On the Home and Garden Show with Vance Co. Cooperative Ext.
- Provide cutworm protection around transplants by placing a cardboard collar around your transplant and tuck the collar down in the soil about 2 inches
- Use good sanitation practices with garden tools and equipment to reduce risk of introducing weeds and transmitting diseases.
- It should be safe now to put out your rain gauges
- Doublecheck blade height on your mower.
- Always wear PPE when mowing. Eye protection, sun protection, solid toe shoes
- Use no more than about 3 inches of mulch around trees, shrubs and other plantings. Never place mulch against the trunk.
- With the cost of fertilizer a good soil sample is really needed they are free of charge.
- Repellant sprays can help with deer browsing on ornamental plantings, but will need to be reapplied periodically.
- Check plants growing in planters each day for moisture they they can dry out quickly under warm conditions