-Information courtesy Jordan McMillen, County Manager, Vance County
To assist the public, the County of Vance has posted several documents related to the fire commission’s proposed reorganization of the County’s fire services on their website. The County will be seeking public comments at the Vance County Board of Commissioners meeting to be held on Monday, January 7, 2019.
The proposal includes the following changes:
– Converts the Goldenbelt fire district into a volunteer district with the Rescue Squad reincorporating as a volunteer fire department and rescue to take on the district.
– Moves existing county fire staff out of Goldenbelt district and splits them between Hicksboro and Bearpond Volunteer Departments; moves the county fire staff under the fire marshal/fire services department for oversight of paid personnel and creates an Assistant Fire Marshal position.
– Utilizes savings from the general fund county fire department operational expenses to offset costs in fire fund for 12 part-time positions, two at each station for Cokesbury, Drewry, Kittrell, Townsville, Watkins, and the newly constituted Goldenbelt volunteer fire departments during the day-time.
– Provides $200,000 in annual funding to the Rescue Squad as the new volunteer fire department that would also take ownership and associated debt of County’s newly ordered fire truck.
– Includes paying off the existing Kerr-Lake substation and county tanker debt from the general and/or fire fund balance.
– Provides equal funding of $100,000 to the border departments, Drewry and Epsom.
– Eliminates the substation funding of $10,000 for Hicksboro and eliminates the rotating capital funding of $30,000, with the fire fund being used to assist departments with 50/50 grants and capital needs.
– Moves dispatch from three alarm to four alarm.
Connect With The Author
- Help Needed in Identifying F-150 Involved in Vance Construction Theft - December 14, 2018
- NC General Assembly Approves Deadline Extension for Agricultural Disaster Program - December 14, 2018
- Elevated Flood Risk for All of Central NC Through Early Next Week - December 14, 2018
- H-V Chamber & VGCC Partner to Present WOVEN – Networking Opportunities for Women - December 14, 2018
- Vance Co. Deputies Arrest Four on Charges of Narcotics Sales & Use - December 13, 2018
- Calling All Emerging Community Leaders: Time to Apply for Leadership Vance 2019 - December 13, 2018
- Public Hearing on Possible Middle School Consolidation Slated for Dec. 18 - December 13, 2018
- Woman Wanted for Questioning in Nans Lane Break-In - December 13, 2018
- Back by Popular Demand: Masters of Soul to Return to McGregor Hall - December 13, 2018
- Vance Co. Sheriff’s Office Locates, Arrests Six Local Absconders - December 12, 2018