.
With her VGCC credits and preparation, Leonard was able to graduate a year early from Winston-Salem State University in May 2019 with a bachelor’s degree in English. Now, she is preparing to attend graduate school. But she still appreciates where her higher education began, saying, “I would like to thank Vance-Granville Community College for all they have done for me, while I attended and after I left.”
Connect With The Author
- School Resource Officer Under Investigation for Assault on VCMS Student - December 13, 2019
- McGregor Hall to Transform Into Christmas Wonderland for Holiday Spectacular - December 13, 2019
- Vance Co. Schools Holds ‘Community to Schools’ Tour - December 13, 2019
- VGCC’s Kenneth Wilson Receives Glen Raven Award - December 13, 2019
- Take the ‘Polar Plunge’ For Vance Co. Special Olympics - December 13, 2019
- Mark Your 2020 Calendars for the New Horizons Baptist Stew Sale! - December 13, 2019
- Vance Co. Sheriff’s Office Seeking Info. on I-85 Shooting - December 12, 2019
- Vance Co. Board of Commissioners Select New Chair, Vice Chair - December 12, 2019
- Baskerville Funeral Home Invites Community to ‘Service of Remembrance’ - December 12, 2019
- Two Arrested, 484 Grams of Cocaine Seized in Multi-Agency Drug Investigation - December 12, 2019