Cooperative Extension with Wayne Rowland 07/18/17

Local Police, Fire and EMS team up to save life

Earlier today, I witnessed an incredible series of events in Downtown Henderson. I was walking out of a meeting at the Henderson Police Department, when a call came out for local police, fire and EMS to respond to the intersection of Breckenridge and Chestnut Street for a medical emergency. When I heard that, I turned around and was able to witness Corey Adams of the Henderson Fire Department, and Chief Williams of the Vance County Fire Department begin the process of resuscitating a man that had apparently overdosed. The man was unconscious at the wheel of his vehicle (with the car still in drive and his foot on the brake) when Adams noticed that something was wrong. Adams turned around and placed the call in to other area agencies. Adams, Williams and representatives from the Henderson Police Department and EMS were able to resuscitate the man before placing him inside of an ambulance.

It was hard for me to believe what I saw.

I asked for a description of what had happened from Adams, and his response is below.

“Kevin I really appreciate the gratitude, but I really didn’t do nothing special. Just like you have gone to school for broadcasting and marketing, I went to school for situations like that. I did nothing else that any police, fire or ems person would have done, I was just the one in the right place at the right time. I just happen to notice a person that seemed in distress, when I checked on him I knew he was having a medical emergency. At that moment all of my  EMS training kick in to help the patient the best of my abilities. I was lucky enough to have Chief Williams from Vance County Fire Department around the corner to assist me in helping the patient. I removed the patient from the vehicle  so me and Chief Williams could better assist the patient until the arrival Of EMS. The Public Safety services  here in Vance County And the City as you saw firsthand work very well together. The citizens of this city are very lucky to have the service they have here, because you won’t find no better.”

Henderson and Vance County may have its fair share of problems. Everywhere does. However, Adams’ last sentence is quite correct. We are lucky to have that type of service and expertise right here in our hometown.

Vance County Schools Show 07/17/17

Local Missing Person Found Submerged in Vehicle at Satterwhite Point

David Alfonzo Young, 71, who was reported missing back in May, was found submerged inside his 1990 Dodge Dakota at the Satterwhite Point Marina boat ramp over the weekend.  Sheriff Peter White told WIZS News, “It looked as though he drove straight down the boat ramp.”

No foul play is suspected in this case as the truck was in drive when it entered the water. “Why he drove into the water we don’t know,” stated White.

Several boats have launched from the ramp since May, but one boater thought he hit something with his propeller and called local authorities.

An autopsy is being conducted in this case.

Cooperative Extension with Wayne Rowland 07/17/17

Henderson Police Department to host Night Out Against Crime

In cooperation with the “34th Annual National Night Out” the Henderson/Vance Night Out Against Crime Committee and the Henderson Police Department will be hosting the Henderson/Vance Night Out Against Crime on Breckenridge Street in downtown Henderson on August 1, 2017. The event is scheduled from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM with set-up beginning at 3:00 PM.

The introduction of National Night Out, “America’s Night Out Against Crime”, in 1984 began an effort to promote involvement in crime prevention activities, police-community partnerships, neighborhood camaraderie and send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back. NATW’s National Night Out program culminates annually, on the first Tuesday of August (In Texas, the first Tuesday of October).

National Night Out now involves over 38.5 million people and 16,500 communities from all fifty states, U.S. Territories, Canadian cities, and military bases worldwide.

The traditional “lights on” campaign and symbolic front porch vigils turned into a celebration across America with various events and activities including, but not limited to, block parties, cookouts, parades, visits from emergency personnel, rallies and marches, exhibits, youth events, safety demonstrations and seminars, in effort to heighten crime and drug prevention awareness; generate support for, and participation in, local anticrime efforts, and strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships, and send a message to criminals letting them know neighborhoods are organized and fighting back. Events for this year’s Night Out include displays of law enforcement and public safety vehicles and equipment, informational booths for public safety and public health agencies and organizations, and children’s activities.

The Event Coordinator for the Henderson/Vance Night Out Against Crime 2017 is Community Services Sergeant Jessica B. West of the Henderson Police Department. Agencies and organizations involved in public safety and related fields that may be interested in participating in the event may contact Sergeant West at (252) 431-6061 or via email jwest@hendersonncpd.org .

Authority: Marcus W. Barrow, Chief of Police

Henderson, North Carolina Couple Sentenced for Heroin and Firearms Offenses

ELIZABETH CITY – United States Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina John Stuart Bruce announced that in federal court yesterday, United States District Judge Terrence W. Boyle sentenced MICHAEL L. MILES and ROSLYN WYNN of Henderson, North Carolina for possession with intent to distribute heroin and firearms charges. MILES was sentenced to 108 months imprisonment for possession with intent to distribute heroin and possessing a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime. WYNN was sentenced to 5 years of probation for her role in the possession with intent to distribute heroin.

MILES and WYNN were named in a three-count Indictment filed in the Eastern District of North Carolina on June 28, 2016. Count one charged MILES and WYNN with Conspiracy to Distribute and Possession with the Intent to Distribute a Quantity of Heroin from April 1, 2016, to June 28, 2016.

On May 26, 2016, Henderson Police Department officers executed a search warrant at MILES and WYNN’s house in Henderson, North Carolina. As a result of the search, the following items were seized: a FN Five-seven semi-automatic handgun; a 9 mm firearm; 50 bindles of heroin; multiple rounds of ammunition; a digital scale; ten cell phones; and $4,684 in United States currency. Officers also executed a search warrant at the storage unit rented by WYNN, which resulted in the seizure of approximately 63.44 grams of heroin, a stolen AR-15 semiautomatic rifle, a stolen AK-47 semi-automatic rifle, and ammunition. During an interview with law enforcement, MILES informed officers that he directed WYNN to rent the storage unit on his behalf.

This investigation was part of the Strategic Heroin Initiative, initiated by the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of North Carolina in partnership with the Department of Justice’s Organized Crime and Drug Enforcement Task Force (OCDETF).

The case was investigated by the Henderson Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (ATF). The federal prosecution was handled by Assistant United States Attorney Edward D. Gray.

Cooperative Extension with Jean Bell 07/13/17

Animal Kingdom 07/12/17

Cooperative Extension with Paul McKenzie 07/12/17