Brides on Wheels

“Brides on Wheels” to Offer Bridal Couples Tour of Granville Vendors

Angela Allen, director for the Granville County Tourism Development Authority, was on Thursday’s edition of WIZS’ Town Talk program to discuss the second Annual “Brides on Wheels: Bridal Tour & Vendor Show,” or “BOWs” for short, taking place Sunday, April 14, 2019.

“This event gives brides and their guests an opportunity to ride on a limo bus to view four different venues, including Granville County’s own Cedar Grove Acres, Vino Oasi, Carlee Farms and Thorndale Oaks,” said Allen.

The bridal tour will depart the Clarion Inn and Suites located at 913 MLK Ave. in Oxford, NC at 1 p.m. and will return at 6 p.m. Prior to the tour, the Clarion Inn will be the site of a public vendor show to be held in the ballroom from 12 until 4 p.m.

Participants who purchase the $35 combo ticket for the tour and the show will have a sneak-peek opportunity of the vendors’ ware in the Clarion ballroom beginning at 11 a.m. This combo ticket also includes a goodie bag filled with items from participating vendors. Seating is limited.

Tickets for the vendor show only are available for $20.

To promote the local area, Granville County vendors have first dibs on registration for the show. “We invite all Granville County vendors involved in the event planning business, such as photographers, caterers, florists and DJs, to participate,” Allen said.

All interested Granville vendors are asked to register by this Friday, February 15, 2019. After Friday, vendor registration will be open to areas outside of the county.

“We really want to showcase all of the wonderful things we have right here in Granville County to offer brides and anyone who wants to put together a special event,” said Allen.

According to Allen, last year’s tour – the first annual event – attracted eight brides, one groom and their family members, and was considered a success. “I’m happy to say three out of the four venues were booked from that particular tour. We had a diverse group of brides – some from the local area, some from Raleigh and some from the Greensboro/High Point area.”

Created as a way to promote Granville County, Allen said the bridal tour and show boosts the local economy, promotes local vendors and makes both residents and nonresidents alike aware of what the county has to offer.

“We’re not that far away; I-85 makes us very convenient to a lot of people,” Allen said. “Come hop on the bus with us!”

Tickets are available through Event Brite. Please click here to follow the event on Facebook.

Interested brides, family members or vendors may contact Allen at (919) 693-6125 or email angela.allen@granvillecounty.org with additional questions or for registration assistance.

To hear the Town Talk interview with Angela Allen in its entirety, including additional conversation regarding tourism in Granville County, please click here.

Louisburg Man Wanted for Numerous Construction/Real Estate Scams

-Press Release, Franklin County Sheriff’s Office

The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office is seeking information on the whereabouts of James Barry Faircloth. James Faircloth is a suspect in numerous fraudulent scams against unsuspecting victims. Scams include construction and real estate fraud. James also goes by the names JB Faircloth, Barry Faircloth, Jay Faircloth, James Fairchild and James Barri.

If you believe you’re a victim of a scam committed by James Barry Faircloth, contact the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Division.

If you have any information on the whereabouts of James Barry Faircloth, please call Crime Stoppers at (919) 496-7867. Felony warrants are on file.

James Barry Faircloth

353 Hidden Forest Rd.

Louisburg, NC 27549

DOB: 10/26/1957

The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office is seeking information on the whereabouts of James Barry Faircloth. Faircloth is a suspect in numerous fraudulent scams against unsuspecting victims. Scams include construction and real estate fraud. (Photos courtesy FCSO)

 

4-H Logo

Four County 4-H Poultry Show & Sale Interest Meeting – Feb. 27

-Information courtesy NC Cooperative Extension – Warren County Center

2019 FOUR COUNTY 4-H POULTRY SHOW AND SALE INTEREST MEETING

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 | 6:30 p.m.

Vance County Regional Farmers Market

210 South Park Drive, Henderson, NC 27536

All children ages 5-18 are invited to join us on February 27 at the Vance County Regional Farmer’s Market to discuss plans for the 2019 Four County 4-H Poultry Show and Sale.

Whether this would be your first time participating or you have participated for many years, you won’t want to miss this meeting. We will be selecting the two breeds of chicken to raise this year, so if you would like to share your input, please plan on attending.

If you are unable to attend the meeting but are interested in participating in the show and sale, please call our office and let us know so that we can get the information out to you.

Please call (252) 257-3640 for more information and to RSVP!

Vance County Logo

Vance Co. Water, Public Safety Committees to Meet Feb. 25

-Information courtesy Kelly H. Grissom, Executive Assistant/Clerk to Board, Vance County Board of Commissioners

Please be informed of the following committee meetings. These will be held in the Administrative Conference Room, Vance County Administration Building, 122 Young Street, Henderson, NC.

Water Committee (Wilder, Brummitt, Taylor)

Monday, February 25, 2019 – 3 p.m.

– LKC engineering contract for Phase 1B

Public Safety Committee (Wilder, Brummitt, Faines)

Monday, February 25, 2019 – 3:30 p.m. or immediately following the water committee meeting.

– 911 Addressing

– VFD Contracts

NC Dept of Agriculture

NCDACS Accepting Applications for Healthy Food Small Retailer Program

-Press Release, North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services

The N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services will offer grant assistance to convenience stores interested in offering healthier food options to those living in one of the state’s 349 food deserts. The funding is a part of the Healthy Food Small Retailer Program.

“The goal of the Healthy Food Small Retailer program is to help bring more healthy, locally grown food options to the 1.5 million people impacted by food deserts in North Carolina,” said Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler. “Convenience stores are integral parts of fighting food insecurity in local communities.”

The Healthy Food Small Retailer Program, which is administered by the department, was established in the 2016 state budget bill (HB 1030). The 2019 program will reimburse participating stores for refrigeration, freezer and stocking equipment needed to offer healthier items.

Store owners have until March 4, 2019, to apply for priority consideration. Applications will continue to be accepted until March 31, subject to availability of funds.

In addition to being in a food desert (online search available at www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-access-research-atlas/), store owners applying for funding under HFSRP must meet the following criteria:

  • Accept or agree to accept Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits;
  • Accept or agree to apply to accept Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) benefits;
  • Have no more than 3,000 square feet of heated floor space;
  • Be established as a for-profit business at the time of application;
  • Have not previously received HFSRP funds.

Interested store owners can find more information about the program and download an application at www.ncagr.gov/HealthyRetailer.

In addition, store owners may call 919-707-3173 or email HealthyRetailer@ncagr.gov.

News 02/14/19

Town Talk 02/14/19

Jarvis Dante Perry, Suspect in Vance Co. Murder, Found in Oxford

Henderson Police Chief Marcus Barrow told WIZS News that as of 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, February 13, 2019, Jarvis Dante Perry was in custody.

Perry is a suspect in a shooting case in Henderson.

According to an earlier press release from Chief Barrow, Saturday, February 9 around 2 a.m. in the 400 block of Charles Street, shots were fired into a vehicle occupied by Ileana Jones, age 37, and two others.

Ileana Jones was struck by the gunfire and later succumbed to her injuries at a medical facility.

Barrow said Wednesday afternoon that Henderson Police received “reliable information that he was located in Oxford. We went and swore out a search warrant for the location in Oxford.”

Barrow said, “Our guys went over there, got up with Oxford PD, and went and executed the search warrant, and took him into custody without issue.”

Wednesday night, Barrow issued the following press statement, “Today, the 13th day of February, the Special Operations Division of the Henderson Police Department developed information that Javius Dan’te Perry was located in the apartment complex on Hillside Drive, Oxford NC. Agents contacted Oxford Police Department and ascended on this location, taking Javius Dan’te Perry into custody. Perry was brought back to Henderson for questioning and will be taken to the Vance County Jail after his appearance before the Magistrate.

“The Henderson Police Department is grateful for the assistance and support received from the SBI, Vance County Sheriff’s Office, the Oxford Police Department, and especially the family of the victim.”

Dabney Drive

Section of Dabney Dr. to Close This Evening for Sewer Line Repair

-Information courtesy Esther J. McCrackin, City Clerk, City of Henderson

Dabney Drive will be closed for through traffic from Coble Boulevard to Roanoke Avenue beginning Wednesday, February 13, 2019, at 10 p.m. The work should be completed by 12 p.m. on Thursday, February 14, 2019.

This closure is necessary to repair a sewer line across Dabney Drive. The City of Henderson does not anticipate any interruption of water or sewer service to customers during the repair.

Traffic will be detoured around the closure utilizing Coble Boulevard, Nelson Street and Roanoke Avenue.

Local traffic will have access to and from properties within the closed portion of Dabney Drive.

New Orleans-Themed ‘Mardi Paws’ Fundraiser to Benefit Local Animal Services

Frankie Nobles, chief of Vance County Animal Services, was on Wednesday’s edition of WIZS’ Town Talk program to discuss the upcoming “Mardi Paws” fundraiser to be held at Kerr Lake Country Club in Henderson on Saturday, February 23, 2019, from 7 p.m. until midnight.

Hosted by West Hills Veterinary Centre, the Mardi Gras-themed event will include live music from The Soul Psychedelic Orchestra, heavy hors d’oeuvres from Henderson’s own Next Door Bistro, cocktails, a full cash bar and a silent auction.

The New Orleans-inspired menu will include a crawfish boil, shrimp & grit cakes, muffaletta, sweet & spicy corn fritters, catfish bites, Cajun fries, bread pudding & whiskey sauce and a bananas foster station.

Tickets are on sale now and may be purchased at the door the night of the fundraiser, by visiting West Hills Vet or by calling (252) 654-9738. Individual tickets are $60; $100 per couple. Each ticket includes two beer/wine tickets.

Guests are encouraged to dress accordingly in cocktail and Mardi Gras-inspired attire, complete with a mask to match the masquerade theme. This is a 21-and-over event and it is asked that you leave your pets at home.

Money raised at the fundraiser will benefit the Vance County Animal Shelter and the Ruin Creek Animal Protection Society.

Nobles said he is thankful for fundraising efforts by organizations such as West Hills Vet because his job would be “impossible” without the support of local vets and the community.

“We invite you to come out and support local animal services,” said Nobles. “It is going to be a fun night with beads, dancing and all sorts of things.”

To hear the Town Talk interview with Frankie Nobles in its entirety, please click here.